Author Topic: Review of Tuna Tart from A South African Odyssey Page 158  (Read 3195 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review of Tuna Tart from A South African Odyssey Page 158
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
This looked a quick and easy recipe but it was very disappointing.  The recipe called for cheese to be grated & set aside.  Onion chopped (over chopped if following instructions) then adding 170g tuna, 3 slices bread, 250 mls milk, 130g mayo, seasonings & the 150g cheese, mix & place in an ovenproof dish then bake for 30 mins.

I don't like a raw onion taste so I chopped the onion (less than the recipe called for) & sauteed it in some oil before adding everything except the tuna back into the bowl to mix together including a confit clove of garlic to add more flavour. I then folded the tuna through by hand so as to leave it chunky. I cooked it in the air fryer.

The recipe was supposed to feed 6 people and although I only eat small serves, the quantities used in this recipe only yielded 3 serves.  It was more like a mornay than a tart but taste wise, it was nothing like our normal tuna mornays.

Very disappointing in method, taste and amount of servings.
Linked JD
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:25:27 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review of Tuna Tart from A South African Odyssey Page 158
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »
How disappointing for you Judy.Will you be able to salvage the two other portions?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:47 pm »
Judy,  thanks for the review.  Sounds like too much liquid. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:57:23 am »
Not too much liquid Chookie, the texture was fine - the bread soaked up the liquid.  The book said to cook it in a 18 x 25cm dish but that would have ended up as a very thin slice and if you cut it into 6 slices, people would have been still hungry afterwards.  I used a 17 cm round pyrex dish which fitted into the a/f. 

I'll still eat it Denise, it wasn't horrible but just not the nice taste we are used to with our tuna mornays. I won't give any to Mum though. Maybe the mayonnaise was what spoiled the dish.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:30 am »
Great to read your review Judy.  Such a shame that it didn't turn out .  Hope that whatever else you try is much better.