Author Topic: Craisin Relish  (Read 12999 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Craisin Relish
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:21:26 am »
Just perfect to go with either ham or turkey at Christmas time!
I've adapted this from a very boring recipe to make it a bit more special.

1/2 medium red onion
2 red apples, roughly chopped and cored

1 pkt (270g) Craisins (dried cranberries)
200ml Apple Cider Vinegar
55g caster sugar
1 Tbs lime or lemon juice
Juice and zested rind of 1 orange
1 tsp cinnamon
s & p to taste

Chop onion and apple on speed 4 for a couple of seconds. Add everything else to  *: and cook on 100, speed 2-3 for 10 - 15 minutes until soft and thick. Check to see if mixture needs a little bit more liquid. I added about 2 Tbsp water.
Spoon into jars and place lid on. Tip jar upside down until cool to seal. Should keep for many months in the pantry.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Craisin Relish
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:19:18 am »
Tip jar upside down until cool to seal. Should keep for many months in the pantry.

Does that work for any relish, jam, sauce?  Instead of the hot water bath method?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:36:13 am »
Relish and Sauce that have vinegar in should keep well when you use the upside down method. Jam too. My sister swears by it and she makes litres and litres of jams, chutneys, sauces and relishes!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:48 am »
I'll have to try it - soooo much easier!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:24:06 am »
I also use the upside down method.   It mostly works.    Some jars allow the contents to seep out when tightened and turned upside down.   I use jars that have that little white rubber ring in the lid.  Maggie Beer also uses this method,   she doesn't sterilize the jars.   I sterilize mine in the microwave.
Relish and Sauce that have vinegar in should keep well when you use the upside down method. Jam too. My sister swears by it and she makes litres and litres of jams, chutneys, sauces and relishes!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:49 am »
Sorry,  but meant to say this looks good and will certainly try it ( I got a bit carried away with the "jar " post  )  .Meganjane.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:26:50 am »
Was watching Nigella make some sort of relish the other night and she sterilizes her jars just by washing them in the dishwasher.  I always wondered if this was an option as it is the easiest one of the lot.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:32:34 am »
Yes I read recently that you can use your dishwasher to sterilise jars etc.  I think you just have to have it on a really hot setting.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »
Thanks for the upside down hint, I wasn't aware of it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:25:34 pm »
Great converted recipe MJ.  I have used the upside down method and think part of the deal is that the heat of the mix is so much higher than what you would get with washing and drying that no bug would survive.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:20:02 am »
Thanks for all these jarring tips.  Now to try and find where they're hiding when I forget and go looking....

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:59:57 am »
Yes I read recently that you can use your dishwasher to sterilise jars etc.  I think you just have to have it on a really hot setting.  :)

My dishwasher actually has a cycle just for sterilising jars, babies bottles, breadboards etc.  Would be good if I had a lot to sterilise in one go.  I usually use the Milton brand sterilising tablets for the few I need to do at any one time.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 03:29:11 am »
I sterilise my jars in the microwave .   Put about 1 cm. of water in the jar, place metal lid on jar , give lid a  1/2 twist (so not tightly closed). and microwave for 2 mins, or until the water boils.Carefully remove from oven and tip water out.   Several jars can be done at the same time.     I also preserve fruit in the Microwave using the same method,    Can provide more info. about this if required.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:13:40 am »
Metal in the microwave?  Thought that was a no-no.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:52 am »
Metal in the microwave?  Thought that was a no-no.
      Yes so did I.     I think it has something to do with the ratio of other substances to the metal ,  but it doesn't arc.