Author Topic: Food Magazine Subscriptions  (Read 16353 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Re: Food Magazine Subscriptions
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 10:52:36 am »
I have subscriptions to Delicious, Donna Hay, Feast & Masterchef magazines.
A couple were gifts from my OH.  Sometimes I pickup some of the other food mags available at the Supermarket, but not every month.

Delicious is my favorite.  I like reading Feast magazine, but rarely cook any of the recipes.  I don't really like the Masterchef magazine and won't renew the subscription.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

mcmich

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:13 am »
I wasn't over keen on Master Chef either Katie. I often get big bundles of mags from Vinnies or the Salvos - $2.00 for about 10 mags.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:33:53 am »
Thank you everyone, love reading to see what is out there. I am an addict too. ;D

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Netstar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »
Just wondering, do many of you keep your magazines?  I have about 2 shelves in my bookcase full of my Super Food Ideas magazines but I don't go back to them that often (although I do around Christmas and Easter time to get some inspiration!).  I just can't bear to part with them.   :-\
Jeanette from the Gold Coast

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 12:35:28 pm »
I don't subscribe to any magazines but treated my SIL a subscription to BBC Good Food as a Christmas present.She loves receiving the magazine through the post every month. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:17 pm »
I keep my magazines Netstar apart from those I received whilst subscribing to a diabetic magazine.  When a friend was diagnosed I gave her my books.  I never have time to revisit them though and if I did remember there was a recipe I wanted to do from one of them, I'd never find it  :D :D   Some people go to bed with a novel or a kindle, a lot of us go to bed with our food magazines and our iPads - those who don't cook would think we're crazy but all of us here know better  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Netstar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
Lol Judy, I was faced with that exact dilemma the other night - good book on my kindle vs reading my newly acquired Quick Fix in the Thermomix.  You'll be pleased to know that Quick Fix won!
Jeanette from the Gold Coast

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
Lack of time seems to have cured my addition to food magazines (for the moment anyway). I used to subscribe to Vogue Entertaining and Gourmet Traveller. I can't bear to part with them so they are taking up space in my bookcase. I had to buy a  new bookcase from Ikea to house all my cookbooks as well. Problem is, I'm now at the point of stacking my cookbooks two deep. I keep saying that I won't buy any more cookbooks.... My DH bought me "saved by Cake" a coupe of weeks ago, and I ordered Alyce Alexandra's book for my birthday on Wednesday ( it arrived today, in time for my birthday - yay!) oh and I bought Tenia's book at the cooking class last month too. Also, I have another bookcase with cake decorating books in it as they won't fit in my Ikea bookcase.  Now, who has that phone number for cookbookaholics anonymous ? Actually, make that  just bookaholics anonymous as I haven't mentioned the bookcases full of novels.......
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »
ES, just confirming your birthday is 2nd May?  Have you in my new birthday book  ;D
You've got it bad filling whole book cases.  My DH relinquished his book space in ours so that I could take it over with my cookbooks, his books went to a fete at Mum's retirement village as he just doesn't read anymore.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18:47 pm »
Lol Judy, I was faced with that exact dilemma the other night - good book on my kindle vs reading my newly acquired Quick Fix in the Thermomix.  You'll be pleased to know that Quick Fix won!
  Good for you Netstar.  It is worth reading and picking out some recipes.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:05 pm »
No Judy, I meant I only ordered it on Wednesday (Anzac Day) and it arrived today!
I've squeezed my DH out of most of the bookcases, and I donated a heap of books to the school fete last year.( I also bought more books at the fete too.) Oh well! There are worst addiictions in life
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »
So when is your birthday then ES, I am totally confused.
Alyce is very quick with her deliveries.  I ordered on a Saturday night and received it on the Monday.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »
I do not subscribe to any magazines. I am an avid reader tho and spend all day reading - I just can't stop one way or another its just constant. I find magazine subscriptions way too expensive for 5 mins, and there are so many recipes available for free. Having said that I do succumb quite regularly to Woman's Weekly and maybe another trashy mag or two but am always disappointed that there is not a lot in them.

You'll find recipes in a lot of magazines are here and taste.com.au is another good site.

Apart from the expense, I hate throwing them out (such a waste of trees and paper) and abhor storing them "just in case".

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »
I now subscribe to Super food ideas, DonnaHay and Australia good taste  electronically ie I get the magazines on my iPad and anything that has been read can be downloaded back to my main computer so it doesn't take up space on my iPad. I love the fact that there are little videos in each magazine showiing step by step instructions and most of the mags have what is called 'cook mode' where the recipes are presented step by step when you swipe the screen. Obviously the magazines take up far less space around the house and I am gradually getting rid of all my old magazines ie those older than 3 years after info through them and cut out or scan recipes that are still useful to me. I also find that a lot of recipes  end up on taste.com.au anyway. I'm happy that I can reduce clutter- my  DH is certainly happy  with that!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 12:06:57 am »
All milne are kept in piles of publication & date order on the top of my wine rack. No-one is allowed to dump stuff there, LOL.

My bedroom floor around my bed is normally laden with cookbooks  & cooking magazines. I change them every few days. I enjoying reading in bec.

Nothing like a good cookbook for a plane flight

I tossed up whether to have them on my ipad but I like to have the hard copy.
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......