Author Topic: Dense Rock-hard Hot Cross Buns  (Read 2810 times)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
Dense Rock-hard Hot Cross Buns
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:17:05 pm »
It’s been a very long time since I posted on here and have not used TM5 much either.

Anyway, I was craving hot cross buns and made a batch using Chookie’s recipe, which I have made successfully in the past. However, the bottom on the latest batch were black and the buns dense and rock hard. What did I do wrong? Cooked for 20 minutes. I did increase the spices as I like my buns quite spiced. Could this have affected the yeast?

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated. I want to make another batch but want them to be light and fluffy just like the Coles ones.

Thanks in advance.
From Perth WA

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Dense Rock-hard Hot Cross Buns
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:01 pm »
It’s been a very long time since I posted on here and have not used TM5 much either.

Anyway, I was craving hot cross buns and made a batch using Chookie’s recipe, which I have made successfully in the past. However, the bottom on the latest batch were black and the buns dense and rock hard. What did I do wrong? Cooked for 20 minutes. I did increase the spices as I like my buns quite spiced. Could this have affected the yeast?

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated. I want to make another batch but want them to be light and fluffy just like the Coles ones.

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you added the yeast?
The extra spice can delay the rise but not to this extent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:48 am »
How disappointing Mep. I was wondering re the yeast too. I made Chookie’s recipe the other day and it does have quite a lot of yeast in, but fortunately for me they worked beautifully.  Good luck with the next batch.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:23 am »
MEP I can think of a couple of possibilities, assuming you added the yeast (I managed to forget the yeast once  :-))). Either the yeast is no longer active, or somehow the mix overheated and the yeast got too hot.
Check your yeast to see if it foams or bubbles in teacup with a bit of lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar. If it hasn't foamed after a few minutes it's probably no good.
Also I noticed that the bun dough got quite warm in the tmx bowl when it was so hot over the weekend. Did you leave it in the bowl to rise? I played it safe and took mine out of the tmx to rise in a different bowl. I read somewhere that anything over 40°C may damage or kill the yeast.
I made two batches of hot cross buns over the weekend, both using Chookie's recipe. One lot I altered quite a bit using very sweet dried apricots, some spelt flour and extra ground ginger and they have all been gobbled up except 2 when I last looked.
Good luck with your next batch MEP.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:57:14 am by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:53:10 pm »
Good advice Djinni. Thanks.  They sound nice with the dried apricots.