Author Topic: Fruit slush  (Read 6619 times)

vivacity

Fruit slush
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:22:02 am »
Right, I know I'm going to hear the sound of hands slapping foreheads when I ask this question, but I'll do it anyway and look stupid.

We're off on holiday to Hungary tomorrow and the quality of fresh fruit there is brilliant. Plus you find loads of fruit in the countryside. My husband's children love slush. How can I show them that slush does not taste best when it's livid green or blue and tastes of undefinable fruit?

I thought I'd puree fruit in my TMX and then freeze it. After that I'd make some icing sugar (again in the TMX) and then add the frozen fruit and atomise the lot. Is that how you do it? Or can I just chop up fruit, freeze the chunks and then blitz it with some icing sugar? Do I need sugar?! Questions, questions...

I'd really appreciate some recipes ;D

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Fruit slush
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:34:38 am »
I haven't made slush, but my guess would be to just whizz the fruit with ice cubes and maybe a little water until it looks to be the consistency you want..  I would try not to add sugar unless really necessary, but if the kids are sugar addicts then maybe put some in and gradually reduce it in each subsequent batch?
Good luck!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

vivacity

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:51:18 am »
Thanks for your answer.

Good suggestion. Luckily, the children aren't sugar addicts but they are attracted to those lurid slush colours :-\ I'm going to win them over with the healthy version, I hope. Plus once I get the hang of making the perfect slush, I can show them how to use the TM to make their own delicious slush mixtures, so they can be creative. I think watermelon slush (we "kill" a couple of water melons every day in Hungary between four people) could be a winner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:51:01 pm »
If you are going to add sugar you are best to grind it first to make icing sugar, then add some ice, fresh fruit and maybe some water.

If you puree the fruit and freeze it, you will need to add some water when you are crushing up the puree blocks  ;D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

vivacity

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:07:03 pm »
I planned to make the sugar into icing sugar first, just like I do when I make icecream. I forgot once, added granulated sugar and never forgot again ;) I'll just cut the fruit into chunks, freeze and then zap it in the TM. That should do it.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26:53 am »
I make it with frozen fruit, icing sugar and add a little water slowly after blitzing to get the desired consistency! ;) Maybe you could add some fresh beetroot, a tiny sliver would be enough to colour it a beautiful red and purple colour, and beetroot is sweet and healthy! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:45:01 pm »
thats a great idea Bron  ;D ;) :-* :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog