Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 4775 times)

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
Another Newbie
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:04:24 am »
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a few weeks now but thought it was high time I introduced myself..  I'm from Perth, WA and am a mum of two - a five year old and a two year old.  I've relatively recently become a stay-at-home mum and have used the opportunity to switch to making almost all of our food from scratch.  I'm not much of a cook so it has been a fun challenge! 

I've had my TM for about a month now and I love it.  I use it every day for making bread (gave the bread-maker away after only 3 days!) and most days for either making lunch box snacks or dinner.  I now wish I had two of them.

I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum as well as getting some more great ideas.

Bella

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:30:46 am »
Welcome Bella
There are lots of us from WA on here. What type of bread do you make?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:39:10 am »
Welcome BellaBear - good to see you come out of lurking.  Have fun on here - look forward to contributions.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:28:34 am »
Thanks very much for the warm welcome.

I've been making variations on the basic buckwheat bread recipe.  I'm still experimenting to get it just right (for our tastes) but I think I am getting very close now.  I've finally figured out that I should not use fan-forced when cooking!  I've been making the rolls into fun shapes (as a lunchbox surprise) which the kids love.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:18:44 pm »
Hi BB, welcome to the forum.  Didn't take you long to get into your TMX and you certainly won't miss your bread maker ;) ;)
If you used to be 'not much of a cook', it won't be long and you will be a great cook Bella.  Have fun with your cooking and here on the forum. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline WAThermoFamily

• View Profile
    • Mish Mash of Food and Thermomix
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 01:31:30 pm »
Welcome Bella.  I am from Perth too with two girls, 3 and 7yrs.  Its such a great place here and everyone is wonderul!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »
Great to hear that you're getting a lot out of your TMX, Bella. Keep working on the bread, you'll eventually find one that suits your family.
Welcome to the forum, we look forward to hearing of your experiments!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:14:54 am »
Welcome to the forum Bella B.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 06:26:57 am »
Welcome Bellabear,  sounds like you are having fun with your TMX.   How about posting the bread recipe when you get it right?

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:39:03 am »
Happy to do so but after having read most of the bread posts I'm feeling a bit intimidated by all of the expertise!  I really am a novice!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 06:03:55 am »
Welcome BellaBear. I was very nervous about making bread until Isi posted some recipes & I tried those. Had instant success so have been happy to make bread & rolls ever since. Just keep at it until you find a recipe you like or tweak it to suit your own taste.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:32:21 am »
Thanks Jan.  I've actually been pretty happy with the results I've been getting - we haven't had a loaf we haven't eaten anyway!  ;D   I'm just a bit intimidated to put "my" recipe (not really mine as I've just tweaked the basic recipe) because there are clearly so many experts here!

I've posted my favourite experiment in the bread section.  I hope someone finds it useful.   :P