Author Topic: Fresh Rice Noodles  (Read 21605 times)

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
Fresh Rice Noodles
« on: August 10, 2010, 02:18:12 pm »
Just thought I'd put this one out there before I try it in case it's been tried before.

You make a batter of rice and water then steam it to set the noodles, it says not to use a food processor but seeing as I reckon the TMX isn't just any old food processor, it's worth a go ;)

http://www.ifood.tv/video/making_rice_noodles

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
Re: Fresh Rice Noodles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:55 pm »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »
Harmony, that is brilliant.  I haven't heard of anyone making these but, as you say, should be a breeze in the TMX.  If you want to use the varoma for steaming, the dish is going to be a bit of a problem - getting one to fit and be big enough may be a problem but I guess size is not important in the finished noodle.  Go for it and let us know how you got on.  I would certainly be interested in making them myself. Thanks for finding this video - very impressive.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:39 am »
That is awesome. I wonder if you could do it on gladbake that was sitting on a couple of egg rings?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:47:54 am »
I was laying in bed last night thinking of this and wonder if you could line the varoma tray with wet baking paper and pour the batter into that.

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:19:39 am »
How cool is that  ;). Thank you Harmony  :-*
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:37:15 am »
Thanks Harmony,  just love something new and different that can be made in the TMX.  I have a couple of Pyrex dishes that I think will be OK.  Think I will spray them with rice bran oil as it has no flavor.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:05 am »
Well Harmony I notice that there are 2 recipes here.   Being an impatient person,  and raining like mad out side I decided to have a go.   This is what happened.  Method 1.    I ground 1 and 1/2 cups of rice in the TMX for 1 and 1/2 mins. at speed 10.   Then I mixed in 1 and 1/2 cups of water.   It felt a little gritty so I mixed for 3 mins,  on speed 7.   I let it stand for 10 mins,  while I sorted through my dishes to see what was suitable.   I tried the Pyrex ones first but the batter sunk towards the middle,   although it steamed well and when cool lifted out of the dish easily.  No graininess in the noodle. 
                                         Method 2.  cooking,  same batter.   I found that an 8inch (20cm) sponge tin with little handles on the side fitted into the Varoma.  With this method you cook a layer of batter for 5 mins. and then oil the top and spread another layer on top .   you do this until all the batter is used up and then cook the lot for 8 further mins.    When cool you cut the whole through into noodles and they are supposed to separate.   Mine didn't.   They stuck together. 
                                         I think the batter was OK,  so would cook the sheets as individuals.
                                         The other method also said to soak the rice in the water over night.   I have some soaking and will see what happens tomorrow.   Thanks for the opportunity to experiment and look forward to what others may find with this recipe.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:30:02 am »
Chookie, what a trooper you are.  So glad you had a wet day over there which forced you to stay indoors and experiment with this great new idea Harmony found. Be interested to read about tomorrow's adventures with the remaining batter.  What did you do with the noodles?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 11:46:13 am »
JD,  I'll cook some to see how they are,   and I think the chooks will get the rest ;D ;D ;D.  Cost/time wise they probably not worth the effort but good fun and at least we know what is in them.  Isn't Harmony a treasure for thinking of them. ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:27:33 am »
Chookie you are indeed a star. Thanks for that. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:17 pm »
Yes they do work ;D ;D ;D ;D    Any one who now has long grain rice and water and a TMX and 2   20cm. (8 inch ), sponge tins can make fresh rice noodles.

Soak 1  1/2 cups of long grain rice in 1  1/2 cups of water over night,  OR(  grind 1  1/2 cups of long grain rice for 1   1/2 mins.  speed 10 in TMX.)  The soaked rice and water should be blended for  2 mins.,  speed 9.  Pour into a jug.

3/4 fill TMX bowl with warm water and set Varoma temp for 10 mins on speed 1.  (it should boil in about 5 mins.)
While water is heating, lightly spray the 2 sponge tins with oil,  (I used rice bran oil).  Place Varoma on top of machine.  Place 1 tin on top of Varoma to heat.   After about 2 mins. pour in enough batter to form a thin coat over base of warm tin .

When the water boils,  set the time for 5 mins,  place tin on top rack of Varoma and cover with lid.  Steam for 5 mins,  speed 1.

While this is steaming,  Pour the batter into the next tin and tip the tin to cover the base.  Sit this tin on top of the Varoma cover while the one inside is cooking.  This sets the next lot of batter a little.

When the 5 mins.  are up,  remove tin and set aside to cool.   Meanwhile place the partially set tin in the Varoma and steam for 5 mins.

After about 2 mins.  the cooling batter,  (now a disk), is ready to remove.  Using a spatula,  ease the rice disk  out of the tin,  and place on a wire rack to complete cooling.  Wash the tin and dry and spray ready for next lot of batter.   Do this immediately and follow the same process of sitting on top of Varoma.

I made 12 rice disks,  and would think that, cut into noddles,  1 disk would make 1 serve.
In the photo I have cut some thin and some thick.  I understand they will keep for 2 days in fridge,  and can be frozen.
It is important to have a very flat base to the tin in which you steam the noodles.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:23:31 pm by achookwoman »

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:09 pm »
They look AMAZING achookwoman!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D Can't wait to give these a try
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »
crikey chookie!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 03:08:11 pm »
Well done Chookie, I knew you could do it - aren't we all lucky that you love experimenting with food.