Author Topic: cheese and zucchini mini muffins  (Read 36166 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
cheese and zucchini mini muffins
« on: September 10, 2008, 03:23:26 pm »
Name of Recipe:  cheese and zucchini mini muffins
Number of People: makes around 20 mini muffins
Ingredients:
1/4 - 1/2 a zucchini - depending on how fussy your kids are
50g cheese - again depends on how cheesy you want
1 egg
40g sugar
20g oil
100g buttermilk
200g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 180C
chop zucchini on about speed 4 for 3 seconds
add cheese, chop on speed 4 for 3 seconds
**can chop it a bit more if this doesnt look fine enough - I had to have the zucchini really fine so my son wouldnt be able to notice it!!**
Add all the rest of the ingredients
Mix on speed 4 for 35 seconds and then give a quick stir and scrape with the spatula

Tips/Hints:

This recipe is sort of made up so the time and speed is a bit hit and miss, but the results have been all good so far and they muffins have barely lasted the morning!!  I've also done them by adding some sultanas and a squeeze of honey
I think that the muffin recipe in the TM cook book mixes the batter just a bit too long which is why Ive said 35 secs and not 40.

members' comments

cathy79 - These were very nice.  I doubled the recipe and then doubled the zucchini and cheese again.  It made about 15 large muffins.  Freeze beautifully.  Next time I'll probably add some bacon as well.  They're a great lunch for the kids.

earth mumma - This is a staple school lunch for my kids.  I use a whole small zucchini, a small carrot and use about 100gm of cheese.  I usually only add sugar if I remember and then about 1-2 tsp. Sometimes I add herbs if I have them on hand.  I use the big muffin cases and it usually makes 12.  Thanks for the recipes - we love it.  Oh and I also use spelt flour instead of normal.

Zan - Used 1/2 a courgette, the girls all loved them so these will be a regular in our house, great for lunch boxes. (oh I did only get 16 mini muffins)

Tasty - I needed a healthy snack idea and decided this was it, even if it's under the baby and kids section hehe

Quick and simple to make. I ended up making 28 actually and used 1/2 zucchini. The recipe didn't say how long to cook it for so they seemed ready at around 20 minutes. They had a sweet taste and I will definitely make again as they are so easy.

I was hoping someone could tell me though why most of the mixture stuck to the side of the patty pan so somewhat wasted. Is it to do with ingredients or cooking time (I didn't have buttermilk so did the milk and vinegar thing someone suggested as a replacement).

Bubbles - they were a hit with DH, DD4 and DS2. I doubled the recipe and added bacon as suggested in another post. Tasty, I used spray oil on my muffin tins so that they wouldn't stick and they came out no worries. Will definitely be making these again thank you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:30:24 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: cheese and zuchinni mini muffins
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:17:20 am »
Thanks for sharing the recipe.  Great to have ideas such as this and congratulations for being the first to post in this section.

Doesn't matter about being a bit hit and miss  ;D  Most of my recipes should have the same disclosure at the bottom of the page.  :-[   It really depends on so many factors that I nearly always end up with different times for the same dish done 5 times.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:50:48 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11:09 am »
These were very nice.  I doubled the recipe, and then doubled the zuchinni and cheese again, and made about 15 large muffins.  Freeze beautifully.  Next time I'll probably add some bacon as well.  They're a great lunch for the kids.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:41:50 am by cathybenson79 »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:29:01 am »
I can't wait to try these, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 07:39:17 am »
This is a staple school lunch for my kids.  I use a whole small zuchini, a small carrot and use about 100gm of cheese.  I usually only add sugar if I remeber and then about 1-2 tsp. sometimes I add herbs if I have them on hand.  I use the big muffin cases and it usually makes 12.  Thanks for the recipes - we love it.  Oh and I also use spelt flour instead of normal.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:45:58 am »
Thanks for reminding me of this recipe.  Will have to make some more for the freezer emergency lunches.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:25:14 pm »
Went to make these yesterday, and discovered I didn't have any Zucchini.  Broccoli makes a good substitute.  I used half a head and all of the stem and chopped very well, and doubled all other ingredients.

The mix looked quite dry and I thought I must have done something wrong.  So added more milk till it looked the right consistency for muffins.  Added a good sprinkle of mixed herbs.

Delicious!  Turned out very well and have a few in the freezer.  Later that day I realised that of course more moisture would be required - zucchini has lots of liquid in it when blended, and broccoli is very dry.  Glad I went with my instincts as they would have been very dry otherwise. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:18:29 am »
Good tweak CB79.  ta.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 06:16:58 am »
Great idea! Will try it  ;D
Gabry from Adelaide

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:35:55 am »
Made these today.

Used 1/2 a courgette, the girls all loved them so these will be a regular in our house, great for lunch boxes. (oh I did only get 16 mini muffins)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 06:40:30 am »
Good one Zan - nice to hear the kids appreciating your efforts.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 06:47:37 am »
Well first batch all gone so made another batch today.
dd3 is loving them too so think next time I'll do a double batch. Added a little more cheese and zucchini this time as well.

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:26 am »
hi - I"m new here, 1st post and loving all the recipes, just a bit overwhelmed where to start :) I just got my TM a month or so ago and love it though so far mostly cakes and thats not great for the weight..chicken biryani was beautiful, beef teriyaki ok still needs a bit of work, humus was good once not so great the next time, tzatziki just ok, chinese spicy eggplants great first time not so great the next (think i forgot some stuff), torte caprese and the easy choc cakes just gorgeous

quick question on this - what is buttermilk and can i use normal milk??

I want to start getting my almost 3yo to eat some veggies

thanks!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 06:10:15 am »
Hi ladybird, welcome to the forum.  Here's a link to a description of buttermilk.  You will find it in the dairy cabinet of your supermarket usually in a 600ml carton, you can make your own if you make a batch of butter or you can simply add lemon juice or vinegar to ordinary milk (to one cup of milk add 1 tblspn either white vinegar or lemon juice, stand 5 minutes and use in any recipe which calls for buttermilk .

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqbuttermilk.htm
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 06:15:44 am »
ladybird, I've made these with regular milk and they work great.
We still make these all the time.

btw Welcome and glad you are having some successes and hope to see you around here more.