Author Topic: The Happy Thread  (Read 1030177 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: The Happy Thread
« Reply #2595 on: March 10, 2013, 11:50:39 pm »
I am happy because Amy started a new job.

I am happy because both my old old doggies are still plodding along.

I am happy today because I have a Boot full of stuff for the Sallies. After spending a week in Adelaide at a dear friend's mother's house I decided I wanted to live my life free of unnecessary clutter, not own anything I did not actually use or value. I definitely don't want to be surrounded by '"STUFF"!

My children want for nothing and happily live their lives clutter free which gives me the freedom of not having to  keep things "in case of".

A couple of weeks ago I sold a lot of furniture I didn't use and now have taken it further and emptied  drawer after drawer  of clothes I will never wear again or have excess to requirements. I don't need 30 pair of dodgy undies or bras maybe A wee bit too tight, loose, or slightly frayed. Who needs 20 scarves in Cairns.  Of the 20 or so sarongs I wear only 5.  And so they went with a  a trunk load of other stuff.

For me there is no point in keeping things for "best". These are the best years and I deserve to use my best everyday. Out go chipped anything. Odd cutlery and any serving dish I have not used in the past two years.

Another thing  learned in Adelaide is that a toast rack is a good thing.  I may have to go shopping.

I feel lighter and unburdened of  the thoughts that after my demise no one will say "why on earth did she still have this?"

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: March 11, 2013, 12:01:03 am »
Well done Gert! Sounds like you've been very industrious ;D

mcmich

« Reply #2597 on: March 11, 2013, 12:24:29 am »
I am happy today because I have a Boot full of stuff for the Sallies. After spending a week in Adelaide at a dear friend's mother's house I decided I wanted to live my life free of unnecessary clutter, not own anything I did not actually use or value. I definitely don't want to be surrounded by '"STUFF"!

For me there is no point in keeping things for "best". These are the best years and I deserve to use my best everyday. Out go chipped anything. Odd cutlery and any serving dish I have not used in the past two years.

Another thing  learned in Adelaide is that a toast rack is a good thing.  I may have to go shopping.

I feel lighter and unburdened of  the thoughts that after my demise no one will say "why on earth did she still have this?"

Gert

I love this Gert. I have said before that I am embarrassed by the excess I have.

You have inspired me to have another look at the second bedroom in the granny flat - it is wall to wall boxes and stuff????

I have never kept anything for best - when DD turned 7yrs old she had an afternoon tea party with my Royal Albert Old Country Roses dinner set.
I'm so glad I did this as it was the last time the girls came in party dresses, hair braided, patent leather shoes and Lacy patterned socks. It's so hard to keep the little in your girl these days.

Just 1 thing Gert, what is so good about a toast rack?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:30:21 am by mcmich »

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: March 11, 2013, 12:38:03 am »
Gert - I have to second everything that Mich has said . . .thanks for that  . ."push"  . . needed very much here atm!

Mich - toast rack - I have two of them and I keep the lids of my lock n lock/glass lock contains in them - keep them upright and in order so I can see them.  Might have to get another one for toast sometime though ;)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: March 11, 2013, 12:38:34 am »
I so love that Gert. :)

Why do we keep Stuff that we don't like, want or need, just to have people fight over it, or sell it, or throw it away later on.

Thank you Gert. I try and keep things minimalistic too.
Declutter is a good word..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:51 am »
Well when . I saw how my dear old 92 year old lived with so much stuff she can hardly move in her little house I was in despair. I thought that soon she may need a walker or heaven help us a wheelchair to get around and it would be impossible to keep her in her own house.  I bumped Into to furniture and things fell out of cupboards and what for?  it is all a hazard and a maze. She has lots of children and grandchildren and 26 great grandchildren who will fight over the stuff no doubt. There was not a surface free to put a cup of tea down.

I just loved that she set a place for every meal for herself including  a bread and butter plate with and extra knife for buttering the toast from the rack .  It was delightful and civilised.  Every electrical everything was unplugged when not in use including the microwave.  She is frugal with most things but eats very well and often.  She looks after a large garden and keeps busy.

My next task is to dispose of all the photographs and albums I have not looked at in years and  are of no interest to my children. Why would ny kids want to see old photos of my parent's  families? They are in the laundry cupboard  which should contain just about nothing but laundry stuff.  I might even toss the iron out if I can find it!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: March 11, 2013, 01:16:44 am »
Gert, you have prompted me to start decluttering again, however I still have a very old toast rack that belonged to my great grandma

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:09 am »
When you go to a place like that Gretchen, it certainly does make you wonder why people are such hoarders.  What amazes me is that when these people who don't have room to put a cup of coffee on the kitchen table for visitors go into other homes which are tidy and uncluttered, why are they not inspired to go home and do the same to their place.  It sounds as if you have had a great tidy up, is DH still there and not pack in the sallies box too  ;)

I have a toast rack that was given to my grand-parents from the army as a wedding present. There must be plenty just like this around but I have never seen another one in any antique shop I've ever been in - maybe everyone is holding onto theirs.  I used to use it but DH was horrified as he knows me well and thought it should be kept in the cupboard to just look at if I want to pass it down  :-))  Must say I don't really need to use one as breakfast in this house is a very casual, quick meal and I am the only one who has toast for breakfast.  Maybe I can bring it out when CC comes to stay.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #2603 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:36 am »
Maree, that is a beautiful toast rack with the little squirrel on top.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: March 11, 2013, 02:08:09 am »
Congratulations Amy  :)

Well done Gert we all have too much stuff  ;D

mcmich

« Reply #2605 on: March 11, 2013, 02:13:02 am »
I think that would be a lovely idea to have a toast rack out for  breakfast when CC comes to stay.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: March 11, 2013, 02:42:20 am »
Well done Gert. You have inspired me to declutter too. Wonder if the boys will let me start in their rooms first? ;)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:02 am »
Just do it Kimmy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: March 11, 2013, 02:58:26 am »
:) :) :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: March 11, 2013, 05:25:23 am »
Here is my 50 cent sallies  find this morning. Nothing like the  other beautiful and desirable toast racks.

Gert