Author Topic: New Spice Shop in Melbourne Victoria Australia  (Read 5626 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
New Spice Shop in Melbourne Victoria Australia
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:16:25 am »
Today I discovered a new Spice shop in Melbourne,  well actually in Lygon St., Carlton.  (342)  It is absolutely fab.   
  Phone number  +61  3  9023  1028

www.gewurzhaus.com.au

info@gewurzhaus.com.au

What i liked about it was that they had a variety of ground spices which the customer could select and put in small bags which carried a description of what was in the mix and recommendations for use.   For example.......
Winter Soup Mix
"  The first types of soup can be dated back to 6000 BC,  where the main ingredient was hippopotamus!  This delicious mix is a great base for clear or thick winter soups.   Either include at the start when browning onions and garlic,  or add directly into broth.  Use generously and season to taste."

Ingredients...   Carrot,  spinach,tomato. bell pepper,  onion , celery,  parsley, garlic, potato.

Although this particular mix didn't smell as spectacular as some of the others,  the mention of hippo,  (our favorite meat ;D) suggested that I would have to try it.

I also bought some Himalayan Pink Salt,  which I intend to sprinkle on some of Isi's rolls.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Spice Shop in Melbourne Victoria Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:53:27 pm »
Guess it was another shop DH had to drag you out of Chookie  :D :D :D   Sounds interesting.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:11:20 am »
Have you tried hippo meat Chookie? We had a close encounter with them in Ethiopia but it certainly wasn't a culinary encounter.  ;) ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:56:02 am »
I didn't even know you could buy hippo meat here.
The spice shop sounds wonderful.  My next trip to Melbourne will include that as well as Borders in Carlton.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:34:15 am »
Cookie,  well worth a visit.  I would be happy to show you around Carlton.   We prefer Readings to Boarders,  it's just across the road.
Cookie,  I don't think you can buy Hippo meat,  I think they just put it on the packet as an example of early Egyptian cooking.   

Chelsea.  I believe Hippo's are quite dangerous.  Sounds like you found out the hard way.!!!

JD,  DH sat out side the shop reading the paper,  which was good as I could take my time,  and I did.

I bought quite a few,  what fascinated me was that most of the curry mixes could be made in the TMX.  The Hippo mix was the least exotic of all available,  I just liked the idea of a vegetable mix that was used, probably a thousand years ago.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:23 pm »
Oh that sounds wonderful  chookie! I just love those sort of shops.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:23:09 pm »
I went in there a few weeks ago - it is FABULOUS. I loved the 20 different types of salt.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:07 pm »
zebraa,  yes I loved the salt also,  I bought some Himalayan salt and sprinkled it on some bread rolls before I cooked them.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:14:26 am »
Thanks Chookie - I saw it written up on a blog & thought I'd go & check it out tomorrow.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.