Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522664 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #8820 on: June 01, 2013, 01:12:30 pm »
Kimmyh if your DH wants to sell that thing I will be the first to buy one.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline mrsb

• View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: June 01, 2013, 01:22:41 pm »
What colour should I get? I'm not good at making decisions...   :-))

The green stands out and I like it, pink is favourite colour, black will suit the black Samsung tablet and there is a 'new' frosty colour that looks nice too. Oh my....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »
Go for your favourite colour mrsb - there, does that help LOL. Sometimes we just need someone to make the decision for us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8823 on: June 01, 2013, 04:33:58 pm »
How long do tea leaves remain fresh? I was given some very expensive green tea leaves which is about 2 years old!

The black and oolong teas will keep for a long time - some teas are intentionally aged - as long as they are not exposed to damp or very high heat.  I have some Assam teas, very malty, sweet with a chestnut flavor, that I have had for eight or nine years.  A friend who was visiting India sent me TWO POUNDS and I have kept it in a large tea caddy that seals snugly. 
I have very sensitive taste and have noticed no appreciable loss of flavor. 

Green teas do oxidize with time but I have some five-year-old gunpowder that still has excellent flavor. 

I have been told that with some of the white teas they are purposely aged for ten to twenty years before being sold and some tea fanciers will buy an entire crop of the rarest and keep them until "properly" aged. 

I have belonged to TeaMail for many years and was also a member of a now defunct online tea association that started with user groups and Compuserv  when the "internet" was still in its infancy.

When you ask a question on one of the groups, you will get as many answers as there are active members and everyone has an opinion, as it should be.  I have always held to the idea that it should be PERSONAL preference that determines what you drink and how you drink it.

Twenty years ago I remember when one of the discussions was about adding milk to tea and the  MIF vs. MIL (milk in first or milk in last)  got rather hot and heavy. 
The thing is that my great grandmother, a very "proper" Victorian lady,  always wanted the milk in first and said it was to protect her antique bone china cups.  One of my aunts, who grew up in the 1920s, considered that terrible and insisted on milk in last.  However, as my great grandmother was pretty much the boss, until her death in 1949, guess how tea was served when she was sitting at the table....  (She was almost 105 when she died - born in 1844 and still had all her mental faculties.)
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #8824 on: June 01, 2013, 11:33:47 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice. It is a very special tea and I would have hated to throw it away.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:36 am »
Yesterday I bought a new washing machine.  I was not really happy about it.  The old one was still working fine but the indicator bezal that engaged into the timer broke. A $5 part that is no longer available.

We got another front loader, a 7kg Beko. IT was Choice's number 3 pick behind 2 Akso machines and about 1/2 the price.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: June 02, 2013, 05:41:03 am »
All for the sake of a $5 part!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mrsb

• View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: June 02, 2013, 06:53:41 am »
I'd be annoyed too DD.

Andiesenji, you have a wealth of knowledge. Very interesting, especially about the milk.

I ended up buying the new 'frosty' colour along with the thermolover kit that has two spatulas, two scrubbers and two brushes. Can hardly wait til they arrive. How long am I going to have to wait Gert?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: June 02, 2013, 07:12:51 am »
I'd be annoyed too DD.

Andiesenji, you have a wealth of knowledge. Very interesting, especially about the milk.

I ended up buying the new 'frosty' colour along with the thermolover kit that has two spatulas, two scrubbers and two brushes. Can hardly wait til they arrive. How long am I going to have to wait Gert?

Probably no more than  15 days.. She is pretty efficient at getting them out. It is the PO. That is slack.  You are gunna love the spatula as well as the Kribbitt which is amazing.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: June 02, 2013, 12:10:59 pm »
Kimmyh if your DH wants to sell that thing I will be the first to buy one.

Gert
Thanks Gert, I will tell him. He will smile indeed. And to think I keep telling him not to give up his day job!

mcmich

« Reply #8830 on: June 02, 2013, 09:53:39 pm »
That is so annoying DD.  >:(

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: June 04, 2013, 05:40:38 am »

I've hunted high & low in store here, since Jo NZ posted about them....no luck so just ordered online.  Great  for the lunch boxes I think.

....think I've exhausted this subject matter...but what's another book gonna hurt?  :P

Bought another 300 sticks...used the last 80 sticks teaching DS cooking class how to make cake pops....they did so well, and only 5 balls fell into the chocolate pot  :)...I was expecting more casualties  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: June 04, 2013, 06:03:00 am »
Mandy where did you get the lunch box snack containers
Medusa, in Oz

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: June 04, 2013, 06:08:34 am »
Medusa, if you just google Fuel Snack 'n Dip containers  that should bring up a number of suppliers . . .

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:08 am »
Maddy love the book :)
Mum to Crown Prince......