Author Topic: Rocky Road Brownies and Variations  (Read 9853 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Rocky Road Brownies and Variations
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:00 am »
Rocky Road Brownies

Brownie Ingredients:
200g butter
50g cocoa
250-350g brown sugar, depending on taste
170g plain flour
2 eggs
50g red glace cherries, halved
50g slivered almonds
1 Fry's Turkish Delight chocolate bar, chopped into small chunks
100g marshmallows, chopped

Icing Ingredients:
200g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
3 tbsp evaporated milk

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Grease and line a 28cm x 18cm slice pan or similar.
2. Melt butter in TM for 3 minutes/60 degrees/speed 1. Add cocoa and mix for 10 seconds/speed 3. Scrape down bowl with spatula and mix for another 10 seconds/speed 3.
3. Add brown sugar and mix for 20 seconds/speed 4.
4. Add flour and mix for 30 seconds/speed 3. Scrape down bowl with spatula.
5. Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds/speed 4.
6. Add cherries, almonds and Turkish delight. Mix for 1 minute/reverse + speed 2.
7. Spread mixture into prepared pan. When you have scraped out as much as you can, put lid on TM and hold turbo button for 10 seconds. This will fling mixture from around the blades to the inside of the bowl. (You may be surprised how much gets stuck there.)
8. Bake brownies for 25-30 minutes. Wash TM.
9. When brownies are completely cold, combine icing ingredients in TM on speed 3 until smooth. Spread icing over brownies and sprinkle with chopped marshmallows. Cut into squares and serve.

Notes
The brownie mixture is quite thick, so you may need to use the spatula to incorporate the cherries, almonds and Turkish delight.

I use almonds because I have a friend who can't eat any other type of nut. You could use peanuts or macadamias if you want to.

This brownie is quite sweet and rich; best eaten in small quantities!

Photo 1: Rocky Road Brownies
Photo 2: Fudgy Walnut Brownies (simply omit choc chips from Basic Choc Nut Brownies and add more walnuts).
Photo 3: Triple Choc Fudge Brownies (use milk, dark and white choc chips and omit walnuts from Basic Choc Nut Brownies).

Variations

The first five ingredients of this recipe are my base for almost all brownies I make. Using these, and basically the same method, here are some of my other favourite flavours (omit cherries, almonds and Turkish delight for all these variations):

Basic Choc Nut
Add 1 tsp vanilla extract with eggs. Add 1/2 cup mixed choc chips and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. When cold, dust with icing sugar or spread with icing.

Peppermint 1
Add 1/2 tsp peppermint essence with eggs. Add one (or two!) crushed peppermint chocolate bars (such as Peppermint Crisp or Aero). Add 1/4 tsp peppermint essence to icing and spread over brownies when cold. Decorate with another crushed peppermint chocolate bar.

Peppermint 2
Add 1/2 tsp peppermint essence with eggs. Take a 250g block of Cadbury's peppermint filled chocolate and break into individual squares. When you have the brownie mixture spread in pan, press two thirds of the squares of peppermint filled chocolate into the brownie mixture. Make sure the mixture covers the squares of chocolate, or the filling will burst out and burn!!! Add 1/4 tsp peppermint essence to icing and spread over brownies when cold. Crush the remaining squares of chocolate and spread them across the brownie (this can be a bit messy).

Choc Honeycomb
Add two crushed chocolate honeycomb bars (such as Violet Crumble or Crunchie). When cold, spread with icing and another crushed chocolate honeycomb bar.

Caramel
Break a 250g block of Cadbury's caramel filled chocolate into individual sqaures. When you have the brownie mixture spread in pan, press two thirds of the squares of caramel filled chocolate into the brownie mixture. Make sure the mixture covers the squares of chocolate, or the filling will burst out and burn!!! When brownies are cold, spread with icing. Crush the remaining squares of chocolate and spread them across the brownie (this can be a bit messy).

Turkish Delight
Same as for Caramel, but use a block of Turkish Delight chocolate.

members' comments

dede - My DD made these and they smelt really good when they come out of the oven. Yum yum they are delicious, although next time I would cut down the brown sugar a little as they are really sweet but a great recipe thanks Amy.
Just made another batch of these brownies but with violet crumble bars instead and I have cut down the brown sugar by half.

deedub - I made the triple choc version of these for father's day - triple yum! I can see I will have to try the other variations now, great recipe Amy!

VieveMS - I  did a choc chip variation (using only dark and milk choc chips cause that is all I had).  Unfortunately I think I may have overcooked them as I got distracted when they were in the oven.  I have had one (OK, two) straight out of the oven and they are delicious but more of a cake consistency and not very fudgy.  Regardless, they will be eaten and are much better than my last lot of brownies which were completely undercooked.  Occasionally I get it right. Thanks for the recipe Amy.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:32:22 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rocky Road Brownies and Variations
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:54:47 am »
I had to stop myself from licking the monitorAmy, they all sound delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:51 am »
OMG Amy these sound so so good. I'm going to copy this recipe (and the variations). Better not make them to often while I'm on crutches or I will put on weight while I'm not so active. Thanks for sharing.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »
 this sounds so delicious   l cant wait to try it
thank you  :)

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 04:53:23 am »
Yum, i just found a new recipe to try.
Thanks.

;D
Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:15:59 am »
My DD made these today and they smelt really good when they come out of the oven. I couldn't fit them all in the container I had so unfortunately we had to cut 2 of them up and eat them ;D.
Yum yum they are delicious, although next time I would cut down the brown sugar a little as they are really sweet, but a great recipe thanks Amy.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:36 am »
Thanks for the feedback dede. I might make a note about the sweetness in the recipe. The people I usually make them for have very sweet tastes, which is why I use that much sugar. Glad you still liked them though :-)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:33 am »
They are disappearing very quickly Amy so they must be good :) .
Next time I think I will try 200 grams brown sugar and see how that goes.
I have a sweet tooth as well. Definitely will make these again and might try some variations next time.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:03:02 am »
Just made another batch of these brownies but with violet crumble bars instead. And I have cut down the brown sugar by half. Let's see if these disappear as quickly as the last batch.
Thanks again Amy for the recipe. :)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:07:24 am »
I made the basic brownies today because I didn't have ingredients for any of the other variations. Thought I would post my before and after photos. I will probably post another photo when they are iced and decorated.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:17:37 am »
I made the triple choc version of these for father's day - triple yum! I can see I will have to try the other variations now, great recipe Amy!
Melbourne, inner north

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 04:46:22 am »
Thanks deedub, I'm glad you enjoyed them! :D I make these brownies a lot. They always go down well, and I have even been paid to make them ;)

I highly recommend the Turkish Delight variation. If you like Turkish Delight, of course ;D

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:39:39 am »
These sound wonderful deedub.  I am printing the recipe out as I type and will try them when the grand children come for the holidays.  They are all chocaholics like their nan. ;D
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
I made these brownies tonight - did a choc chip variation (using only dark and milk choc chips cause that is all I had).  Unfortunately I think I may have overcooked them as I got distracted when they were in the oven.  I have had one (OK, two) straight out of the oven and they are delicious but more of a cake consistency and not very fudgy.  Regardless, they will be eaten and are much better than my last lot of brownies which were completely undercooked.  Occasionally I get it right  :)

Thanks for the recipe Amy.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »
Thats a shame Vieve :( These brownies are really delicious slightly undercooked, straight from the oven with icecream ;D I make them a lot ;)

I hope you can try again sometimes and get the right consistency of fudginess ;D