Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6131132 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #4005 on: November 07, 2012, 04:47:08 am »
Gert & DD thats an eye opener for me. :o

H
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:13 am »
Den that is so true. The Medicare system is scary. Do not ever get sick in the US. Bad as it is our system does not leave people on the streets.

I love Osso Bucco Hally but I like to make it in my slow cooker ie: oven.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: November 07, 2012, 04:51:05 am »
I heard once it costs alot to have a baby (as in actually birth it) in the US... is it true?
To think we get a baby bonus here...
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: November 07, 2012, 04:53:57 am »
Australia is the lucky country
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #4009 on: November 07, 2012, 04:55:31 am »
I've worked with American nurses and they work right up until they go into labour. This was many years ago although this nurse was on duty when she went into labour and just went to the maternity ward and gave birth. The laws have probably changed about that though as in Australia.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: November 07, 2012, 04:59:18 am »
I've worked with American nurses and they work right up until they go into labour. This was many years ago although this nurse was on duty when she went into labour and just went to the maternity ward and gave birth. The laws have probably changed about that though as in Australia.

I doubt it. She probably went straight back to work. The bill for 9 months care for my first child with only a GP was $160

I cannot even imagine what it cost to have a baby in the US. I would estimate more than $6000.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:58 am »

I doubt it. She probably went straight back to work. The bill for 9 months care for my first child with only a GP was $160

I cannot even imagine what it cost to have a baby in the US. I would estimate more than $6000.

Gert

:o :o :o :o :o
:D

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: November 07, 2012, 05:11:13 am »
Instead of starting a new thread ....I thought I'd ask here and hopefully someone can answer........Are there Gold Class Cinemas in Adelaide....particularly Tea Tree Plaza...or something like that and if yes, how much are tickets??

Tasty as far as I know the only Gold Class cinema's in Adelaide are at Marion (Event Cinema's) and West Lakes (Reading Cinema's).  Prices vary according to movie, time etc.  Their websites would have the price. 

Neither of these are near Tea Tree Plaza - Hoyts are at TTP, but I don't think they have Gold Class.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

mcmich

« Reply #4013 on: November 07, 2012, 05:13:51 am »
25 years ago to have my daughter with top health cover at The San still cost me about $800.

Didn't have health insurance and went public (Westmead) with Dano and didn't cost me a cent although there were a few hiccups like the fact that he was breech. I lost a lot of confidence actually nearly 23 years later I still haven't been for my 6 week check-up.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: November 07, 2012, 05:47:47 am »
Astarra, we haven't always had the baby bonus or paid leave in Australia. When I had my two 17 & 12 I didn't get anything and had to save to cover the cost of our bills while I was going to be on maternity leave as I'm the bread winner but really wanted to have at least some time off with the kids, managed 12 months with DS but only 4 with DD. i would still not want to be in the US without a job paying good health cover as part of my package. I have many US peers and fortunately we have a very generous health package but I hear a lot of stories of those not so lucky.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: November 07, 2012, 05:52:31 am »
How many hospitals could they have built for the cost of the election?

Gert

mcmich

« Reply #4016 on: November 07, 2012, 06:22:04 am »
The public sector has had paid maternity leave for many many years.
I was one of the first ones in NSW, 26 yrs ago to go on maternity leave and I didn't have to come back and make up the time. 6 weeks full pay, 6 weeks half pay.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: November 07, 2012, 06:33:52 am »
My nephew had a bad motorcycle accident several years ago. He didn;t have health insurance and the state he was in had minimal 3rd party requirements for motorist.  The lady who hit him only and $40k of third party insurance (I am still gobsmacked by this). He spent 1 month in hospital, intensive care several surgeries, they didn't expect him to make it.  He had no health insurance. His hospital bill was in excess of of $400k. He had to declare bankruptcy at the age of 24.

Our first DD was born in a Naval hospital in the US, she cost less than $10. That was for meals because my wife was a dependent and not in the military. Second DD was born in public hospital in Perth and all it cost was the TV hire.

*suzanne*

« Reply #4018 on: November 07, 2012, 06:36:02 am »
Wow DD that is a terrible story about your nephew, so glad to be in Australia

Offline Moptop

• View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:32 am »
My Mum had a stroke while on holiday in the US 2 months ago.  She spent 48 hours in hospital.  The bills are still arriving - so far they are just over $72,000!!!!  Thank heavens for travel insurance.

moptop
You were born to stand out, don't waste your life trying to fit in.