Author Topic: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with a super-easy Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Sauce  (Read 11765 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Name of Recipe: Potato & Sweet Potato Gnocchi

Number of People: 4-6

Ingredients:

350g Sweet potato, peeled and cubed
650g desiree potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 egg
2+ cups flour
salt & pepper

Preparation:
steam the potatoes & sweet potatoes. i did mine in the microwave but of course you could do it in the varoma if you wanted and didn't have your mind on when the noise was going to stop...
(you would probably use about 500g water, 12-15 mins (??) varoma temp, speed 2
they need to be really soft but not falling apart.

drain them well and let them cool as much as you can (last time i kept them in the fridge overnight and this worked well).

put about 500g in the tmx and chop til they're fine - but be careful! you don't want to make glue out of them! (have done that before with a food processor, NOT pretty!) i did speed 6 for about 30-40 seconds i think.
remove to another bowl and repeat. add the first batch back in and add the other ingredients.

mix on speed 6 until well mixed, again keep an eye out for gluey tendencies! i was very distracted by the 5yo at this stage and mine was done for 2 minutes and was OK thank goodness, so glue must be less likely at this stage ;p

put a large pot of water on to boil.

remove from tmx and place on a floured surface. knead until smooth, adding extra flour until the dough is no longer sticky. my dough was very sticky at this stage (i think the sweet potatoes have more water than regular potatoes) so i had to add a LOT of extra flour, but it was fine in the end.

cut the dough into 4-6 pieces and then take one. roll out on the floured surface until you have a sausage that is about 2cm thick. cut into 1cm pieces with a knife (i used a bread knife so i didn't cut my silicone mat). i actually just cook them like that because we don't care what they look like!

but if you want them to look pretty like "real" gnocchi just roll them a little into a ball then press into shape with a fork.

to cook them you need boiling water - just drop one sausage worth of gnocchi in at a time (i found it took the exact time to make the next sausage-worth as it did to cook each batch of gnocchi). they are cooked when they float on the surface - use a large flat slotted spoon to remove & drain them. you can serve them straight into a bowl.

top with sauce and cheese as desired.

of course you can swap the sweet potato for pumpkin, or use more potato and a little black olives etc etc - the options are endless!

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
converted from this recipe http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2446/potato+gnocchi

Name of Recipe: Very Quick and Easy Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Sauce for Gnocchi
Number of People: 4-6
Ingredients:
4-5 sundried tomatoes
one jar pasta sauce
a little cream

Preparation:
chop sundried tomatoes for 3-5 seconds on speed 4

add in pasta sauce (we use aldi organic usually but this time i used the aldi olive one) and a little cream if you have some that needs to be used up, or leave out if you don't want it.

cook for 8 minutes on 80'c speed 2

pour over gnocchi, top with parmesan if desired.

Photos:

members' comments

Tasty - I tried this recipe the other day and ended up making the recipe over a few days as my little one needed me. The results were pretty good with light and fluffy gnocchi and a tasty sauce. These are the things I did differently:
Steaming potatoes and sweet potatoes in TMX
I didn't do the boiling stage after chopping up potatoes, it wasn't necessary I felt
It is a time consuming process.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:22:14 am by judydawn »
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
Re: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with a super-easy Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:26 am »
wow i never realised how easy gnocchi was to make.... and the sauce seems like it would be yummy.

i think i will make this on the weekend..

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:56:11 am »
they do take a little time but are very easy!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:43 pm »
It is very time consuming - you need to find a nonna (grannie) to sit and roll them all morning.  If you don't mind the mess then kids would probably suffice - but gentle touch is preferable.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline huilink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:20:09 am »
Sounds delicious! I am dying to try it. I wonder if it would work if we use the  :: function on the TM? Just trying to be lazy...

Also, my 2 year old is allergic to eggs. Is there any substitute for eggs for this recipe?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:31:49 am »
i don't really know anything about substituting eggs sorry, but hopefully someone else might :)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:34:10 pm »
Huilink, you should be able to make without eggs - that's the traditional way of making gnocchi (without eggs).

I would reduce the flour accordingly and you probably don't need to knead to much - Italian Bimby recipes have the mix just being blended for 40 seconds or so at speed 7 to incorporate the flour and salt into the mix.  It's not like bread whre you need to develop the gluten - better to be quick and light mix.

Now having opened my big mouth I'll have to try it !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline huilink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:58 pm »
Thanks! Will try it soon!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »
I tried this recipe the other day and ended up making the recipe over a few days as my little one needed me.

The results were pretty good with light and fluffy gnocchi and a tasty sauce.

These are the things I did differently:

Steaming potatoes and sweet potatoes in TMX

I didn't do the boiling stage after chopping up potatoes, it wasn't necessary I felt

It is a time consuming process and here are the results:

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:45:11 am »
Looks great.
another recipe to try.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Bonsai

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »
I always make at least twice as much gnocchi as I need as once I'm making a mess I might as well keep on😊. It freezes well so makes a quick meal for another night. I freeze them uncooked loose on a tray then bag when frozen.