Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9025150 times)

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #8685 on: April 28, 2012, 10:58:24 am »
Sorry everyone, nothing to do with thermi, just getting back to grass roots of dad in the army. Bully Beef, mash pot and peas.  Bully Beef for those who don't know is corned beef in a can, which you can still buy (here  in Australia) very fatty though). Fry with some onions, serve on a bed of mash with peas on the side.  Brought back memories of years ago, when we had this as a quick meal  on the odd sat night,  when I was a kid. Just needing to get back to a few grass roots stuff, sorry all, just a bit emotional today after getting rid of some of mum and dads things.    Monica

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
Just wanted to report that the food went down well, plenty of leftovers as I expected.  It turns out the grand-daughter's boyfriend's parents run the restaurant in one of our local taverns - no pressure on me once I found that out  :o :o  He seemed suitably impressed though and was a good eater so I guess I passed the test.

Well done then Judy. All good. Worth the effort.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:17 am »
Sorry everyone, nothing to do with thermi, just getting back to grass roots of dad in the army. Bully Beef, mash pot and peas.  Bully Beef for those who don't know is corned beef in a can, which you can still buy (here  in Australia) very fatty though). Fry with some onions, serve on a bed of mash with peas on the side.  Brought back memories of years ago, when we had this as a quick meal  on the odd sat night,  when I was a kid. Just needing to get back to a few grass roots stuff, sorry all, just a bit emotional today after getting rid of some of mum and dads things.    Monica

Yup that Bully Beef can do that. It is an oldie and a goodie. It is all about the memories. Nothing wrong with a few tears in the mash.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: April 28, 2012, 12:24:55 pm »
Just wanted to report that the food went down well, plenty of leftovers as I expected.  It turns out the grand-daughter's boyfriend's parents run the restaurant in one of our local taverns - no pressure on me once I found that out  :o :o  He seemed suitably impressed though and was a good eater so I guess I passed the test.
Good to hear that lunch ran smoothly JD ;) :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: April 28, 2012, 12:29:04 pm »
you must be tried now JD. sounds like no cooking for u for a few day with all of the leftovers ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: April 28, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »
Do you ever have days where nothing works and you should just WALK AWAY? I had one of those today, but didn't take my own advice  :-[

Yesterday was fine. I made chicken skewers with satay sauce from the forum. I don't bother threading them onto skewers anymore - I've discovered that I can put the veges in the varoma bowl, and the chicken on the tray above. I didn't have any coriander, so I used purple Basil from the garden intead. It was really yummy.
I did discover what happens if you use slightly more than 400g of rice at once- I had 435g in my container, so I decided to cook it all. It rose over the top of the steamer basket and now I have more rice than I know what to do with!

Today I tried Mara's macaroon recipe. Today was a day that the egg whites did not like me. I made one batch, and I felt that the egg whites didn't fluff as much as they usually do. I piped them and they looked OK, but the mixture only made 36, not 50. I put them in the oven and turned the fan off. They just didn't cook. I ended up cooking them for twice as long as the recipe stated. At this point, I should have WALKED AWAY!
Of course, I didn't, and tried to make a chocolate batch this time. I have discovered that the butterfly only works in one of my bowls, so I had to keep washing bowls. This time, the egg white didn't whip up at all. I don't know why. It has never happened to me before. This is the third batch of Macarons I have attempted in my TC, and the third time that they haven't worked. I ended up getting out my old stand mixer to whip up the egg whites. The piped Macarons just spread into each other on the tray and did not puff up,and again they took twice as long to cook.
Gert made macaroons - I made flataroons. I'll say this again, I should have WALKED AWAY!
I thought that if I filled the Macarons, they might taste ok tomorrow. I filled the plain ones with lemon curd that I had in the fridge and I decided to make chocolate ganache to fill the chocolate Macarons. However, I  managed to burn the ganache on the bottom of the TC.
At this point, I did WALK AWAY.

I cooked a beef, prune and rainbow chard casserole for dinner in my pressure cooker. At least this worked.

Tomorrow's another day....
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: April 28, 2012, 05:02:38 pm »
Hi everyone! Nice to see you all about and enjoying your Thermomixes as much as me still!
Just thought I'd pop in and say hello and tell you after celebrating my husbands birthday (50th) :o surprise weekend away in Ibiza, I have attempted making two typical desserts, Flaó which is a baked mint and aniseed cheesecake, and ensaimada. Both an absolute success! Of course, who would expect anything else from our fantastic THX!!!!
A million kisses to all, will try and load the photos for you!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:04:47 pm by bron »
Amanda

Spain

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: April 28, 2012, 05:06:22 pm »
Hi bron
Nice to see you posting.. Been a while..
Glad to hear your well 😄
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: April 28, 2012, 08:08:36 pm »
Hi ya Bron.Great to hear from you :).
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: April 28, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »
Hiya everyone! Can't load the photos from my ipad!
 ???
Shame, as my laptop isn't working! Anyone can enlighten me with how to load from my ipad. Have tried ith my mobile an that doesn't seem to work either!
Amanda

Spain

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #8695 on: April 28, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »
Bron do you have tapatalk app on your iPad ? You can load photos from that straight onto the forum really easily.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: April 28, 2012, 09:14:04 pm »
I use tapatalk too bron as i was having problems with the forum on safari on the ipad..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: April 28, 2012, 09:20:26 pm »
Hi Bron, good to hear from you. Tapatalk is the go for the iPad.

EmeraldSue it was NOT your day. You should have stayed in bed. ;)

Gert

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: April 28, 2012, 10:52:41 pm »
EmeraldSue, we never listen to our own advice do we. You were determined to make those macaroons. Better luck next time. I am not even going to attempt them yet. Out of my depth. Glad your dinner turned out.
DG xxx
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #8699 on: April 28, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »
No idea what I'm cooking today, but I'm soon to find out. Just come back from the paper run and about to get into it. Will get out my trusty folder of recipes and flick through until I find what I want to make. Bit of a lucky dip :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.