Author Topic: Autisim  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
Autisim
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
I have a 11yr old grandson who is autistic. He was diagnosed when he was two.  My daughter has tried everything to help him ... reflexology, homeopathy,  diets, (he refused to eat what she had made and starved himself for several days until she gave in)  you name it she has tried it.  His behavior is now getting out of hand,  breaking doors , 6 windows, terrible melt downs and it is affecting the whole family terribly. Granddaughter may be coming to stay for most weekends just to get out of the house.
DD is now thinking seriously of getting him medicated which she has been so opposed to because of the possible side affects.. obesity, tics and more.  We are now wondering if he also could be bipolar as he is getting more highs and deep lows.

Has anyone got knowledge of the different medication used for autistic children and side affects. Unfortunately it takes several months to get an appointment with a pediatrician and I truly believe they cannot wait that long before the family splits up

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Autisim
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:26 am »
We have a grandmother here who is looking after her her grandson. I think he has Aspergers. Her name is RosieB. You could try PM'ing her to see if she has any helpful suggestions.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:52 am »
Good luck.  I feel for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:42:36 am »
I don't have any answers, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and your family.  :)
:D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58:52 am »
Has your DD been in contact with the autisim association in your state? Can she get some respite care for her son to give them some time out?
These children are hard work sending hugs to you and your family.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 02:02:22 am »
Sorry I can't help but thinking of you and your family and hoping someone on here can offer some help. All the best.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:03:30 am »
several months for a appointment is crazy.
Hope your doctor can get them in as a emergency.

sending hugs :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:13:48 am »
Kay, your daughter sounds like she is in a really tough situation at the moment - my thoughts go out to her.

I don't have any experience with autism and meds so I can't offer any advice there but I have had quite a bit of experience with paedatricians as I had to use one when DS was little. 

Although the waiting period might normally be a couple of months, if the situation is extreme there will be a paed who can normally fit you in.  Your daughters situation is extreme, there is violence and one of the other children need to leave the family home to escape it.  I would suggest that your daughter go and see her GP and explain the severity of the situation to them.  The GP can then call the paeds and request an urgent appointment.  You will find that a call from the GP can get you into the paed a lot faster.

Good luck!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:59 am »
I know Frozzie's brother has autisim and I am sure there are other families on here too just can't remember names.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:48 am »
Kay, I feel for your family, I have a grandson with Aspbergers but there is no violence from him, funny mannerisms, annoying habits etc.  he can be frustrating but nothing to what your family is going through.  I agree with the others tell your daughter to go to the GP and lay it on  the line with him , tell him she just can't cope any more and yes I think she will have to give him meds for them all to survive.

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:39:58 am »
Two of my four boys have ADHD. Not autism, but closely related in the same family. My boys are medicated.
Please tell her not to be frightened of medicating - I have friends with autistic kids and it's made a large difference very quickly!
Firstly, dosages are closely monitored by a paediatrician.
Secondly, for every one person telling you that you're doing a good job, there are 100 saying you shouldn't be medicating them - that have little or no knowledge of what they're talking about.
Thirdly - in all honesty, children that are managed and medicated will have a brighter future than those that aren't. They won't grow out of it, they will adjust - but it will always be there. Do what you need for your family unit, and for your children.

I wish them luck. Please tell her not to stress about the wait for the paediatrician, that's the norm where I am for new cases for it to take 6-9 weeks. I cried almost daily waiting for my appt with my boys. But it will get better. If she takes her hubby it will also help.
Get her to get documentation organised from teachers and also to take her own to support her at the appointment. (It's amazing how you get out and only then remember something you wanted to know!)
It will come around before she knows it.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:43:54 am »
I'm so sorry to read of your DD's troubles KayC but it sounds as if you have been given good advice here to relay to your daughter. I wish you all well in your attempts to seek help more quickly.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:54:41 am »
Very sorry to read this. As always good advice can be found on here and support help you through it all.