Author Topic: TM5  (Read 273738 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: TM5
« Reply #585 on: November 08, 2014, 06:42:43 am »
I agree Stacelee. Apart from a nice new shiny machine it is a pain in the ass to have to wait and wait after whizzing my mango on 10 for a few seconds to have to wait more time than I whizz to open the damn thing. Really annoying.

I don't quite agree with the chefs. But I do despair of those new users that follow,the chip exactly then complain the food is bland and not like they normally make. Lordy give me strength. Cause  and effect. They seem to make no connection and have no idea how to rectify. I am not going to read anymore on FB it is too depressing. Have these girls no common sense at all. Trying to make a risotto never having eaten one professionally cooked is  a recipe for disaster. They have no idea how it should look or taste and then they reheat it in the microwave and declare it perfect. Ugh!

"How long does it take to boil and egg in the TMX ,what speed, temp and how much water?? I ask them how long does it take on the stove using how much water and what speed is the water boiling at. Basically if they listen to themselves they would know the answer but they need for someone to reassure them. 

Then they go and read a really ridiculous recipe in the recipe community and wonder why it does not work.

You just cannot help stupid.

I am getting back in the pool with a glass of and read my Kindle.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #586 on: November 08, 2014, 06:50:56 am »
Amen! Yes, I feel sorry for many of those on fb Gert. If only they had visited here first!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #587 on: November 08, 2014, 07:24:48 am »
OMG, Gert .  Don't drop the Kindle in the pool.
Seriously,  I agree with what is being said,  however for some , good home made food is not a number 1 priority.  Push the buttons,  follow the instructions and eat gunk . It is still better than take away.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 08, 2014, 09:32:34 am »
Today I used my TM5 a few times and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it.  I've always thought my TM31 was awesome and I feel the same way about the new one.  I've found the TM5 to be quieter than my 31, it certainly doesn't move around like the 31, and I think pushing the buttons is pretty cool.  I haven't found the logging or unlocking of the lid annoying at all.

I did a recipe following the chip the other night and it was easy to follow.  Although I didn't follow it blindly, I added a couple of extra things, adjusted the chopping times, and tasted along the way to see if it needed more seasoning etc.  I guess that's the difference in knowing how to cook or just starting out and expecting the recipes on the chip will turn out perfectly. 

Chookie I agree - anything home made is better than take away.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 08, 2014, 09:42:22 am »
Pleased you are enjoying your new machine Katie.  I like the recipe chip and like you amend to our taste.  I think it will help new users get used to this way of cooking quicker.  It does take a while for it to be intuitive.
Denise

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 08, 2014, 11:06:17 am »
I love my TM31, love my T5, love the chip (I am hopeless at remembering what I have just read from a recipe so having it on the screen is good for me ie. I can never remember even how to make custard but I do remember that I like about 12g of cornflour to make the consistency I prefer), love the EDC and the Basic Cookbook as they are good reference books to start with. I think that with the release of the 5 that there are now so many Facebook sites that have sprung up and I am going to stop notifications on FB from coming through on some of them because I'm not learning anything and the same old topics keep coming up and I find that generally a lot of new mums try and compete with each other to be supermums which I have always found to be sickening. As Gretch said who really wants to know how to hide more veggies? BTW I don't see the point in those pouches and they would be a pain to clean all the time, and I can't work out why a sipper cup is not good enough or a straw. Having said that I don't learn anything from FB I did learn a really good way to cut a scroll and made a Vegemite & Cheese bread the other night using the Pizza Dough recipe from the Basic Cookbook. I don't mind that my T5 had to have a bit of a service as I knew full well when I bought it that something like this was probably going to happen but now I feel like everything has been ironed out. The chip recipe mistakes though - unforgiveable! Even on the recipe community website where they advise about the errors they have quoted the wrong page for Poached Eggs...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 08, 2014, 11:42:43 am »
I love the 31 and the 5. I find I am using them both every day, often multiple times. I adore being able to knead dough and make lots of things that need stirring all the time.
I do find that some people expect owning a thermomix will turn them into a brilliant cook in no time, and most annoying of all is that people won't think for themselves. There is nothing like learning basic skills at Mothers or Grandmothers knee. DD informs me that if you can read and taste you can cook.  :D :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 08, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »
CP please share your scroll cutting with us. I have not had a problem but no doubt could try a different way if needed. I would like to make some mini ones.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 08, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »
One thing I really like  bout the TM5 is that I no longer have to have an LED night light on it to protect it from critters.  I also like poaching eggs in it as it never fails.

Gert.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 08, 2014, 02:40:16 pm »
Enjoyed reading your down-to-earth comments, Gert 😄

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 08, 2014, 11:13:41 pm »
I called into Katie's the other day to see her new TM5.  It looks a lot better than I expected or is that because I've seen so many pictures of one now that I'm getting used to it  ;)  She gave me a quick run down on how it works, I like the new "I'm finished" music, the chip was a lot smaller than I pictured and I like the fact you can keep it on the fridge door (unless you have stainless steel) where it won't get lost.  I didn't see a problem with the arm (apart from if there's a power failure and you can't open it), it worked pretty efficiently as far as I could see.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:26:49 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 08, 2014, 11:24:58 pm »
another one here that doesn't hide veges from kids..

great comments Gert.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Essie

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:13 am »
Love that you don't hide veggies, love that you still get out the pan to make scrambled egg. Have read a few recipes for "roasting" chicken in the varoma...and can't understand why you would do that?? (I am open to your thoughts if you think it produces a better result, but to me I will have the oven on to cook the veggies any way and I love the taste of roast or a webber in summertime)

How I explain the TM5 at work, is if you are not a confident cook then the chip is great and it will work you through the steps. On behalf of my consultant I am "selling it" to a few single blokes who like to eat. But then if you do like to cook then I explain it is a great set of extra hands in the kitchen.

As for the FB sites, I have joined up to a few with great enthusiasm, however the repetitive nature  of the delivery date discussion, pantry before and after shots and the talk of building a herb garden has got a bit monotonous. To put it into context though, I do work full time, have no littlies, don't need to stock the pantry up with new ingredients as I have always cooked from scratch (or I go out), and I have always grown fresh herbs even when I was renting. Apparently there is a list of pantry items you "have to" buy before your TM arrives, which did make me giggle.

I think though, I am just shy of 50, that for my generation Home Economics at school as looked down upon...and a lot of skills about how to cook from scratch, reinvent left overs to make a new meal have all gone out the door.( For instance, my mum always had a bowl of stock in the fridge made from a chicken carcas etc, however I notice it is now back in vogue, called bone broth and is lauded as some kind of superfood) So this means that some young parents have only ever known processed food and flavours. I guess they are looking for familiar containers and tastes.

Anyway, time to get off my soap box and go clean my study..wish I had done that before the TM arrived!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 09, 2014, 03:45:30 am »
Lunch today using  yesterday's chicken, very rustic pie with the short crust made in the TM5, the puff frozen. Vegetables first  steamed in the Varoma while the sweet potato was cooking and then covered with 3 cheese sauce made in TM5.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 09, 2014, 03:56:18 am »
Essie you sound like my kind a woman. You better book in for the weekend in Melbourne  next October. You will fit right in and we would love to meet ha.

Gert