Author Topic: Almond pulp tips?  (Read 6302 times)

Offline nekhbet

• View Profile
Almond pulp tips?
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
I've recently discovered how wonderful almond milk is (woot), but I'm a bit lost with what to do with my leftover almond pulp. I've heard that I can dry it out, then put it back in the TM to make almond flour, but I use the recipe from the "a taste of vegetarian" cookbook, which has dates and vanilla essence in it. So I assume that is out.

I've heard to put it in chunks in the oven to make a muesli ingredient/topping. All that hsppened to mine is that it burned on the top peaks and remained soft.

All the recipes I find out there seem to be more for the vegan/raw foodie crowd, and much as I like the idea, I find it not to my taste. 

I don't have a dehydrator.

Can I use it as almond flour and just reduce the wet ingredients. If so, how much by?  Any other ideas for using the rest?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Almond pulp tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »
I found this website that's dedicated to almond pulp. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:22:26 pm »
I dry it in the oven but you have to keep the heat quite low and stir the stuff often - every 15 minutes or so.

Once dried, store it in the freezer because it will become rancid more rapidly than the whole nuts. 

You can add it to any baked goods, to smoothies and mixed with crumbs for topping casseroles, etc., and mixed with cinnamon/sugar, butter to make a crumb topping.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:51:33 am »
Yes, I'm wondering the same as I'm making Almond Cashew Milk. I thought I'd use it in a bread, but it's hard to know how much flour and liquid to sub out for it.

I found a nice recipe for almond bread that I'll try. I'll let you know how it turns out.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:52 am »
Coconut flour recipes might just work.  Adjust the liquid. 

MJ,  with the bread ,  do it by touch. Knead a bit,  say 1 min. and then feel the dough through the hole and add more flour or liquid as needs be.  Probably wouldn't add more than 100g.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »
Thanks Chookie, I'll give it a go and report back
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
I keep it in the freezer, after drying it as I described above.  Once frozen, I break it up so it is about the same texture as ground flax seed or oat bran.
I add a scoop to any grain dish, any rice other than white (looks odd in the white stuff) any bean dish, cooked cereals, baked goods (except for sponge or angel food cakes).

It adds fiber and as it is a "soluble" fiber - like oat bran or flax, it is yet another way to add fiber to the diet and lower cholesterol.

The container I keep it in is a 2 liter Cambro container and I can go through that amount in about a month, sometimes less, if I am baking a lot. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/