Author Topic: Ross' gravy  (Read 14086 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Ross' gravy
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:48:25 am »
My DH made this to go with our KFC chicken and mashed potato. It was delicious and actually tasted a lot like the Colonel's own. Yummy!!

5 - 20g KFC flour mix* (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4364.0 you want the flour mix not the spice mix)
20g plain flour
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp stock concentrate
400ml of water
1 tbsp gravox

Put all ingredients into the TMX bowl. Mix for 10 seconds on speed 6. Cook 7 minutes, 90 degrees, speed 4.

* You can use more or less of this depending on a) how concentrated your flour mix is; and b) how peppery you want your gravy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:57:53 pm by KerrynN »
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ross' gravy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »
Well done to DH KerrynN.  Will try this next time I do the KFC meal.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:36:29 am »
I have never been able to make gravy, so we have to resort to the bought gravy mix. This sounds just as easy - big thank you  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 06:42:39 am »
This sounds great - but one question - when you say 20g of KFC flour mix, do you mean just the flour and spice mix, or do you use it with the buttermilk added?

I am hoping to make it to go with a lamb roast for MIL for mothers day dinner tonight!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:35 am »
I've been meaning to report back on this. I found 20g just about blew everyones socks off as it was so hot. I've made a note to onlly use about 5g for starters next time just to add some spiciness, and prob a max of 10g.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 07:03:15 am »
CP did you use the KFC spice mix with just the spices, or the flour mix with the spice diluted with flour?  And did you use the flour mix with the buttermilk added?  I am confused about this recipe now ........ but THANKS for the advice about the mix being too hot.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:22 am »
Made this tonight - twice!  In the first lot I used just one teaspoon of the KFC spice mix, and it was waaaaay too peppery.

In the second lot I poured in the juices from the lamb roast (cooked in the weber) and did the rest of the recipe as written, just leaving out the KFC mix, and it was really really lovely. 

Can recommend this recipe - maybe just adding the spice mix if you want it really spicy  ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:48:58 am »
now that you have mentioned it --- I think I used the pure KFC spice mix  :-)) -- OMG no wonder it was H.O.T.  :o :o :o

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:56 pm »
Hi all,
We made this again tonight but only used half the recipe and was the perfect amount. We decided that it will definitely be Christmas gravy this year (I always seem to stuff up the gravy....)

I think when we originally made it we had diluted the KFC flour a bit for the kids (to reduce the strength of the pepper) - I will amend the recipe to indicate a range here for that reason.

Also, the KFC flour we use is usually the left over from coating the chicken (unless we're not having the KFC chicken of course) so it does have the buttermilk mixed through, but it isn't mandatory for the recipe to work.

Cheers,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:04:43 am »
Made this last night to have with KFC and mash. Absolutely delicious. I made the full quantity so tonight we will use the leftovers with some nice steak. Yummy
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
Made this to serve with roast chicken dinner. Very nice and a great consistency. Thank you, I am so glad I found this recipe.