Author Topic: Queen of Puddings  (Read 47971 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Queen of Puddings
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 02:11:06 am »
Good work indeed Chookie.  Was it a couple of days?  How hard was it to find accommodation?  MrsT wants to go as we met Rodney D a few years ago and when she saw the cooking school advertised in the Gourmet traveller she was very keen.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:28:23 am »
I would strongly recommend it.  Will probably go again this year,  $275 for the day session.  No more than 8 in the class.  DH who doesn't cook was able to come to lunch and sample what we cooked.  He paid an extra $70 .  Rodney and has wife are very nice people and it was a lovely experience.  We had some problems trying to stay locally.  Think next time would stay in Hobart as it is only about 45 mins by car.  Most of what we cooked and ate was grown/raised locally.  This is what I was interested in,  what could I do in a creative manner with what we grow.  I had also made some of his recipes and liked them.  The 2 day sessions sound good,  as the courses are more than basic.  Look at the web site,  this gives some information.  Some friends who live in Williamstown,  flew down the morning of the course,  and back in the evening.   We spent a few days in Tassie.   Hope this helps.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01:34 am »
Thanks Chookie - I'd fly down and back, but MrsT will want a few days - guess that is probably what we'll do.

Also, I have posted a full size pic of the pud on the previous page and a thumbnail here - I can't post it in your entry on this thread.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 12:15:29 pm »
Thanks again Thermomixer,  tell Mrs T to make sure she has a Saturday in Hobart so she can go to the Salamanca market.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:31 pm »
And come for a cuppa with us at the other end of the state.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:01 am »
I may have to hi-jack the tour and secretly make it a catch up with TMX users and Fee  ;) ;)  - don't tell anyone.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »
a cooking class at The Agrarian Kitchen in Tassie

was just reading an article about this in the latest Good Food magazine. looks like a lovely place to visit
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 04:28:05 am »
That sounds like it would be an excellent trip for my sisters and I. We go away every five years together for two weeks. Last trip was to Vietnam last year. But we've decided to start going local. We all love cooking.

The Queen Pudding that I make uses cake crumbs. I use barely any sugar in the custard.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 08:15:08 am »
MJ,  thanks for the info about the cake crumbs for the Queen of Puds.  I have some orange cake crumbs in the freezer,  do you think I could use them?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:27:51 pm »
Sure thing! I used left over lemon cake. DH didn't see it on the bench in it's container, so it didn't get eaten....
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 08:03:20 am »
Between this recipe and MJ's comment about using cake crumbs I have today made a version I will call Black Forest Queen of Puddings.

25g sugar
10g cocoa
185g milk
65g cream
2 egg yolks

1 cup (100g) ILB's Bimby Chocolate Cake - crumbled

Cook as per Chookies recipe above and whilst cooking, prepare the filling.

1 x 400g can stoned cherries
3 level teaspoons cornflour
Place the juice from the can of cherries into a small saucepan, add some of it to the cornflour and mix that all in.  Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Add the halved cherries and allow to cool whilst the pudding is steaming. You will only need half this quantity so freeze the remainder for another time. No need to add any sugar, the surrounding mixtures are sweet enough.

Top with the meringue - 2 egg whites & 30g castor sugar and bake in a 200o oven for around 5 minutes until golden.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 08:46:45 am »
Wow,  JD this looks soooooooooo good.  I think I will make some of ILB's choc cake so that I can make this.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:29 am »
Be interested to see what you think of it Chookie. I love an easy recipe with variations an option.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 10:26:46 am »
Ohhhh JD - that sounds divine!!!  :P :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:50 am »
It is ILB and I think it was even better when it was cold.   I used up all those bits and pieces of muffins that failed when they stuck to the pans  :-)) :-))  Knew I'd find something to do with them eventually  ;) ;)