Author Topic: What are you getting rid of in your pantry?  (Read 23910 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you getting rid of in your pantry?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:48 am »
Sorry dede, never heard of it.  Do you make it in advance and store it - how sticky is it?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:25 am »
I am always confused when a recipe calls for brown sugar.  I don't know if they mean light brown sugar or dark brown sugar.  I use a lot of raw sugar in place of white sugar.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:54 am »
I think they usually specify if they want the dark brown one Chookie.  I always bought the lighter one but now have a packet of the dark which a recipe called for so I am using that whenever I need brown sugar just to get rid of it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:38:06 am »
Thanks Judy.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:41:26 am »
It is a little stick Judydawn but manageable. I use it all the time for cooking.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:43:38 am »
oh and yes I do store it in an air tight container. seems to last quiet well, I do alot of cooking with a big family so it has never been kept for a long time. You could make it and halve the recipe
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »
thanks dede..good to know...i usually have trouble finding true brown sugar ie dark brown not the raw sugar but over here they have for the past six months or so replaced brown sugar that they call vergoise with the same thing but white ie without the melasses or whatever it is..i have certain recipes that call for it so like to have a small amount on hand and now thankyou dede as I can easily make it as I need it.  Lately though I have been trying rapadura..I tend to change now and then...sometimes white, sometimes like JD i buy icing sugar...as for stock I also have a packet of stock cubes now and then but mainly use different thx stocks ..I rarely stock sauces and make my own so they are out..I do however stock tomato paste...i know htere were several links but dont know if anyone ever succeeded to get it concentrated enough??  same as others most condiments gone and stocking more raw ingredients..nuts, rice, sugar (usually raw), flour (i buy it direct from hte flour mill in either 25 or 40kg bags and share it with a neighbour but store it in food containers.  Some drinks, cordials etc now no longer buying or stocking.. not finding I have more space though as I am replacing ready to go elements with homemade ones or raw products.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:19:39 pm by Frozzie »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »
Slowly but surely we are replacing the old with the new and improved. Things like mustard, tomato sauce, peanut paste, stock, different types of sugars, cereals, cordials, slow cooker sauce packets, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes (mostly unless fresh are really expensive), grated parmesan, rice flour, LSA, ground nut meals. We keep a stock of nuts, spices and herbs.  Every time we run out of a bottle or jar of something I find a recipe to adapt or learn to live without it. I wish I could find a substitute for anchovies and capers. I love these for pasta and salads.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »
Slowly but surely we are replacing the old with the new and improved. Things like mustard, tomato sauce, peanut paste, stock, different types of sugars, cereals, cordials, slow cooker sauce packets, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes (mostly unless fresh are really expensive), grated parmesan, rice flour, LSA, ground nut meals. We keep a stock of nuts, spices and herbs.  Every time we run out of a bottle or jar of something I find a recipe to adapt or learn to live without it. I wish I could find a substitute for anchovies and capers. I love these for pasta and salads.

Substitute for capers:
If you can grow Nasturtiums in your area - they grow pretty much anywhere - you can make a dandy substitute for capers.
Pickled nasturtium buds  have been used as a sub for capers for almost 300 years! 
They grow all over my yard, self-seeding in many places and I usually have a couple of pots that i bring inside for winter.
I've a friend who lives on her boat in a marina and has pots filled with these flowers and uses almost the entire plant in her cooking.  The flowers add a wonderful peppery flavor to salads.   

Here's another recipe.

and still another

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:28 pm »
ok have to ask why would you want to substitute capers etc?? whats wrong with them?

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 08:46:49 pm »
we have got rid of anything that we can make!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:18:16 pm by mindmapper1 »
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »
ok have to ask why would you want to substitute capers etc?? whats wrong with them?

Sue said she wished she could find a sub for anchovies and capers -  sorry, no sub for anchovies - I use the paste in the tube that lasts practically forever - but I did have the caper sub info.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:31 pm »
guess im just wondering why she wants to substitute?? So Sue whats the reason for wanting to substitute??  They are after all a whole element, salted and put in brine?? unless im missing something??

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:33 am »
Did I read somewhere the Laucke bread mix has yeast in it already??  Then I could get rid of yeast too?  I currently use Defiance Bakers Flour and Lowan yeast...  ???

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:23 pm »
Anchovies and caper  - I just don't have them all them time and I don't buy in bulk as I need to store it in the fridge up here. Just asking around. You never know what suggestions people come up with. I didn't know about the Nasturtium and I like the idea of growing a substitute myself. Thanks for the links Andiesenji.
Sue from North Queensland