Author Topic: I HAVE given up smoking  (Read 110613 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: I giving up smoking :D
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »
Great plan :)

Hw many do you ave a day?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:27:51 pm by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 11:27:43 pm »
something to look forward to, Mandi.  :D
:D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:31 pm »
Dede you can do it. I gave up cold turkey 2 1/2 years ago whilst DH used the medication. I was in my thirties and had smoked since 16. How terrible is that. But I haven't looked back and will be honest it is hard and even now I sometimes feel like one. But I feel amazing and will never go back. I found having alcohol and no smoke the hardest and kinda don't drink as much now either but do enjoy a good sauv blanc when I go out or special occasions. My trick was to sip a glass of water or suck on a water bottle when I felt like one. This helps suppress appetite too. I also started an exercise regime to get my mind off it and 2 1/2 years later am smoke free and 17kgs lighter. Good luck and your forum friends are only a tap away :)

Mama Fergie

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:19 pm »
My DD tried everything to quit but always ended up smoking  again until she went to a hypnotist.
She has now been smoke free for 3 years and financially much better off.
She said it was the easiest method and stopped immediately after her session. :)
Good luck Dede, we are all behind you  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:22 pm »
Smoking is so not acceptable these days Mandi so I'm glad you have made the decision to quit.  I went cold turkey 21 years ago and it was surprisingly easy. DH did the same a month later.  I never did understand why people spend all that money on patches etc.  My weight really didn't alter in the long term, I used to diet all the time then once I stopped, I put the weight back on + some.  Now I eat more carefully, have whatever I want in moderation and I am happy with the weight for my age.  Be happy in your own skin I say.  The price of cigarettes is so high these days I really don't understand how anyone can afford it, that alone is good enough reason to quit but the health benefits will be great.  I used to get a sore throat all the time but rarely have that or even a cold these days.  Good luck, we are all behind you. :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline 50plusandlovinglife

• Our little girl Braandi
    • View Profile
    • 50plusandlovinglife.wordpress.com
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:54 pm »
My friend was a heavy smoker - 2 packs a day and DIDN'T want to give up. Her husband gave up due to health reasons and she still didn't want to give up, I am not sure what changed her mind, but she went to a session for about 4 hours, she insists was not hypnotism but I think it was, she hasn't smoked for over 5 months now and has not had a single smoke since she came out of the session. I think it cost about $500 and am not sure how much a pack of cigarettes is but her husband thought the cost was worth it.
Hope you do well.
50plusandlovinglife

Life is short - enjoy it while you can

Mama Fergie

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:40 pm »
Big brother is definately watching  :o
Since I posted about my DD going to a hypnotist there is now an ad for a hypnotherapist at the top of my screen  ???

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »
MF, i didnt get that, but other times I have adds pop upthat were related to what I was talking about :o :o

Mama Fergie

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 11:48:30 pm »
Weird isn't it Hally  :o

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:18 pm »
Sppoky, maybe there is some type of search engine on here that sends trigger words out & we get the ads.

Offline 50plusandlovinglife

• Our little girl Braandi
    • View Profile
    • 50plusandlovinglife.wordpress.com
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 11:52:41 pm »
just opened this post and noticed  quit smoking ad, I will have to keep an eye on what I post in future
50plusandlovinglife

Life is short - enjoy it while you can

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:18 pm »
Mandi, I am so proud of you for taking this step.  Nicotine is more addictive than heroine so this is what makes it so hard to give up.

You sound so positive that I am sure you will have no problems.  Some days will be worse than others, but once your mind is made up that is easily more than 80% of the battle.  You WILL do it because you WANT to do it and that is important.

Hally's idea of doing something different at the times you would normally have a cigarette is a good one and I am sure that will be a big help.

I started typing this answer and got interrupted for about 10 minutes and see that there have been 8 replies in that time period - you have certainly got the power of the forum behind you.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:26 am »
Thanks everyone, it makes me feel more positive knowing I have all these people behind me.
And I smoke about 25 a day, sometimes more some times less depending what I'm doing. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:09 am »
You have to be ready in your head to give up and succeed. For me I did 4 months of boot camp and just couldn't breathe when we had to run. I likened it to what emphasemia (?) would be like and from Day 1 on the boot camp I gave up. The test was having a couple of wines at a BBQ that same week with my friend puffing away in the next chair. I was so amazed that I didn't even get the urge and never have about 5 years on - so strong was that sub conscious connection with getting emphasemia. That breathlessness I now know is exercise induced asthma, but it certainly did the trick. Hypnosis may be good to try, I did that for child birth. "They" say it is harder to give up smoking than heroin however who is "they" ? I reckon its the ciggie companies who say this to brain wash their customers that its near on impossible. Your mind is the most powerful tool so its gotta be convinced that you really mean it this time. Go for it Mandi, you can do it.

Maybe put aside a savings account with what you would normally spend on ciggies and treat yourself at the 1year anniversary. Commit yourself and open the account now so you are ready straight away to put the money in. Your kids will be happier with your decision than you'll ever realise.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:16:09 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:20 am »
Sending huge support from UK. You can do it.
Tap away on here anytime day or night, someone will be here.

I've never smoked but DH did long before I met him.
Gave up cold turkey about 15 yrs ago and never regretted it.
He couldn't afford it and wanted to stop anyway for his health.

Sending +ve vibes and healing thoughts to aid you through the process.
Xx