Author Topic: Coconut bread  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
Coconut bread
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:42 pm »
I was attracted to this recipe as it was sugar and gluten free. It didn't work out very well for various reasons, but I thought I would post it here in case any of the expert tweakers on this forum wanted to have a play with it. I really can't vouch for my inexpert TM methodology either!

Ingredients
6 eggs
80g melted butter
30g honey
1/2 tsp salt
60g coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder

Preparation
1. Melt the butter for 2 minutes at 50°C speed 2.
2. Mix butter, eggs, honey and salt for 20 seconds at speed 5
3. Add coconut flour and baking powder and mix for 30 seconds at speed 6.
4. Pour into small greased loaf tin and place into pre-heated oven at 175 C for 40 minutes
5. Remove from loaf tin and cool on rack

Makes 1 small ‘loaf’

Source
Measurements and instructions adapted for the thermomix, from Fife, Bruce. Cooking With Coconut Flour. A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat. Colorado Springs: Piccadilly, 2005. p. 44

Comments
I wouldn’t really describe this as ‘bread’ although the original recipe claims it can be 'eaten much like regular bread'. It is more like a brioche – half way between bread and cake. I had wanted something to eat with my hard boiled eggs in the morning but this was not suitable, and also not really sweet enough to pass as cake. It came out looking a bit like madeira cake. It was quite nice with butter spread on it, but it is difficult to know when one would eat this.

Unfortunately I semi-scrambled the eggs when I placed them into the melted butter which probably didn’t help and no doubt it should have risen a bit more.

I have a vague memory of seeing a controversy about whether it was actually necessary to melt butter when using the thermomix or whether chopping it is enough.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:13:31 pm by Moonmobile »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Coconut bread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »
MM,  I think that the scrambled eggs may be part of your problem.   Fife depends on the volume created by the eggs.   I have tasted his chocolate cake and it was pretty solid.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:08:11 am »
Think I would either add the honey to the melted butter and blend it for 20 or 30 seconds on 4 or 5 before adding the eggs while the blades are turning. 

OR

Cream the honey and butter before adding the eggs.

Good luck
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
i just made this tonight it hardly rose and has a very eggy flavour but its not bad. :)