Author Topic: Which English TM cookery book?  (Read 21668 times)

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
Re: Which English TM cookery book?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 02:28:19 am »
I would have a look at the Thermomix Australia website which has our Australian TMX books listed and some other countries books (mainly Italian from memory) that are on sale.  There is also a contact area where you can email the Aus HQ and ask them about prices and postage.  I would imagine international postage from Aus to US would be quite expensive too. 

Chelsea  :)

Thanks Chelsea. I think you are right, the postage will be high. I wish they would offer the books as a downloadable PDF. I think a lot of people would pay for that if the cost was reasonable. Anyway, no harm in asking, but the recipes here on the forum are very good.
Aunt Annie

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »
Hi CarolineW

I thought perhaps I was being a bit harsh about the UK cookbook so i have just had a quick flick through meat and poultry and found the following examples:
P116 Cashew chicken - Sauce made in TMX but dish cooked in saute casserole on hob for 45 minutes
P124 Lamb curry with mushrooms - Sauce made in TMX, meat browned on stovetop, dish cooked in oven 2 hours
P131 Chicken with a tomato and fennel sauce - Garlic chopped in TMX, all other ingredients (vegetables, herbs & chicken) sauteed then into oven for 15 minutes
P132 Red chicken curry - Red curry paste & rice made in TMX, rest done in pan on stove top

I don't think I'd be alone when I say that I seem to need to cook "whole meals" in my TMX. After all it is a THERMOMIX - not just a wimpy "food processor"!!! Things like creamy salami & tomato fettucine, curries, bolognaise, etc and varoma dishes (liquid in bowl, meat & veg in basket & varoma) which produce a complete meat & veg meal with sauce satisfy this need. How many of us have eaten almost raw vegetables because we are determined that they are going to cook in the same time as the things below the varoma? Or am I the only one!

All of the above recipes (which all sound quite appealling!), could have quite easily been done wholly in the TMX so perhaps the recipes have been amended already to reflect this. (My F&EC book has a 2006 date in it.) As they are I don't think they utilise the TMX"s versatility.

Do you know, I'd never noticed any of those!  I have to agree with you.  I thought I'd pretty much read the book cover to cover, too.   Still, the majority of the 250+ recipes are TMX, but yes, why not just do it all in the TMX for these recipes, it's totally possible.  Perhaps the texture isn't quite so good or something?  I know that the people writing it are real gourmets, and quite perfectionistic.  Part of why it's good on the whole, of course  ;D  But I agree, I'm one who would rather do it all in the TMX if it can be done.  For the same reasons  :)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 03:47:58 am »

Thanks Chelsea. I think you are right, the postage will be high. I wish they would offer the books as a downloadable PDF. I think a lot of people would pay for that if the cost was reasonable. Anyway, no harm in asking, but the recipes here on the forum are very good.
[/quote]

Ohhh Aunt Annie that is a brilliant idea ! I for one would certainly pay the "copyright" cost so to speak of a pdf downloadable recipe book from other countries - actually not even international ones - even the ones from HQ here in Oz...think of the paper we would save if we bought ebooks  for the TMX ;D

We buy ebooks all the time.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 05:27:28 am »
Just incase any Aussies are interested in buying the English tmx books - these were the prices I was recently quoted from the UK HQ:

"Fast and Easy Cooking" has 300 recipes and costs UK£19.95 plus UK£12.95 for postage and packing to Australia.

"Demonstrator Delights", 88 favourite recipes from our UK Demonstrators, UK£12.95 and an additional £2.00 for post
& packing if shipped with "Fast and Easy Cooking".

Depending on the conversion rate you are looking at about $100AU (which includes postage) for the two books.  That doesn't include any bank or credit card fees however.  International bank transfers and cheques are over $30AU now from memory, so credit card is probably the best option (have to fax or phone through details though - not email).

Chelsea  :)

P.S - I agree - if only they did them as ebooks!!!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 05:30:42 am »
might be worth doing a group order from here, then sending them out from here.

i would be willing to do it but can be somewhat unreliable about remembering to send things quickly LOL (ie: you'd get them but possibly not for a few weeks ;))
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 06:39:26 am »
That might not save any money either Karen speaking from my ebay experiences. If their international postage is the same as ours (where it is based on weight) then by the time you get a heavy parcel here and then the cost of resending it out again to everyone here (Aussie Post isn't exactly cheap either lol!) I think you would be lucky to save any money. Don't know if Royal Post have a website where you could do some homework like our Aussie Post does. You would just need to know how much the books weigh each - PDF PLEASE lol  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 03:57:46 pm »
That might not save any money either Karen speaking from my ebay experiences. If their international postage is the same as ours (where it is based on weight) then by the time you get a heavy parcel here and then the cost of resending it out again to everyone here (Aussie Post isn't exactly cheap either lol!) I think you would be lucky to save any money. Don't know if Royal Post have a website where you could do some homework like our Aussie Post does. You would just need to know how much the books weigh each - PDF PLEASE lol  ;)

Their website is here http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 09:55:36 pm »
Any of you have an "in" with the Powers That Be in Thermomix HQ? Tell them we did a poll and want .pdfs and ebooks. Maybe they just haven't thought of that yet. Too busy doing amazing engineering stuff.

:P
Aunt Annie

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 02:58:25 am »
Caroline, would you be so kind and let us know the weights of the books so we can do the maths.  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »
Caroline, would you be so kind and let us know the weights of the books so we can do the maths.  ;)
Book with packaging, as weighed on TMX, is 770 g

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 02:46:11 am »
Is that for both the Fast & Easy Cooking and the Demonstrators Delights Caroline? You are a treasure  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 09:44:35 pm »
That was for Fast and Easy.  I'll try and remember to weigh Demonstrators Delight next time I'm around it.  It can't possibly be much.  About the same as the Cyndi O'Meara Healthy Eating, I would expect.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 11:08:36 am »
Right, just weighed it and the Demonstrators Delight one is 140g