Author Topic: Freeze cottage and ricotta cheese mix?  (Read 3752 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Freeze cottage and ricotta cheese mix?
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:37:46 am »
Hi
I have made a lasagna for dinner tonight but have heaps of the cheese mix left over. It is uncooked and has cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan, nutmeg and a small amount of milk. Can I freeze this? I can't think what else I would make with it.
Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze cottage and ricotta cheese mix?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:58:22 am »
Not sure, sorry.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:01:32 am »
What about a pasta or potato bake for another night soon to use up the cheese sauce?
Otherwise I guess if your not going to use it then would be worth trying to freeze it to see if it works ok.

Sorry I'm not much help :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »
Reading this I would say yes Kerryn.  I have frozen one or the other before (can't remember which one it was, ricotta I think) and as long as it is used in cooking (eg lasagne) it should be fine.

You could try Brazen's chicken & ricotta crepes using your mixture in place of the plain ricotta.

Then there is CC's stuffed pasta shells which could be adapted to use up your mixture. 

I do one similar to this but not the same  ;) by precooking large pasta shells for 3 mins, cool then drain. Fill with ricotta & cottage cheese mixed with cooked and well drained spinach.  Combine some vegie stock with tomato pasta sauce, pour 1/2 into the bottom of a large casserole dish, top with filled pasta, pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with parmesan. Cook mod oven 1 hour. Serves 6 people if you use 30 large pasta shells. I can give you the correct quantities if you want to try this one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:43 pm »
Brilliant Judy. Also could use canalloni tubes. Once cooked you could then  freeze it successfully.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »
KerrynN you can freeze the mixture or you can add some bacon,eggs and some spinch and make a  quiche
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:53 pm »
I've frozen bechamel sauce before so it should be fine or make one of the dishes suggested. The quiche sounds yummy.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:11:07 am »
I have frozen something similar and reheated successfully. On one occasion I found that when reheated it seemed to want to curdle/split so I gave it a quick zap in the TMX and all was fine.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:22:52 am »
Thanks everyone! JD that dish sounds yummy too! I am completely snowed under with study and work and sick kids at the moment so will pop it in the freezer for a calmer time. Am relying heavily on the menu planning to eliminate one extra thing to have to think about each day, and I don't have the extra head space for figuring out anything else I could do with it first.
Thanks again!
Kerryn