Author Topic: Is it possible to buy a bad bag of flour  (Read 15176 times)

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
Is it possible to buy a bad bag of flour
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:14:03 am »
I have been successfully making No Fuss bread rolls for about two years.  Can just about do it in my sleep now.  Yesterday I made two batches - one turned out great the second batch with new 5kg bag of flour are like rocks with a more cake like texture and taste.
I tried again this morning with the same result.  Any suggestions? Do I just buy another bag and try again? The yeast is fine as the first batch turned out as normal.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to buy a bad bag of flour
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 02:20:00 am »
It could be out of date.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:47 am »
Thanks Obbie - I did not think of that. The flour was on special which is sometimes the case - but just pulled the bag out of the recycle bin and checked the use by -13/1/2014. 
Will probably end up buying a new bag and a new yeast on the way home from work anyway - just to prove it to myself.  Don't really feel like getting up early again tomorrow for another failure.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:36:31 am »
I also forgot to mention that the dough did not rise nearly as much as it usually does and I did think that odd at the time but pushed on regardless.  This mornings batch was the same and I now wish that I had not gone to the trouble of shaping and waiting for the second rise then cooking.

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:48:34 am »
Yes it is possible,
I once bought a bag that wasn't past it's use by date and when I opened it had a very large and healthy Wasp in it. Not the European kind, some kind of native wasp. :P Anyway I took it back to the shop ,IGA, told them the story showed the bag with wasp still inside and received my money back. But it put me off buying that brand for some time.
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:01:01 am »
Oh Lucyluu what a horrible thought.  I have now rescued the bag from the recycle bin and will ring Wallaby when I have a moment and see what they say.  It is almost as if it is the wrong mix in the bag - bread rolls are more like heavy scones.  But I imagine the only way I can check is with a new bag of flour.  Have been using this brand for ever with no problems so happy to persevere if I can get it right again.  I don't take kindly to cooking disasters at the best of times but two days in a row has me wondering if it is me???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:50:17 am »
Do let them know though Deniser, it may be a bigger problem for them than just your bag so they need to know and should replace it for you.  They appreciate being told these things from my experience.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:50:57 am »
Deniser,  what brand was it ?  I have never had a problem with Laucke mix, but my sister had a bad lot.  Took it back to the factory and after a lot of fuss they tested the Gluten content and it was way below what it should have been.   I would make up a no fuss mix and  dissolve 2 vitamin C tablets in the water or add 2 teaspoons of improver.   You may have a bag of cake flour.  Let us know how you go.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:22 am »
Chookie my DH has decided that we should use the Laucke bread mix like you do. I won't need to add anything except yeast will I?

I would hate to get a bad batch of bread flour. I must remember that it is possible to do so.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:33:51 am »
Chookie my DH has decided that we should use the Laucke bread mix like you do. I won't need to add anything except yeast will I?

I would hate to get a bad batch of bread flour. I must remember that it is possible to do so.

Cookie,  correct.  Just add yeast,(included in bag) and water.  I buy a 10K bag for about $20,  sometimes on special for $18. Sounds a lot but I seem to go through it.  Some cooks also use the bread flour in their biscuits.  I do sometimes. 

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:23:19 am »
I have had weavils >:(
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:14 am »
Thank you all.  I have bought a new bag of flour and a new yeast on the way home.  Too tired to make it now and appointments in the morning.  Will make a new batch in the afternoon and let you know how I get on.  It is Lauke bread flour (not bread mix) so I add  Lowan Yeast, bread improver, salt and sugar.  Never had a problem until now which makes me think perhaps it is the wrong mix in the bag too Judy.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 11:36:17 am »
Densier,  this is VERY interesting.  I bought a bag of Lauke organic flour from the local baker.  Not a mix like I usually use.  I didn't like it at all and couldn't believe that it could be so different.  I added those  extras same as you ,  but it didn't rise much. 

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »
Well that is very interesting achookwoman.  I just checked the new bag - which unfortunately does have all the same batch numbers and use by dates as the previous one.  Back to the shop tomorrow with this I am afraid - hopefully they will take it back although I don't know what excuse I give them.  Thought it might say organic somewhere but no it doesn't. 
I have been using the same flour for the past two years with the same additives and alway had beautiful rolls.  Wonder if they have changed something???
I have sent an email to Lauke but don't expect I will hear back from them in a hurry - especially as it is now Friday night. 
Stay tuned for the next installment.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »
Thanks Chookie. I am going through my 5kg very quickly so DH decided we needed a bigger bag to start with. It won't take me long to use it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/