Author Topic: Kindle Crisis  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Kindle Crisis
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:47:40 am »
On our way back from holiday yesterday my Kindle died.  Fortunately it got me through the previous 30 odd hours of air travel and died on the Sydney to Melbourne leg.  I ABSOLUTELY NEED to get another one before I wither away and die of kindle deprivation!  What are the current models available?  Which do you think are best?  Can I buy direct from an Australian distributor (I think Dick S.... Electronics sells them?) or is it best to go to Amazon?  I have not had a chance to get onto Amazon yet (this forum even takes priority to my kindle crisis). 

Any / all support, thoughts, ideas and help is greatly needed and appreciated!

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

*suzanne*

Re: Kindle Crisis
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:37:30 am »
I bought my ds's from big w, it's a paperwhite wifi he loves it and hasn't had any issues with it I did have to get the cover from readershop.com.au  though, they also sell Kindles

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:08:19 am »
That's a shame Marina, fortunately you were almost home when it happened. I'm not sure if they have released new ones recently, I have the paperwhite and love it. You can buy from a few retailers in Australia now so no need to pay postage from Amazon and you will be able to get it straight away.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:55:39 am »
What a disaster! Thank goodness you were nearly home. Mine is also a Paperwhite. DD bought her Paperwhite from Big W. She said it was the best price at the time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:41:58 am »
I've got the Paperwhite also, and absolutely love it. Recently I bought the cover (hard) from Dick Sm!th and am very happy with this as it automatically turns it on when you open the cover, and offers some protection. I don't know how they will improve on this model and haven't been able to find out when the next model is coming out.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:53:38 am »
What a shame Marina. I have the paperwhite too and love it.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:18 am »
Lucky you were nearly home & can replace it quickly.

I don't have a kindle so can't help you there but wondering kindle users can help me. My sister-in-law has one & it's her birthday this week. I was thinking of a gift card she can use for her kindle. Is this possible? I've seen a comment on Amazon australia that they don't have them & not sure if the Amazon.com gift card is an option.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 03:54:26 am »
I believe you can use an Amazon Gift Card for kindle, I know this was mentioned a couple of years ago on this forum.  I subsequently went and purchased one but was unsuccessful in redeeming it for the kindle (ended up buying DH books or CDs instead).  If I remember correctly, Cookie may have been the one who posted about this.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 07:31:38 am »
Not me. I do wish I could do it though. I did post about being able to buy Kobo cards for Sony e readers though. However I don't do it anymore as we have had problems with Kobo. I now have a lovely Kindle too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 11:08:11 am »
Thanks I haven't seen a clear answer on this hence holding off buying Amazon.com gift card

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:13 pm »
I just did a search on here for "gift card kindle" and got a few interesting looking hits.  You might like to do the same search and see what comes up.  Perhaps a Google search will also give you some ideas.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:54 am »
I have purchased gift cards for myself as I did not want to have an Amazon account.  When amazon aus. started up I enquired whether the balance that was left could be used on their site  and was told no.  So I have used the american site with no problems.  I still have a balance on the account and will have to renew it soon.  The last gift card I purchased was in December 2014.  You have to go into your account and redeem the card there.  I am assuming nothing has changed.  I purchased the gift card through amazon through my account.   Could you email them and just check, I do know the Australian site does not have gift cards. I don't know whether this helps or not.