Author Topic: Norwegian Fish Cakes  (Read 14316 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Norwegian Fish Cakes
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:07:06 am »
Norwegian Fish Cakes
While in Bergen, Norway, recently we dined at the Lido Cafe and ate Fish cakes. They were quite different to those that we make at home which are based on mashed potato and tinned salmon. These were light in texture, and although we had only 1 each on the plate,with salad, they were quite filling . This is my interpretation of these fish cakes.

300g, white fish, pressed between paper towel to remove excess water.
100g. small prawns.(shelled)
1 tin of crab, 170g , well drained
2 egg whites
1 heaped tablespoon of TMX Mayo.
1 teaspoon of dried dill leaves, or 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill leaves.
Chopped fresh parsley and spring onion tops. 1 Tablespoon of each
Salt and pepper.
Japanese Panko crumbs or fresh bread crumbs.
Rice Bran Oil

Place the egg whites in TMX with butterfly and beat, 3 mins/speed 4, or until thick white foam . Set aside in large bowl. No need to wash bowl.
Place the white fish into TMX bowl and press Turbo button 4 times, until a lumpy paste is formed. Tip onto egg whites.
Stir in small prawns and mayo, well drained crab, parsley, onion tops, dill leaves and Salt and pepper.

Place crumbs in large flat dish, and working 1 cake at a time, place large spoonfulls of mix into dish. Cover with crumbs and press lightly, as the cake will be VERY soft.
Lift on to a flat dish or large egg slice and slide into hot oil.
Cook until brown and turn to cook second side
Keep in warm oven.

Serve with salad and potato. I served with Wasabi mayo.

The number will depend upon the size of cakes.

Although these are very soft to handle before cooked, they firm up when cooked.

members' comments

djinni373 - they were absolutely delicious. I don't like crab so just used extra fish and prawns. Served with extra tmx mayo, coleslaw from EDC and fresh salad from the garden (except the tomatoes). YUM. Thanks Chookie. 

Katiej - I served them with home made chips, salad and beetroot. They were quite easy to make and tasted great. Both my Mum and my DH absolutely loved them. My Mum commented on how it would be hard to go back to making the plain potato/tuna type fish cakes now she's tasted these. Another great Chookie recipe my DH said!

MF - Delicious chookie and not too heavy. We had them with rocket and asparagus salad and coleslaw. Will definitely make them again. Taking 2 to my mum tomorrow as I know she will love them. Thanks for the recipe.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:19:26 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Norwegian Fish Cakes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:54:15 am »
These sound lovely Chookie - certainly different to anything I've seen before. Thanks for sharing.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:39:03 am »
Chookie they sound delicious. I still have some cod in the freezer so will give them a try. The crab and prawns would give them a lovely flavour.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:39:00 am »
Yes Cookie,  the crab adds flavour,  but you could replace it with another 100g of fish.  The small prawns add sort of crunch texture.  An interesting mix.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:57 am »
Chookie these sound lovely.  Must pick up some fish ect tomorrow and give them a go.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:00:58 am »
I would love to have a go at making these chookie - when you say to slide them into hot oil, does that mean you deep fry them?  Could they be shallow fried do you think?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:48:24 am »
Yes Karen, shallow fried.  I say slide them in as they are soft and could fall apart if you just tried to plonk them in.

Offline melconyers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:34 am »
 :) Hi I am getting my Termomix tomorrow and I am going to try your Fish Cakes. Looking forward to it!! Thanks for sharing!

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 01:58:59 pm »
Made these fish cakes for dinner tonight. Don't know if this is what they are supposed to look like but they were absolutely delicious. I don't like crab so just used extra fish and prawns. Served with extra tmx mayo, coleslaw from EDC and fresh salad from the garden (except the tomatoes). YUM. Thanks Chookie.  :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »
That looks great djinni373. Not really a big fish eater but this tempts me to have a go.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:30:32 am »
achookwoman, do you have a particular recipe for wasabi mayonnaise??  I have a tube of wasabi paste in the pantry and have done a search on the forum but have come up with nothing....

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:36:30 am »
achookwoman, do you have a particular recipe for wasabi mayonnaise??  I have a tube of wasabi paste in the pantry and have done a search on the forum but have come up with nothing....
NO, I just stir some Wasabi into the TMX mayo.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:51:10 am »
thanks, will give it a go!!

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:01:08 am »
The last couple of times I've had lunch with KarenH she's asked me if I've made these fish cakes as they are so lovely.  I've had them on my to-do list for awhile, so today I finally made them.

My Mum was coming over for lunch today but she didn't want me "to go to any trouble", so I thought these would be perfect.  I served them with home made chips, salad and beetroot.

They were quite easy to make and tasted great.
Both my Mum and my DH absolutely loved them  :D  My Mum commented on how it would be hard to go back to making the plain potato/tuna type fish cakes now she's tasted these.

Another great Chookie recipe my DH said!

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:41 am »
Katie, so glad you all liked them.  These bring back fond memories of Norway for us.