Author Topic: Forum Fest 2015 Melbourne  (Read 196183 times)

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
Re: Forum Fest 2015 Melbourne
« Reply #600 on: October 12, 2015, 09:30:47 am »
Don is in intensive care because there are no beds in cardiac.  I understand that. Still being monitored, so all good.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 12, 2015, 09:32:25 am »
Best place for him Michele. Get some rest. He is in good hands.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 12, 2015, 09:34:23 am »
Wonder I know nothing about restaurants in Melbourne so I am in your hands. Whatever you choose is fine with me.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:12 am »
Judy we could do that Sat night after our busy day.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 12, 2015, 09:44:19 am »
That sounds a great idea. Wonder's selection for Friday evening and the hotel for Saturday evening.

Mich, sending love to you and Don.

Wonder I am happy to go with whatever you think best. We may not make the 20 people for that choice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 12, 2015, 12:18:05 pm »
I'm going to make an executive decision, or maybe a Moderator's one. Let's have dinner in the hotel on Saturday evening. We can always buy some drinks of the alcoholic variety and consume them in someone's room after dinner.

If the worst comes to the worst we can buy food at The Emporium and drinks and consume them at the hotel.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 12, 2015, 01:51:23 pm »
Dear Michele, only just read your news. I am hoping Don makes a full and speedy recovery. So disappointed we will not be catching up and travelling to Sydney together. Take care of yourself.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 12, 2015, 02:20:17 pm »
Good idea cookie, most people have said they'll go along with any plans made so an approximate number shouldn't be hard to come up with.  Thank you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 12, 2015, 07:58:44 pm »
I'm up for dinner both nights.

This may be elsewhere on the thread, but as things stand at the moment:

Dinner / get together somewhere for Thursday night?
Nothing planned for Friday during the day
Friday dinner getting organised
Saturday Alyce Alexandra's class / South Melbourne Market visit
Saturday evening dinner at the hotel
Sunday lunch on tramcar restaurant

I am sure I have got something wrong there.  Have I included something that is no longer happening or has been change?  Have missed anything out?

I keep reminding myself that I have to get a $50 gift voucher, a boa and a mask as well.  I am planning on using Friday as a shopping day if I am in the mood.  I might go down Bridge Road, but that is pretty well dead now. There is a big new factory outlet shopping centre out towards the airport / Essendon way ... has anyone been there?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:36 pm »
As far as I recall Marina, you are pretty well right with your list of activities.  It seems to slowly be coming together.  Friday as a shopping day sounds good to me, who doesn't like to go shopping. Last time I did Bridge Road I did notice lots of empty shops but still managed to pick up some bargains in a few stores. 

I haven't done the Queen Vic market for years and would like to do that at some stage.  I've checked opening times on the days we have still have some free time. Friday 8-3 and Sunday 9-4 (our tramcar lunch is at 1pm from what I've read). 

I've not heard of the outlet out Essendon way but have been to the one near the Exhibition Centre which I wasn't really impressed with.  I really would have liked to have gone on a shopping tour which included lunch. I did one many years ago with DD when she first moved over there and we had a great time, it was a small group of 4 so we were transported in a Tarago and had lunch in Lygon Street.

As CP did in W.A. and I did in Adelaide, once again it is essential that someone has a list of your mobile  phone numbers in case we get separated, also a next of kin contact number and once you know your hotel room number, that would be handy as well. I'd be happy to take charge of that list if you'd like to pm your information to me.  It is now only 10 days before some of us start arriving, time is running out to finish planning this get together.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #610 on: October 13, 2015, 12:01:01 am »
If dinner at hotel is an option for Sat night, could someone pick up the organizing as things have gone gang busters here. Thanks.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 13, 2015, 12:06:20 am »
We understand that dear Chookie, cookie is going to take that one on.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 13, 2015, 12:12:07 am »
If dinner at hotel is an option for Sat night, could someone pick up the organizing as things have gone gang busters here. Thanks.
Complete change of subject here, but does that mean a good type of gang busters ... perhaps you've sold your house Chookie??  I do so very much hope so.

Judy, I think you may have all my relevant details, but I will PM them to you so you don't waste time searching for the information.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 13, 2015, 01:34:11 am »
Dinner at the hotel on Saturday sounds great - good decision Cookie.

I'll make a tentative booking at the Red Spice Road in QV for Friday night at the 6pm session, and those who are interested can let me know and I can update (or cancel) the booking as the time progresses.

Marina, I went to the Essendon DFO a little while ago and was very disappointed, I think they seem to be focusing on the Harbour Town and University Hill (Bundoora) venues these days.  I'm not a big fan of the outlet stores in general these days although I've been known to get some bargains it's very hit and miss. There seem to be so many sales in the shops now that I find I prefer just shopping in the city.

If the weather is good I would also recommend a rooftop bar for a drink - there's  lot of good ones around the city now.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 13, 2015, 01:58:07 am »

Marina, I went to the Essendon DFO a little while ago and was very disappointed, I think they seem to be focusing on the Harbour Town and University Hill (Bundoora) venues these days.  I'm not a big fan of the outlet stores in general these days although I've been known to get some bargains it's very hit and miss. There seem to be so many sales in the shops now that I find I prefer just shopping in the city.

If the weather is good I would also recommend a rooftop bar for a drink - there's  lot of good ones around the city now.

Good to get your feedback on the Essendon outlet - I onl ymentioned it because whenever I drive past there at the weekend there are long queues of cars waiting to get in and I thought maybe I was missing out on something - clearly I am not and I am very happy about that!

A rooftop bar sounds great - do you know if there any that do not have music blasting you off your seat?