Author Topic: Garlicky Chicken for Varoma  (Read 7586 times)

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
Garlicky Chicken for Varoma
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
Name of Recipe: Garlicky Chicken adapted from recipe by Regan Burns  
Number of People: 4 serves
Ingredients:

For garlic paste
1 head (about 20 cloves) garlic peeled
1 Tbl fresh thyme
½ tea salt
2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
Place garlic in bowl and chop speed 7, time 4 – 8 seconds. Scrape down the bowl. Add oil and thyme. Pulse speed 10 for 4 seconds. Remove from bowl but do not clean bowl.

For Chicken and garlic sauce
1 whole chicken no 16
2 heads of garlic, one whole and the other separated but left unpeeled
Extra-virgin olive oil for oiling chicken etc.
10 sprigs of fresh thyme
½ lemon cut into 4 wedges
1 stalk celery cut into 5 cm pieces
60 ml white wine
750 ml water
2 Tbl TM stock concentrate
Loaf of crusty bread home made of course.

Preparation:

Remove neck from chicken and the first two joints of the wings. Set aside.
Loosen the skin on the breast, legs and thighs of chicken. Distribute the garlic paste into the area under the skin.
Cut the top off the whole garlic, salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Place in the chicken cavity with 5 sprigs of thyme. Tie legs together, careful to not make the bird too high for the varoma.  Oil the skin of the bird and salt liberally.
Place the remaining thyme in the bottom of the varoma, place the bird on these, breast up. Put lemon and the unpeeled garlic around the bird.
In the bowl put the neck and wing pieces, wine, water, celery and stock. Set for temp varoma, speed slow, time 45 min.
Put varoma in place. If necessary place a small weight (I use my salt jar) on lid to hold it firm.
After 45 min test for done (temp 66C) If needed cook for a further 10 min.
Remove chicken to a cutting board to rest. Add all the ingredients from the varoma to the bowl set temp varoma, time 5 min speed 1. When reduced strain and reserve the garlic cloves.
While sauce reduces cut 4 to 8 thick slices of crusty bread. Coat one side with garlic infused olive oil. Place under griller to toast.  Garlic infused oil can be made and kept by storing garlic cloves in a jar of extra-virgin olive oil or just crush 2-3 cloves in a small quantity (1/2 cup) of oil for this use.

To serve; either place the toast in a shallow bowl, top with a piece of chicken, pour some sauce over the top and garnish with several cooked garlic cloves. Or; serve chicken on plates with toast on the side.

Tips/Hints:

Goes well with a simple salad or steamed summer veggies.
Re the amount of garlic - the taste was not overpowering at all.

members' comments

Thermomixer - You can push down hard on the chicken's breastbone and break its ribs to help fit it into the Varoma.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:44:59 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: GARLICKY CHICKEN for Varoma Adapted from recipe by Regan Burns
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:23:14 am »
Good work -= sounds VERY garlicky - but that's good for me.

You can push down hard on the chicken's breastbone and break its ribs to help fit it into the Varoma.

Thanks.  Wish I'd seen this about 4 hours ago.  Decided to be lazy and dashed home to put a Glenloth corn-fed chicken, that we bought on the weekend, in the slowcooker as I had to come back to work.  Could have had this tomorrow and snags tonight.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »
Wow.  We love garlic but I don't know if we could cope with 3 whole heads.  I guess they can vary a great deal in size though.  Perhaps this recipe calls for smaller heads?  :)

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:30 am »
Chelsea  Re the size of the heads, they were just normal. I just weighed one and it is 43grams. I know what you mean about it sounding like a lot but I was pleasently surprised, the taste was not overpowering at all.

Thermomixer thanks for the tip on breaking the breast bone. I'll try that next time.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »
Sounds similar to the recipe known as 'Chicken with 20 cloves of Garlic', or some such thing. But, the garlic is slow cooked, so is very mild and sweet.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:11:12 am »
Yes the garlic is surprisingly good. The recipe from which I did the adaption was also called garlicky chicken and there is lots more than 20 cloves in it  ;D

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:12:53 am »
Garlic chicken in Varoma is a must to try in our household. Thank you.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:44:30 am »
Why have I not seen this before??  This is definitely on the to do list . . . right at the top if it!! ;D ;D