Author Topic: UK Lemon Curd  (Read 27059 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
UK Lemon Curd
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:50:54 pm »
Name of Recipe: Lemon Curd
Number of People: 1 jar
Ingredients:  75 g caster sugar
juice and finely grated zest of large, juicy lemon
2 large eggs
50 g unsalted butter

Preparation:
1.  Put all the ingredients in the TM bowl.  Mix 15 seconds on Speed 6.
2.  Scrape down the sides with the spatula
3.  Insert the whisk.  Cook 4 minutes at 80oC on Speed 4
4.  If it hasn't thickened enough, continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
5.  Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:  I got this recipe from the UK Fast and Easy Cooking book.  I made a double batch, and it took an extra 3 minutes of cooking time.  Great recipe if you like to really taste the lemon.  If you prefer a sweeter lemon curd, use the Australian recipe (called lemon cheese, I think - can't quite remember).

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: UK Lemon Curd
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:09:56 pm »
thanks caroline
this Fast and Easy book, is it one that can be purchased from TM UK?  I can get my parents to bring one over if it is easy to get hold of
what other books do they have in the UK?

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:51:35 pm »
I recently wrote them.  They said:

We have three excellent TM31 cookbooks in the English language.

1. "Fast and Easy Cooking" book with 300 recipes, UK£19.95 each   
2. "Demonstrator Delights", 88 favourite recipes from our UK demonstrators,
UK£12.95 each
3.  "Full Steam Ahead" with 74 steam cooking recipes, UK£19.95 each

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:30:21 am »
excellent, I will see if I can get them sent to my mums place.
Caroline, would you be able to give us an idea of some of the recipes in the Fast and EAsy book and the Demonstrators book - just in case somehow they are in one of the Australian books anyway

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:31:48 am »
i'm going to give this lemon curd a try over the weekend - for my secret santa person at work ;) (and the lady whose tree donated the lemons ;))
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 03:33:47 pm »
excellent, I will see if I can get them sent to my mums place.
Caroline, would you be able to give us an idea of some of the recipes in the Fast and EAsy book and the Demonstrators book - just in case somehow they are in one of the Australian books anyway

The Demonstrator Delights book is completely different to Oz book.  The Fast and Easy Cooking looks like it's got some of the same basics stuff at first glance, but I decided to get Everyday Cooking anyway because they had quite a lot of different recipes.  I've since found that even the 'duplicated' recipes are different, meaning that I can experiment and see which version I like best (like the lemon curd recipe here  :D ).

Egs from Demonstrators are All in one lamb curry and rice, chelsea buns, celery cantonese, chicken chasseur, etc, etc).  From Fast and Easy: elderflower cordial, orange squash, trout with pesto, tomatoes and vegetables, fish couscous, gefilte fish, fish pie, various jams and chutneys, hungarian goulash, lamb curry, burgers stuffed with goats cheese, etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 03:34:14 am »
i just made it this morning - yum!!!

i think the hardest bit was zesting the lemons which i am not keen to repeat! has anyone found a good way to chop the peel in the tmx?

anyway, i doubled the recipe and was disappointed in how much it made - obviously my jars were FAR bigger than theirs!

agree with caroline about the cooking time, definitely needed to be 7 minutes not 4.

thanks caroline!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:51:11 am by brazen20au »
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 08:33:52 am »
Karen, your lemon curd looks lovely. My next batch will be the UK recipe.  Which of the two recipes do you prefer?  Great photo too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 08:36:39 am »
i havne't made the other yet, might attempt it this week ;) (my gf gave me all the lemons off her tree, they are such yummy ones too!)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Soni@

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:01:09 pm »

i think the hardest bit was zesting the lemons which i am not keen to repeat! has anyone found a good way to chop the peel in the tmx?

Hi. I usually put the sugar and the lemon zest in the bowl and mix both on speed 9 for approx. 15 seconds.
I'll try this recipe too  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 09:01:22 pm »
anyway, i doubled the recipe and was disappointed in how much it made - obviously my jars were FAR bigger than theirs!

Could well be bigger than ours.  Or maybe the lemons we're using are a bigger variety?  We don't have the luxury of picking them off our own trees, of course (I wish!), so maybe the lemons we get at the supermarket are bigger???  I'd tell you the size of our jars - if only I knew!  Mine have been recycled so many times I haven't a clue what the label said originally  ;D

Offline greenie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:58 am »

Hi. I usually put the sugar and the lemon zest in the bowl and mix both on speed 9 for approx. 15 seconds.
I'll try this recipe too  ;)
[/quote]

Me too!  It works really well & smells divine.  I do this when making jams and include quite a bit of the pith, which I think helps the jam set better (more pectin?).

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12:09 pm »

Egs from Demonstrators are All in one lamb curry and rice, chelsea buns, celery cantonese, chicken chasseur, etc, etc).  From Fast and Easy: elderflower cordial, orange squash, trout with pesto, tomatoes and vegetables, fish couscous, gefilte fish, fish pie, various jams and chutneys, hungarian goulash, lamb curry, burgers stuffed with goats cheese, etc, etc, etc.

Caroline, please post the gefilte fish recipe. Mums coming over next week for 2 weeks and that will really make her very happy!
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »
Ps I made Lemon Meringue Pie yesterday! not much left to post the picture! Sorry guys! Must admit the lemon curd I made did look more yellowy ??? must be because I only used yolks and saved the whites for the meringue ;D Absolutely delicious!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 01:04:31 am »

Must admit the lemon curd I made did look more yellowy ??? must be because I only used yolks and saved the whites for the meringue

Might be those Spanish double-yolkers - our yolks vary in colour a lot.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.