Author Topic: Simple, chemical free mosquito trap  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Simple, chemical free mosquito trap
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:35 am »
I picked this up off someone on Facebook, who is possibly called Cairns or Charlotte.  There was an illustration with it, but it didn't transfer over to the forum so I have tried to explain the trap as explicitly as possible.  Hope this works for those plagued by mosquitoes.

Items needed:

200 ml hot water
50 grams of brown sugar,
1 gram of yeast
2 litre plastic bottle - the type you buy soft drinks in, i.e. coca cola, lemonade, etc.

Cut the plastic bottle into two - 2/3 for the base leaving one third for the top “funnel” part.

Dissolve brown sugar in hot water.  Let cool. When cold, pour into the bottom half of the bottle.

Add the yeast. No need to mix.

Up end the top of the bottle into the base / bottom half of the bottle so that the small (screw cap end) opening is at the bottom of the “funnel” and its cut side opening is on the top and the whole is pushed fully into the bottom half of the bottle ensuring that the small opening is above the water / yeast mixture – that’s a lot of words to say, turn the top half of the bottle upside down and stuff it into the bottom half of the bottle!

Wrap the bottle with something black or dark, but keep the top fully open, and leave in some corner of your house.  Check it after a week or two to see if needs to be renewed / replaced.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Simple, chemical free mosquito trap
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:32:51 am »
I don"t have many mosquitoes around here but it would be interesting to see if it works might make one and put it near the outdoor eating area.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:14 am »
Not so much when the weather cools down, but during summer they can be a horror . .Thanks for this! Will definitely give it a try . . .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:08 am »
DH always says we have mozzies in our bedroom. I will have to raid a bin and get the bottle and give this a try. Would be handy for Monkey Mia.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:55:15 pm »
I'm a mosquito magnet. Everyone else is safe if I'm around. I'll definitely be making one of these ;D Thank you

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:24:16 am »
it would be good up here,
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url