Author Topic: Egg Replacement for Vegans or those with Egg Intolerance  (Read 12107 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Egg Replacement for Vegans or those with Egg Intolerance
« on: July 10, 2015, 07:10:58 am »
I have recently read a couple of interesting articles about aquafaba – which is ‘new speak’ for the bean water which is normally poured down the sink when you drain and rinse a can of beans – generally chick peas or other white bean.

It seems that the high protein content of this fluid makes it whippable, just like egg white, which means all the things which traditionally depend on whisked-up whites: meringues, macarons, mousses, etc. can now be adapted to those who cannot or do not eat eggs.

A short article and some interesting looking recipes are here - I haven't had a chance to experiment with any of these yet, though.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Egg Replacement for Vegans or those with Egg Intolerance
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:16:37 am »
Marina, I looked at the recipe for the meringues. Looks ok but I would not make it in the TMX to test the recipe as I don't think it gets enough air into the meringue mixture.
The only thing that concerns me is the amount of salt in tinned Chick peas.
I will give it a go when I have time.
Thanks for posting the link.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:40:18 am »
It's an interesting thought. I probably won't be trying it though but it could be useful for those that need to replace eggs.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:24:05 pm »
I wondered about the salt content as well and nothing I read addressed this aspect.  The subject just struck me as interesting and possibly a viable alternative for people who were vegan or couldn't / wouldn't eat eggs.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:49 pm »
I am going to try it. Today with the very bad weather conditions might be good. I won't tell the chooks as they think they are doing a very good job keeping us in eggs.

Offline Anni Turnbull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:16:00 am »
I have successfully been using aquafaba as a vegan egg replacement in meringue, sorbet, fruity dream and in savoury dishes like a tofu based omelet. Its also been used by others to make sponge cakes and other baked goods where it adds lightness and air.
In sweet dishes i use unsalted chickpeas and regular in savoury dishes - but to be honest the salt content doesn't affect the taste of the finished product unless you eat a salt free diet when you may notice it
Using the butterfly in my thermomix whips it up beautifully in just a couple of minutes
I have been experimenting with making a AF- based sour creme too :)

For consultants conducting vegan demonstrations, aquafaba works in the custard as an egg replacer too :)
Anni
Vegan Thermomix Consultant
Melbourne Victoria Australia
annprecise@optusnet.com.au

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:39:19 am »
Thanks for that information Anni.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 02:20:59 pm »
Thanks Anni, will be trying this, just didn't have time this week end. Having had a GC who couldn't eat eggs I think any thing that adds to the egg free variety is good.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:26:45 pm »
Thanks, Anni, that is really interesting.  Added a few more ideas to follow up!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:39:17 am »
There is this egg replacement too.
To make the equivalent of one egg, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside for 10 minutes or until thick. Use to bind savoury dishes such as meatballs or in baking. (This mix is best in recipes that call for only one or two eggs)

I copied this from Taste.com.au

Offline HappyVegan

• View Profile
    • Vegan Happy Place
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:55:41 pm »
Aquafaba is great, and it is my understanding (although I can't remember when or where I got this from) than there isn't much more sodium in it than an actual egg (and it's the sodium in salt most people need to watch for). It doesn't tend to taste salty - but that will obviously depend on your chickpeas or other beans and what they were soaked in. However, it's not the best for using as a binder, because it does deflate and go 'sticky' in the wrong way over time.

Other options include 1 Tbls of ground flaxseed or 1 Tbls of course chia seeds per egg - a good option for baked goods. I'm looking forward to milling my own as needed now I have my TMX!

Cornstarch - 1 Tbls + 3 Tbls water, whisked with a fork or mini whisk will replace an egg used as a binder in most things (including custards and most sauces). If you're gluten free as well (or cooking for those who are) make sure you get maize based gluten free cornflour and not wheat based 'cornflour'. You can also buy commercial egg replacer powder (called Ogran No-egg in the health section of the supermarket) which works in a similar way but you need a lot less of it - 1 tsp powder to 2 Tbls water.

There are lots of other ideas, like half a banana in sweet recipes or even mushed avocado can work well depending on the dish. But these are more variable (as even are flax of chia 'eggs'). The best option is cornstarch or commercial No-egg especially if you're not vegan yourself or are new to vegan baking.

In a very few baked items and some cooked items you may need to increase other fats/oils to balance the texture but things won't fail without this but could fail with too much fat. It's just worth keeping in mind if you've converted something and still feel like it's missing 'something' in the finished product.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 10:49:04 am »
Thanks. Does all this come naturally after you have been Vegan for a while?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 10:28:42 pm »
Not so sure about the comment on salt. Different brands have different amounts of added salt. But I love the Mayo made with Aquafaba.