Author Topic: Kindle and eraders...any advice?  (Read 13403 times)

stacelee

Re: Kindle and eraders...any advice?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »
My advice would be not to limit yourself to just the traditional e-reader format.  There are multiple devices that will allow you to read electronically from mobile phones to tablet computers.  I have been reading electronically now for about 13 odd years starting with a palm III and now on my iPad and iPhone.  I also own a kindle but must admit that I have not used it more than once or twice since I bought my iPad in May.

I mainly use my iPad for reading electronically because it gives me far more choice.  I can use an application called Goodreader for reading cookbooks, quilting books and magazines as colour pdf's.  I use a combination of a ebook app called Stanza and the Amazon Kindle app for reading.  I store books that I have bought or accessed in my "Dropbox" and can access them anywhere in the world.  I use the iPad for lots of other things including remote accessing my work computers, recipe management, my diary, basically managing my whole life.

Both of my kids are happy to read on their iPods (now they are actually using our old iPhones 3G's)....my husband and I did offer them our kindles but they like being able to switch between games, apps and reading.  My son used to read on his previous phone as well...there are a couple of java reading apps that are available as well as symbian (have  a look on the mobipocket web site).

The single use format does suit a lot of people...my 70 year old stepfather has a kindle that we bought him which he loves and has no problem using.  The kindle is very convenient and has a very good screen and is also very well supported.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are a lot of choices now (unlike 13 years ago) and you may already have a device which will allow you to read electronically.

Take care
Stacey

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:54 am »
Thanks for that info stacelee. I must admit, I was wondering what in the hell and erader was! I now see it's meant to be e-reader.

I've been wondering about e-readers lately, but thinking that I just don't need another electronic device in my home. I've just ordered a MacBook. Will I be able to access the same applications as you do with your iPad?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

*jo*

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:46 am »
As long as it has a dictionary so I can spell ;D ;D ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 03:39:09 am »
As long as it has a dictionary so I can spell ;D ;D ;D

;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

stacelee

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 04:23:26 am »
To be honest, I don't know a lot about the Macbook.....I haven't used a Mac since I left the police service 12 years ago (I was a civilian systems analyst).  I'm sure that there would be some program that would allow you to read.  There is a kindle program for pc's so you can read books from Amazon on microsoft windows computers....I'm sure that there would be an equivalent.  I use a free program called Calibre ( http://calibre-ebook.com/) to manage my rather extensive ebook library on my computer.  It does have a built in reader on the pc version.  There is an OS X version available which probably has the same sort of functionality.  Calibre also gives you the ability to convert documents between the various ebook formats ie lit, epub, pdf, prc, pdb, mobi.  It can be handy if you are using more than one type of reader.....the kindle uses mobi format (from memory it can also do a couple of others)....stanza and ibooks use epub (which seems to be becoming pretty standard).

Take care
Stacey

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 10:41:15 am »
Just bought a Kindle keyboard Wifi on Graysonline for $99 - love it already.

SYLVIA
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 11:58:05 am »
Hi

I haven't read all this thread but just thought I would add that my parents, both in their seventies, love their kindles.  My mum got one for Mothers day and then several weeks later my dad asked could he have one for his birthday.  It is especially useful where we live as there aren't any bookstores.  They manage navigating around and downloading them quite easily, both of them are computer users, but not particularly tech savy.  I myself am hanging out for an ipad, although the consensus is that the kindle is more "readable", as I think I will use the extra apps, rather than just be locked into an ereader.

Hope this helps, as I said, I didn't read the whole discussion, so maybe others have already said this or disputed this!!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 12:40:04 pm »
i bought a kindle in April, not long after, my Mum and Dad bought one each, then in May it was DH birthday! I asked him if he wanted a kindle for his birthday, and he said whatever!!! Anyway i went ahead and got him one with the lighted cover(fantastic by the way) and he loves it! He even takes it to work if he has a free moment.  He tends to download non fiction books, whereas im more novels.
Im even trying to convince my 12 yr old son that it would make a great christmas present for him. Haha
So easy to download books,and easy to read in bright sunlight.  I cant fault it.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »
I gave a Kindle to my grandson a few months ago (keyboard wi-fi) so he could use it in conjunction with his laptop for college.
There are big discounts on college textbooks on the kindle and he can use it for reference while working on the laptop without having to leave his document (and possibly lose some of it).
As he is studying computer theory and some very technical things of which I know nothing, it has made it very handy for him, as well as the fact that he can read it easily outdoors and on the bus to and from school. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 06:33:30 pm »
I got my kindle for Xmas last year and think it's great.  The main reason for the purchase was because of an upcoming trip overseas and needing something to read on the long haul flights.  Hardcover books are so bulky and heavy, whereas with a kindle you can carry heaps of books with you and it doesn't weigh much more than a couple of hundred grams.

There are limitations, of course, but I am more than happy with mine - the main drawback for me is that I find it hard to select books on Amazon - I still love to drop into the bookstores to browse their shelves.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »
I've used the iPad for reading since the first one was released. They are great because you are not limited to Amazon, can borrow from libraries and read colored magazines and pdf's. The downside for my is the relatively short battery life, I do a lot of international travel for work and I am always scrambling to charge the iPad or having to sit awkwardly on the plane so I can have it plugged in. I bought a kindle a few months ago and love it - I can now read outside, it's lighter than the iPad and not lighted so there is an additional cost for either a detachable light or cover. Depending on your main use they are both great but they both have their limitations.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
I don't know if it is available in Australia yet but the kids around here with iPads are all carrying the Cinch Power 5000 mAh External Battery that costs about $50.00
It will charge iPhones, iPods and several smart phones, Droid, Blackberry, etc.  It only weighs  5 ounces (145 grams) and is about 4 inches by 3 inches and less than an inch thick, so it fits easily in a pocket. 
The young man who does my yard says it will power his iPad for a day and a half and it has a fast charge so takes less time to charge itself.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »
I'll have to have a look for it Andie. When i travel these day's I need a bag for all my chargers and power adaptors, it would be great if you could have one that does the lot!