Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 12957 times)

Offline agpest

• View Profile
New to Forum
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:35:13 am »
Hi. I am not sure I am posting  this correctly.  I have never taken part in a forum like this.
I have had my Thermomix for a week, had to order it from Canada as I live in Tucson Az USA. My husband sent me the article that ran in the Wall Street Journal & I asked him when he was going to get me one & he laughed. About a week later my 25 yr old food processor broke. I was looking on line to see what Consumers Reports recommended as a replacement when he asked what I was doing. After I told him he said why don't you just get a Thermomix, so I did! But it  was not easy I filled out forms on three sites before some one contacted me. Eventually all three answered but it took two weeks to get it  from the time I started. I made Mango ice cream from the Canadian Foodie website (her recipe is for raspberry). For my husband I think the mango ice cream justified the price of the Thermomix. (He grew up in India.) I made the Hungarian goulash ( I have the Australian Cook book) but not knowing what tomato concentrate is I used tomato paste, it was good but a little too much tomato flavor. Can some one tell me what tomato concentrate is?  I made the Torta Caprese it was very good and the first time I have made a cake where mine looked as good as the picture in the book. I successfully made my usual spaghetti sauce in the Thermomix. I make a lot of Indian food so I plan to adapt the recipes to the Thermomix which may be easier than figuring out how to properly post.
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:48:21 am »
welcome and congrats for being so brave as to join us!

can't wait til you convert and post some of your indian recipes, i LOVE indian food!!!

as far as i know tom conc = tom paste but will wait to see what others say ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Mandi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:43:17 am »
Welcome,

I'm new too, I live in Tasmania, Australia. Wow what an ordeal you have to go through to get a TMX when you live in the US. Glad it has all worked out for you. You won't look back once you get started with your TMX you'll become addicted!! I'm still saving for mine, but have been very fortunate & borrowed a friends. I too look forward to trying some Indian.

Mandi

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:01:19 am »
I made the Hungarian goulash ( I have the Australian Cook book) but not knowing what tomato concentrate is I used tomato paste, it was good but a little too much tomato flavor. Can some one tell me what tomato concentrate is? 

Hi Gayle, welcome to the forum.  Tomato concentrate and tomato paste are one and the same so if it was too strong, just cut back to half perhaps.  My favourite goulash recipe (which I have yet to convert) doesn't use any at all so I think you could quite easily just put a tablespoon of paste in the recipe book one. Don't be afraid of this forum or your ability to do postings - I would have been the worst computer literate person there was 12 months ago but now know enough to get by.  Not clever like some of our members though.   Have fun with your TMX - what have you named it?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:55 am »
Welcome Gayle - greta to have another enthusiastic user in the US.  Don't worry about computer literacy here.  There are some who appear to know what to do with all the techo stuff, but most of us just bumble along.  Food is what we know about.

How many rocks did you have to put in the old food processor to trash it ???  ;)  Fortunatley my wife bought me one, otherwise I'd still be procrastinating, but now she regrets the time I spend with my Bimby and the Bimbettes here.

Look forward to some Indian dishes, like brazen20au (Karen), I love Indian food.  Do you have Indian recipe books that are your staples?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:52:34 pm »
Hi Gayle,
     Nice to meet you.  All of a sudden the US team is growing quickly :)  There's about 5 of us here now.  GO TEAM!!!!

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:05:29 pm »
Fortunatley my wife bought me one, otherwise I'd still be procrastinating, but now she regrets the time I spend with my Bimby and the Bimbettes here.

In the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan Thermomixer "You're dreaming"!!! Bimbettes indeed.......(as she does a Miss Piggy toss of the hair & throws her snout in the air)

Welcome Gayle & Mandi - the animal reference is not due to the recent flu quasi pandemic but Thermomixers life away from the Bimby.....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:37:00 am by Thermomixer »

Offline agpest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:59:16 pm »
I haven't given it a name just had not thought of it. But there is a holiday in India where they decorate the objects that make there lives better with flowers I will have to find out when it is and get a bouquet.
I have an old Time-Life cookbook on India that has very authentic recipes in it. I don't think it is available anymore it 30+ years  old. Either today or tomorrow I will make a yoghurt based chicken curry. Then I have 2 Parsi cook books published in India. Over the years I have developed a masla that can be made in large quantities and frozen so you don't have to grind it every time it should be a snap (maybe I should call it Snappy) in the Thermomix and there are at least three recipes I make with it.
I really didn't break the old food processor on purpose but I would have if I known it was going to get me a Thermomix.
It was a 30 year old Black & Decker I had the grating plate in it and dropped cubed Cheddar cheese down the chute a chunk got stuck between the plate & the top and cracked  the small piece of plastic that locked the lid on. But it worked as well as rocks and looks much better if you need to break one.
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:05:39 am »
Hi Agpest!

Great to know that my hubby is not the only one who reads WSJ and thinks Wow! Kitchen appliances are sooo cool.  :D

Seriously though, he is using it almost as much as me. He found out he really likes smoothies. He had dental surgery this week and the dentist told him to have only cold foods-- good excuse for a milkshake. And I made oatmeal this weekend (a rare treat for me as GF oats are as expensive relative to regular oats as the Thermomix is to a food processor). Anyway, he loved it and now knows there is life after slushies.

How many US members are there now? Everybody converting to metric... it's a movement.
Aunt Annie

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:08:56 am »
Welcome Gayle - it's good to see the US numbers coming up and Warren needs the company!!
Be careful with the Australian cookbook - it has some flaws, so be sure to check the thread here!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline agpest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:11 am »
Thanks,

So far the only flaws have been with myself. Although the chili con carne recipe looked a little odd, but I grew up in Texas so even a lot American cook book have odd looking chili recipes.(Texans don't add the con carne because there is no other kind) I did inspire me to try the real thing in the Thermomix tonight. One thing I really like about the Thermomix is it does not heat the kitchen as much as the gas stove and is not affected by the ceiling fan like a flame is. Even though we are running 5 to 10 degrees below the usual June the high today reached 95F (37C) it is still warm. Usually in the summer I fix a salad grill something and never turn the oven on. 
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:15:04 am »
Welcome Gayle......Enjoy!!!!

Trudy

Offline LynnInColorado

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 05:33:28 am »
Hello from a native Tucsonan living in Colorado.  I also learned about Thermomix through the WSJ article, but I didn't see it until a few weeks ago.  So far I've unpacked my Thermomix, washed it and admired it.  I may just make the guacamole recipe you posted as my first try.  Quite a leap from using the traditional molcajete as they do at a great Mexican restaurant here!  http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_rmgm.htm 

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 05:42:13 am »
Hello from a native Tucsonan living in Colorado.  I also learned about Thermomix through the WSJ article, but I didn't see it until a few weeks ago.  So far I've unpacked my Thermomix, washed it and admired it.  I may just make the guacamole recipe you posted as my first try.  Quite a leap from using the traditional molcajete as they do at a great Mexican restaurant here!  http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_rmgm.htm 
In Australia our molcajete is called a mortar & pestle for anyone interested.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline LynnInColorado

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 05:55:12 am »
Right, but these are used in Mexico and are made from rough lava stone.