Author Topic: Still doing all the reasearch......  (Read 10836 times)

Offline shanmac

• View Profile
Still doing all the reasearch......
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:14:31 am »
H Everyone

I promise I will make a decision soon - well I have still to convince DH. Just wondering as an approximate how much money do people think they have saved on groceries since TMX came into there lives? Just another pro I need to present to weight up against the very weighted con (purchase price)?
Shannon, Bendigo Victoria - mum of 4

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Still doing all the reasearch......
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:36:44 am »
With my family of four (including 2 little tots) we saved about $35 per week (before we started buying organic food). I cooked quite a bit from scratch though even before buying the TM and was always very budget conscious. I think larger families or families that buy a lot of packaged foods may save up to $70-80 per week. Thermomix recipes often use less meat and more veg which saves oodles each week. :)

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 05:41:05 am »
Hi Shanmac,

This is so interesting.  Ed and I (DH) were having this conversation in the car as we were driving to sign me up as a consultant!

Take bread for example.  Here in Germany, it is normal to purchase fresh rolls on a Sunday and eat them for a leisurely breakfast and then perhaps over following day or so.  Say 4 euros per week just there.  As supplies are relatively inexpensive, we worked out that for perhaps 40c, we could make the same thing and save the cost of the petrol driving there.

Multiply 4 euros x 52 weeks = 208 euros saved.  And this is just in bread alone...

The cost of the machine here is 985 euros - 208 euros (for the bread) = 777 euros left over! Of course we would made bread again at least one more time over the course of the week, which would save some more money.

Cooking in quantities saves too.  Ed and I are just two.  But if we cook for 4, we have two "free" lunches.  Most meat, in particular chicken here, is freshly prepacked, into perhaps 4 portions rather than two.

Ed and I have also made a massive saving on takeaway.  Now don't get me wrong, we only did it once a week!  There is a lovely pizza restaurant (not Pizza Hut!!!) not far from us and for about 20 euros, they would deliver two large pizzas.

Using leftovers in the fridge, cooked chicken, vegetables etc, I can have a pizza in the oven and on the table in about the same time as it would take to dial the number and wait for the delivery.  Add the cost of making the base and all the bits, it might cost 3 euros, not even!  Another massive saving of 17 euros per week.  Whether it be pizza or going out somewhere cheap and cheerful.

17 euros x 52= 884 euros!!!

So 884 + 208 = 1092 euros.  I have paid for the machine AND few cookbooks!!!! Our food intake is far more healthy and I am having fun doing it too! If you my examples to ACTUAL prices in Australia, I wonder what the result might be.  I haven't lived in AUS for nearly two years and I am not so familiar with the prices of bread and pizza anymore but I bet you would be surprised!

Show this post to your DH.  Ed resisted for a while (ask anyone on here!!!) But I got a TMX and now Ed wont look back.  He loves it.  I love it.  Get one, now!!!!

xxx

;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:05 am »
Hi Shanmac

We have never been a take away family, always done my  own pizza and base etc. So yiu woukd think that my savings are minimal.

Absolutely not, about $100 per week if I menu plan. I used to ask  "what do tyou want  for dinner" now i say what type of soup, mince meat dish etc shall we have on our menu plan.

I have been slack lately and not stuck to it, but if write up a good menu plan about $100 a week saving.

Hope this helps

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:49:03 am »
Hands down you will save money every time you switch the machine on. I made my own butter yesterday. Lurpak my fave brand is £1.60/250gr for solid butter  and £2.98 for a 500gr of spreadable.
For just £1.60 I made nearly 600 gr of solid butter and if I was to make half of it spreadable and add a bit of olive oil to it I would have even more of it. And it took 4 minutes to make, AND the most important thing the flavour....divine
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:45 am »
I have a family of 7, and we save a good $100 f/night at the big supermarket and probably another $100 f/night at our small supermarket. So thats $200 a f/night x 26 = $5200 per year (2.6 thermomixes)
Thats just from making things my self rather than pre packaged and preprepared things, and we also use less meat and more veggies. I have only had my TM for 8 months and have probably already paid for my TM in savings  ;D.
You probably wouldn't see any savings in the first couple of months as we all seem to by more ingredients that we don't already have so as to make all these wonderful recipes.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:02:16 pm »
Well it all depends of your lifestyle...  Our grocery bill hasn't changed as I was cooking from scratch before TMX and I use a lot of home grown products.  On the saving side, if time is money, then I've saved money on some dishes (still think most meat dishes are more flavoursome using traditional methods)- just being honest  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:12 pm »
You can save a fortune by making your own stock paste.I found this article that breaks down the cost,I know it's from Canada but it will be very similar costings.
http://weirdwildandwonderful.blogspot.com/2011/02/thermomix-experiment-6-chicken-and.html

Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »
Shanmack, I have a huge family saving every week. I no longer buy any processed foods, no frozen foods, no packets or pots or jars of anything at all. Once you get the hang of it you will have no waste either. You can freeze your fruit that has overripened to make desserts/juices/ice-creams. Your vegetable box will be made into homemade sauces/soups and your freezer will be full of exciting and inviting dishes, that your family will love you for it. I can't live without mine and even take Tmx camping with me! I honestly couldnt live without mine, and I was only just discussing with my DH last week, that should anything ever happen to my dear TMX  :o :o :o I would immediately go straight out and buy another one! And DH actually agreed! Remembering the fact that 3 years ago, it took me a month of pleading DH every day to let me have one! :o :o :o :o :o I actually have 2 jugs and can assure you that they are both in use constantly. And my children (and their friends!) also appreciate me having one!
Apart from being healthier for you and your loved ones, whilst TMX is making dinner/lunch you can be doing something else. For example, you have ten minutes to bath the kids, 7 minutes to hang out the washing etc etc with the guarantee that nothing will ever get overcooked or burnt.
I cook for a family of 5, but with another 6 or 7 of my kids friends too who also love inviting themselves for afternoon waffles/ice-creams/pizzas etc and I can honestly say that my weekly saving is 40 euros a week (Living in the South of Spain)
If you have any other doubts just let us know, if you finally decide....you certainly will NOT regret!
Amanda

Spain

Offline KylieJade

• View Profile
    • Embrace Better Health
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 12:05:39 am »
For me, as I already pretty much cooked from scratch the savings are minimal, that is unless I count my time in dollars... which I do! So I save probably ½ -1 hour every day... for me that equates to around $350-$400 in time=$.

I am also eating a greater variety of dishes as cooking from scratch without the TM is quite an ordeal and I only made 5-6 favourites over and over! Now I whip up all sorts!

Take your hubby to a demo if you haven't already...

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:28:42 am »
Hi Shanmac

Another great reason to buy the tm, you have more soare time.

I am not cooking food this week as our freezers are full, so more quality time for you and dh ;D
Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:42 am »
Our saving is in Gas.  We are on bottled gas.  Before TMX,  we would buy a new bottle every 5/6 weeks @ $100 a time.  Since TMX we buy a bottle every 10/12 weeks.  We are saving about $500 a year,  and our Electricity has not increased very much.  Food? It is difficult for me to say, but probably saving about $50 a week.  Probably because we use more up and don't throw as much out or to the chooks.  I do the sums on what it costs to cook most things,  not because I have to but because I like to.  If you look at many of my recipes I say how much it has cost to make or how much a serve.  As Lee said,  Bread is a good example,  Most loaves or 8 rolls cost about $1.  Butter is not much cheaper,  even with cream at $2.30 for 600mls.  but the Buttermilk is the bonus.  There are many examples ,  these are just a few.  Good luck,  yes take him to a Demo.

Bonsai

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:23:05 pm »
Thermomix is much more expensive to buy in Australia than Germany - Lee paid just over $1300 AUD so bargain!!!  I agree regarding savings - DH does most shoppng and is a terror for getting things which 'looked interesting' ($), but even so we do save on a lot of things we now make at home such as bread, yogurt, marmalade, pizza, coconut milk/cream, butter, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, spicy sauce.....

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 01:40:19 pm »
for my family on bread only ,the savings would be $1092 a year
ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Therminator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:36:01 pm »
Yes, price for me was the speedhump.  I had heard about a TMX and had not seen one perform in all its glory.  After four months of having a "Thermie" in my life, I can honestly say, worth every cent, and then some.

The minimum hourly wage in Australia is about $15.00, is my time worth more than that - YES.  So, if you spend an hour a day cooking meals at the VERY LEAST, multiplied by 5 times a week, at the VERY LEAST, that is $300 a month. 

Cooking beautiful fresh, tasty, healthy and creative food is effortless and fun. 

Not sure if there's NIKE copyright compromised here...... "Just Do It".