Author Topic: Trying My Varoma Tonight  (Read 5554 times)

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
Trying My Varoma Tonight
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:48:01 pm »
I'm currently cooking my very first meal in the Varoma.  I've been too scared before now.  I haven't even seen it at a demo so I'm very nervous.  I've made the Swedish meatballs - something I've never even eaten so it feels a bit risky.

Wish me luck!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying My Varoma Tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »
You'll be fine BB.  I was like you with mine, wouldn't even steam vegies in it to start with.  Can't remember how I got motivated to use it - probably this forum  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:54 pm »
 :D So funny. Like the Varoma is a huge scary beast!! I was the same, took me a while to try it out. Love it now!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »
We're all nervous when we first start using the TM especially using the Varoma.It will become second nature soon and you will laugh at yourself at being so scared.I bet the meatballs were great.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:52:37 pm »
I'm sure you'll be fine - like anything new, it's a bit scarey at first but it soon becomes second nature.

Word of warning though - be careful when you lift the lid of the Varoma as that steam is very hot and can scald  :o :o

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:30:44 pm »
I know just how you feel.  I was very nervous of using my varoma for the first time.  Now it's just second nature.  Thermy and the varoma have made most of my saucepans redundant   :D
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:13 am »
Well, not a huge success.  They did get a thumbs up from the kids but a definite thumbs down from daddy (and me if I'm honest).

It was very easy though so I'm not giving up on using it (at least not yet)!  Just have to try something else.  I'm going to hunt through this forum for some recommendations.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:29:17 am »
BB sorry to hear that but pleased the kidlets enjoyed it  :D :D  This recipe has had mixed reviews, did you read them here?

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3591.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:45:14 am »
Thanks Judy.  Yes, I had read the reviews although I think it was before the last one (i.e. the least favourable one) was posted.  My kids are pretty easy-going foodwise which is lucky for me.  I think they really liked how soft everything was in this meal. 

I think my next Varoma attempt might be one of the fish dishes.  Not tonight though.  Need to give hubby a rest from my experimentation I think.   ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 08:55:37 am »
Sorry to hear BB - the first dish I did was the Asian fish with rice - I love the Varoma.

Try baf's chicken in the Varoma - a winner
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »
I think the Asian fish is going to be my next attempt and I'll also try the chicken.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:19:07 am »
I've got the meatloaf in there right now.  Not sure how it is going to turn out but the sauce is smelling delicious.  Am hoping it might be another hit with the kids.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:34 am »
Hope the texture was suitable.  It tends to be soft like the meatballs - but as I have said - I like it that way.

Good luck with the fish.  I really like that dish.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.