Author Topic: Should I Buy The New TM??  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Re: Should I Buy The New TM??
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:03 am »
I sold my TM31 and bought the TM5. I was tempted by the chip and the digital fun. I know that more chips will become available but even so there is really not enough reason to upgrade to the TM5. I am wondering if the makers will be changing it sooner than they have previous models. I am thinking this because having been a hotelier and restaurant owner, I do not think that chefs are likely to be upgrading as I don't see them using the chip at all! The chip difference is really the only major difference so I would work with your TM31 and love it as I did mine.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:02:40 am »
Lovely to see you posting Dot. Hope all is well with you.  :)
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:10 pm »
Another question please. Does the chip in the new TM mean that you can only make the things that are on that chip? Can't believe that it does, but I need to ask.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:05:28 pm »
Another question please. Does the chip in the new TM mean that you can only make the things that are on that chip? Can't believe that it does, but I need to ask.
I don't have a TM5 but I believe you do not have to follow the chip, you do your own thing.  The chip is purely a recipe book, like a hard book, but an electronic version.

Anyway, I have had my 31 for years now and am not even slightly tempted to change, I love that machine!  One thing that really troubled me about the 5 is, I believe, if the power goes off, you cannot even take the lid off!  I may be wrong, but I am sure I have heard that.  Can you imagine what it would be like if you are without power for more than 5 - 10 minutes!  No thanks, not for me.

Good to hear from you Dot.  Hope all is well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:57 am »
Marina that is a real nuisance. I haven't had it happen to me yet, but I can just see me fishing stuff out of the machine with a tiny, long handled spoon. There should be a kill switch.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 06:17:05 am »
Thank you Mcmich and Cuildidh. I and my daughter are doing fine............well except for the old problems of arthritis and spinal stenosis both of which present walking difficulties. We are both dipping into the Kilner (or do you call them Mason) jar salad meals which I have to say are very good and  terrific for a takeaway. Combine this with aquafit and we hope to improve our health even further.

Past94x.....The chip only does the recipes in it's twin book. The recipes you particularly like from that book can be saved into a "favourites" directory....found on the chip. You otherwise use the TM5 just as the TM31. I see that Germany has about 5 new chips. They seem to be quite general and not directed at any ingredients that are difficult to find, however, I'm ashamed to say that my German is poor despite my living there for 4 years in the 60's. (We English are known to be a bit lazy at languages. :-[)

I was told that I could buy a second bowl but there is a delay due to the rush to buy the machine at the moment. When I mention Thermomix here, nobody knows what I am talking about, so I don't quite accept the "rush". I  am living in a Thermomix desert here. My children comment that it is because no sane person would pay that much for a blender. except for me of course  ;D
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:09:03 am »
Typical children. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/