Author Topic: Craisin Relish  (Read 13001 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Craisin Relish
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 07:22:16 am »
Well, you learn something every day.  Good one Chookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 07:15:52 am »
The microwave manufacturers actually recommend you use some aluminium foil on parts of poultry -wings/legs that might over cook during microwaving - so yes, some metal is OK.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:36:48 am »
I once had a book on canning in the microwave. I did make a few things, but I find the water bath method easier and only can cooked food.

I sterilise my jars in the oven. Rinse them, tip upside down onto oven tray and heat on 150 or so for 10 minutes or until dry. Remove with oven gloves and place on to newspaper to fill.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 03:32:18 am »
I sterilise my jars in the microwave .   Put about 1 cm. of water in the jar, place metal lid on jar , give lid a  1/2 twist (so not tightly closed). and microwave for 2 mins, or until the water boils.Carefully remove from oven and tip water out.   Several jars can be done at the same time.     I also preserve fruit in the Microwave using the same method,    Can provide more info. about this if required.

I'd love a bit more info Chookie if possible. It sounds like a very interesting method.  :)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:35 am »
I once had a book on canning in the microwave. I did make a few things, but I find the water bath method easier and only can cooked food.

I sterilise my jars in the oven. Rinse them, tip upside down onto oven tray and heat on 150 or so for 10 minutes or until dry. Remove with oven gloves and place on to newspaper to fill.
That's how I do mine too Meganjane - in the oven while jam or chutney is cooking. The bottle tops also still work (top stucks in) even if you forget to turn them upside down.  ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 07:16:27 am »
Just back from Tassie,   will post instructions on fruit bottling when i have a moment, Chelsea.    Very good for this time of the year as you can do 1 or 2 bottles at a time,   and it takes the pressure of the freezer.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:59 pm »
I use the dishwasher to sterilize jars and that seems to work fine for me - I'm really quite lazy so it means minimal effort! ;D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com