Author Topic: Ghee  (Read 49597 times)

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
Re: Ghee
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 12:53:00 pm »
Tried to make ghee this evening using the F & E  Indian Cooking book but like Debetha & versaceyoyo found that the butter didn't boil at the porposed 60 deg so amped it up to 100 for 5 min & it still didn't look right. I then put it in the microwave full power for 1 min & it worked! I gues the TM isn't perfect afterall!! nOMG! Anyway..it may not have worked if I hadn't started it in the TM. Will have another go later! Love Indian cooking!  :D

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
    • Life of a Military Wife
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 06:53:17 am »
My ghee according to the Indian Cookbook didn't work either so I went googling and ended up back here.   ;D  It's now in cooking for 45 minutes and then I'll check on it.
Melinda

Offline Nikkerspickers

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:31 pm »
I've made this a few times now and it's perfect. I found a recipe which said to cook cubed butter from the fridge at 50° for 5 mins (not sure how necessary this step is) and then up to Varoma for an hour. I leave the MC off and place a paper towel over the top to help absorb moisture from the steam. I also use this to wipe the inside of the lid carefully after cooking to avoid water dripping into the ghee as this could shorten the shelf life. This method is great. The solids on the bottom are very brown but they do not burn. This actually makes it very easy to strain the ghee and you can be absolutely positive there are no milk solids in your ghee. One thing no one's mentioned is that the difference between clarified butter and ghee is that the solids in ghee are browned, not in clarified butter. This is what gives the ghee it's beautiful, nutty flavour. You really can use this method with confidence :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:32:30 pm by Nikkerspickers »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 01:59:15 am »
Hi Nikkerspickers, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  Perhaps you'd like to pop over to the Introduce Yourself section so that we can all formally welcome.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 03:38:43 am »
Welcome to the forum Nikkerikkers.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 11:26:21 pm »
Just caught up to this  thread and read through all the posts . . .I'd really like to try this sometime soon . . . :)

Offline LillyPilly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:50 am »
Nikkerspikkers seems to have vanished, but their description of ghee is what I'm familiar with, doing it stovetop, so I'll try their  technique first. It really does make a huge difference in flavour if the milk solids are allowed to brown (golden brown, not burned!)

If you aren't lactose intolerant the golden milk solids are delicious! I never bother straining. Let the solids settle, then pour off the clear ghee, leaving the sediment, including any cloudy fluid. The leftovers, murky ghee and true solids can be used in baking, or if you are truly decadent, strain out the solids, salt and spread on toast  :-))

Can't wait to try this, ghee is one of the many, many reasons I am getting a Thermomix! Polenta is another thing I'm going to make in the first few days. Oh, the cloudy ghee and golden solids is wonderful in polenta, instead of plain old butter.

Cultured butter makes delicious clarified butter, but one thing I haven't tried is making ghee from cultured butter. Anyone done that?

Thermomix delivery: "6-8 weeks" minus 2!
TM5, delivered 05/11/2014 😍