Author Topic: Recipe Review. Chicken Rendang For Food's Sake p101  (Read 20703 times)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review. Chicken Rendang For Food's Sake p101
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:32 am »
Might be better to have a second bowl to put the fat in rather than pour down the sink. It can clog up your pipes and make a real mess.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 03:59:52 am »
Sorry Tenina but I did fiddle with this recipe quite a lot but it was so delicious and tender and we both loved it.

Used the marylands but skinned them and removed every piece of fat I could find (there's usually a teaspoonful tucked away in the thigh end as well as all else that is visible).

Only used 25g of oil but would reduce this by half again next time as I still had to place a kitchen towel over the sauce at the end to soak up some of the fat.

No lime leaves so used the bottled variety, no fresh turmeric so used 1 tsp powered as other girls have done, no coconut cream so I used light coconut milk and no lemon grass so used 1 tblspn of the bottled variety.  I only used 1 cinnamon stick and next time I will halve the quantity of cardamom pods too as I forgot I am not keen on that taste.

I cooked them a lot less too -  45 minutes, removed the alfoil and cooked a further 20 minutes at the higher temperature and there was a certain amount of browning happening there, even without the skin.

I then strained the sauce back into the TM bowl (this is when I did the trick with the paper towel to soak up any excess floating oil)  and thickened it with 1 heaped tspn cornflour.

This is certainly a winner with the way I cooked it for us and I find reading through everyone's reviews is such a help when it comes to trying a dish for yourself.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:01:31 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:23 am »
Looks lovely Judy and lovely and golden even without the skin!

Earlier I removed the skin off a whole uncooked chicken as I didn't want all that fat in the meal I'm making.  I placed the removed skin into a dish and cooked it in my Easy Cook oven until crispy in order to make more of the chicken stock powder.  The amount of oil that came off it was amazing  :o

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 06:46:41 am »
Thanks Julie, it was always the way I was going to cook it as I don't casserole chicken with skin on.  We have watched our fat intake for so long now that it would make us quite ill to eat it with all that fat.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 06:23:56 am »
That's a great idea JulieO.

Judy we're the same with the fat. In fact as  much as I loved the Indian food in Singapore it gave me heartburn one night from all the fat.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 04:42:42 am »
YUMMO.  ;D I pretty much followed the recipe for this but used thighs with the skin on and bone in as I could not get marylands at the time.  The sauce easily took 8 thighs so it was an economical and yummy meal with plain rice and some steamed beans to cut through the richness/fat.  Was great for dinner with friends as I could pre-do it and just let it cook away happily.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »
Hi all,

I've got this dish planned for later in the week but hubby came home from shopping with skinless and boneless Chicken Marylands.  Does anyone know how much I'd need to adjust the cooking time to allow for the meat being boneless?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »
I cut my times down from the recipe with the bone in asha  - from a total of 2 hours down to a total of 65 minutes ie 45 minutes, removed the alfoil and cooked a further 20 minutes at the higher temperature and there was a certain amount of browning happening there, even without the skin.  You could get away with these times or 5-10 minutes less for the cut of chicken you have.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:27 pm »
This is one of my favourites from the book.

I did post a review somewhere else with a photo but ithas long gone out of my mind where.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 12:08:51 am »
Found it.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 12:09:04 am »
Yes we think this is a good one and I have made 2 dishes at once and frozen one for later. From memory the coconut cream did split a little, but it didn't make it taste any different.
I have used chicken thighs, both no bone and no skin and also bone in and no skin. Bit too much chicken fat for us.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:25 am »
And another. It really is a great recipe.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 02:31:58 am »
Almost identical. The only difference is the dish. (slightly)  I love that about Tenina's recipes. Yours look the same.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 11:56:18 am »
Thanks for the advice. I ended up doing it for about 1 hour 10 covered and then 25 minutes uncovered.  Unfortunately our oven is so efficient that the sauce had all solidified into a crispy mass around the chicken so there was no liquid left.  It did taste very nice though so I'll definitely try it again but with the oven temperature down a bit lower next time.

Offline alioc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 12:44:03 pm »
I made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious. I think next time I'll add a little more salt and maybe a chilli or two in the curry paste. Hubs hates chicken skin, so I used chicken thighs instead, and also coconut milk instead of coconut cream and forgot the water! Otherwise, strictly to the recipe.

I also didn't wash out the TM bowl after making the paste, and then filled it with water to make the rice and steam the veggies on top. I got every last bit of the paste that way.

Was anyone else's green? It looks very brown in the book and in other's photos, but mine was pale green... No problem, just not what I was expecting! It could have stayed in the oven a bit longer, but it smelled good and we were HUNGRY!

Yum... definitely will be repeated on days when I'm at home and have time to watch the oven.