Author Topic: Muesli Bars  (Read 43472 times)

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
Re: Low GI Muesli Bars
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 02:56:48 pm »
Hi Snoozie, yes you can  ;)

How exciting!! I thought I would not be wanting a single other gadget after the TMX but seems like this is a 'must have' item!! Can you believe - not one single one on ebay!!  :o

I thought the same Nay-nay  :-)) , but ....  ;D I bought 3 years ago a grain mill, a juicer, a dehydrator....

That sounds really interesting Vivacity and Elli, and quite economical.  So you're turning whole oats into rolled oats?  And sounds like you can make your own flour which is fresher and healthier, having not sat in the shops like a broken egg?

I order all the time 10kg locol oat groats  and they last forever. You will taste the difference. The kids, which coming to our house want oatflakes all the time :).

@Vivacity: Isn't it amazing how natural sweet they are comparing to the store bought ?   
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

vivacity

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »
Yes, they are naturally sweet, I don't need any sugar when I mix them in my fruit muesli.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 02:20:15 am »
Good to see Tesabile supporting the Australian economy - I didn't even know that we manufactures this little units. Thanks
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 04:02:41 am »
Okies some more newbie questions! lol How long do seeds, nuts etc last... can you store them in the freezer or fridge to keep them longer?  I'm looking at bulk buying and obviously want to buy to help reduce the costs but don't want to be throwing a heap out! lol

Doesn't the tmx make flour? (just getting confused with comments about being able to make flour with the flaker). 

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 06:40:04 am »
Of course makes the TMX flour  ;) better and faster then a flaker. I use a grain mill too.
I buy local grains and as part of a Food Coop most of the seeds, dried fruit, nuts in kg or 2,5 kg bags or buckets and keep them in the freezer, fridge and cold storage. I think we go through 30 kg spelt, 30 kg kamut and oats, 10 kg rye, 5 kg barley and millet a year.

Good to see Tesabile supporting the Australian economy - I didn't even know that we manufactures this little units. Thanks
You're welcome  :) I learned about, sending my girls to waldorf preschool
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 11:45:48 am »
Just made these... the mix is lovely but there's no way my temp reached 80 degrees with the caramel.  Not sure if that's normal or not???  ???

Just sitting waiting to cool to get cut up etc.  Also, I'm assuming the sultanas would go in on the initial stage?  I didn't end up adding them as by the time I realise I hadn't the mix was sitting aside in a bowl and DH isn't a big fan of them anyway!!!

Can't wait to try them out as muesli!

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 02:07:22 pm »
Okay I must be daft.

Do you put the muesli in the fridge before cutting it up? 

How do you keep it from sticking together?  Baking paper?

It tastes lovely just curious as to how to avoid a sticky mess! lol

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 09:45:57 pm »
Just made these... the mix is lovely but there's no way my temp reached 80 degrees with the caramel.  Not sure if that's normal or not???  ???
Not sure how hot my caramel got.  Basically just melted it all together and it worked fine.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 09:55:13 pm »
Do you put the muesli in the fridge before cutting it up? 

How do you keep it from sticking together?  Baking paper?

It tastes lovely just curious as to how to avoid a sticky mess! lol
I've never put it in the fridge, as I thought if the caramel got too cold it might set really hard.  Some batches are stickier than others.
I keep mine in a tupperware container, and don't pack it too tight.  You could use baking paper if you store in in layers.

I've edited the recipe for where the sultanas go in.  Glad you tried it Snoozie.  Hope the family likes it!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 12:46:33 am »
Yeah we were eating them last night just they were falling apart a bit so was wondering if I'd done something wrong! They taste beautiful. Think they'll definitely feature regularly - I just need to work on my skills! Heehee

sorry if sounded a bit abrupt last night. Was running around doing a million things.  Which probably didn't help!

ETA: Still soft but I am thinking that may be because of the missing sultanas.. I didn't replace them with anything so perhaps with a bit more "stuff" they would hold harder.  The fridge didn't make them very hard... just hard enough for me to cut.  Big hit with everyone in the house... I can't eat too much of it as I find the sweetness overpowering but not sure if I'd used a low GI sugar if that is not as sweet?  I think I will experiment with dropping the honey/sugar levels somewhat and see how it goes.  DH loves sweet things and he thinks it's great as is!  I've cut it into sesame snap size muesli bars.

But again, these will definitely be a regular feature in our house.  Will have to work on a no-nut muesli bar for S to take to kindy next year.

PS: Was only asking about caramel temp as I was scared there was something wrong with my machine lolol The caramel formed and worked perfectly so nothing to do with your recipe and I don't think there's anything wrong with my machine... it's just me being overly anxious!!!! lol
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:08:59 am by Snoozie »

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 08:54:54 am »
Yes they are quite sweet.  I cut them quite small too.  I'd like to reduce the sweetness too, but not sure if I can reduce it any further without them getting too dry.

Glad you're enjoying them.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 08:23:07 am »
hehe will let you know about reducing honey/sugar.

I can't believe yours last a week (and you give half away!!!!) I think mine are pretty much all gone lolol

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 09:00:52 am »
Well the batch I made a week ago has all gone, so maybe my estimation was a bit out.  I'm using them as toilet training rewards at the moment, so that means they disappear quickly too.  Better make some more, maybe tonight.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 06:11:45 am »
I'm going to give them a go too in a bit.. run out of pumpkin seeds but will just bolster with other things.

Have you tried the hazelnut spread?  That was a big hit here.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 07:39:48 am »
This is what I did:

Name of Recipe:Low GI Muesli Bars (adapted from Better Homes & Gardens magazine)
Ingredients:
40g dried apricots
40g dates (dessert)
25g sunflower seeds
35g pumpkin seeds
25g pecans
25g almonds hazelnuts
65g desiccated coconut
35g wheatgerm
110g rolled oats
25g oat bran
15g sesame seeds
40g craisins or sultanas
200150g unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey 1/3 cup golden syrup
3/4 cup low-GI sugar 2/3 cup rapadura

Didn't make any changes to the preparation except that I put mine in the fridge and I'm going to see how they go... not sure if they're going to stick together or whether I need a bit more of the syrup... will find out soon I guess but the sweetness is not overpowering now.