Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6036291 times)

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #24930 on: March 18, 2021, 06:59:57 pm »
Great news for your DD Cookie . Lovely photo of you both .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24931 on: March 19, 2021, 01:35:56 am »
Thanks Judy and KAtie.
At the wedding I was chatting to the groom’s Uncle. He didn’t recognise DH either. (He hadn’t seen him for over 35 years) he thought I may have traded him in on a new model. 😀😀 he is so lucky with his grey hair- it’s a lovely colour and never went all salt and peppery. Both his parents had/have nice grey hair.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24932 on: March 19, 2021, 08:37:48 pm »
Cookie, lovely photo. Thanks. The new you looks very smart.
Very good news about DD block.
Katie, I understand your rather weird experience. We stayed at a local Hotel when we were shifting. Hope your DM copes. Got to give it a go.
Pulling out the Zuchinni plants today. Will plant lettuce and cabbage seedlings.
Friend brought large basket of Quinces and cooking apples. I bottle 3 or 4 bottles a night in Microwave. Will make Quince jelly.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What have you been doing today?
« Reply #24933 on: March 21, 2021, 10:48:51 am »
We had a car run today. We went up into the hills and round about. We took the old Ute and it was very, very hot. It got to 37. It almost boiled going up the steep hills, but not quite. The heat of the engine comes through too, not like the modern cars.
We still had a lovely day, but we’re glad to get home to some air conditioning.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:51:17 am by cookie1 »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24934 on: March 21, 2021, 07:43:39 pm »
Lovely photo of you and your DH Cookie. Exciting news for your DD with the sign being displayed and survey going ahead.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 08:09:59 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24935 on: March 21, 2021, 09:04:03 pm »
Love the look of your Ute Cookie.  Don’t think I would enjoy the heat.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24936 on: March 22, 2021, 02:07:58 am »
It really was ghastly, we got home and both drank a large glass of freezing water non stop as we had finished off what we had taken on the drive home.
Not done much this morning as it is just 10am. I've done the ironing and will vacuum in a few minutes and wash the floor. I really don't know why we selected cream tiles.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24937 on: March 22, 2021, 09:32:27 pm »
Gardener coming today. 
Going to experiment with making fruit vinegar with Quinces.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24938 on: March 23, 2021, 05:52:55 am »
I’m running a bit behind time putting this up here; I have been a bit busy this week.  This is what I got up to last Saturday.  Fortunately it was a gorgeous day because the farm that I get my weekly box of vegetables from had an open day for their customers, and it was really fascinating.

They put on a delicious “munch” (I think that means morning tea / lunch) before we had a walk around the farm.

They farm bio dynamically and they spent quite a while describing their philosophy to us.  I had a bit of an idea of the principles of this farming method, but it was good to see a farm ‘in action’.  They are suffering from lack of labour at the moment due to COVID restrictions affecting backpackers, but they are managing.  They are certainly hard workers, I don’t know how they get everything done.

It was good to see what we will be getting in our boxes over the next couple of months, as well.  I shall have to look up some inventive new recipes for some of the vegetables I have never purchased or used before … any good Jerusalem artichokes out there?

We are also ‘foster parents’ to my neighbour’s young chickens until he is ready to take them up to his own run.  One of them was a very leggy lady so I decided that she had to be called Longshanks, the name suited perfectly.  We spent quite a few weeks deciding whether Longshanks was in fact a hen or a rooster … turned out she was a he.  My colleague at work was wondering if s/he “identified as trans”!  Of course, this sent our neighbour off into a fit of laughter.  Sadly, Longshanks has now disappeared from my coop, but I hope s/he is having a good life as Australia’s first trans s/he chook!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24939 on: March 23, 2021, 07:11:21 am »
I love the name Longshanks.

I went up to a cooking class today. It was run by Nikikit who used to be on here and her friend Nerissa. It had been 5 years since I had been to one of their classes. I didn't realise it had been so long. I was worried I was going to be late as I had to contend with slow drivers and heaps of roadworks, but I made it in an hour.
We had a lovely heap of demonstrations in the 31, 5 and 6. Coffee and cake on arrival and delicious food with the varoma being the central theme throughout.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24940 on: March 23, 2021, 09:31:04 am »
An interesting visit to your veggie supplier Marina, I enjoy seeing what goes on behind the scenes. I hope Longshanks is alive and well and hasn’t been ‘knocked off’!
Sounded like fun to go to the cooking class cookie, worth the long drive.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #24941 on: March 23, 2021, 09:17:34 pm »
Cookie sounds like a great time was had with Nikikit , does she have a blog or Facebook page ? I remember something but not sure .
Marina sound interesting to see where your produce comes from .
Well I’ve been with DM  24/7 for two weeks retuned home yesterday and went to a yoga class last night . Looking after DM was full on but I also managed to get a lot done when the carers came for a few hours .  When getting DM nightie and bra I managed to get new bras for me too , yah . Eye test to get new multi focal glasses and replace reading glasses lenses ! Have the readers back but waiting on new frames for the others . Got a few books for book club . Even went to the podiatrist . The last night I had dinner with a old friend . But all the heartbreak of DM makes this seem Irrelevant .

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24942 on: March 23, 2021, 10:08:51 pm »
I also remember Nikkit and her stories, hope she is doing well.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24943 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:57 pm »
Marina, Artichoke soup is lovely but be careful lots of wind . Kids call it Fartichoke soup.
Roasted also nice. If young and fresh, just wash and scrub.
More gardening today. Planting lettuce.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24944 on: March 23, 2021, 11:35:01 pm »
I had heard of the 'windy' side effects, Chookie, I shall be wary in the use of it.  Thanks for the recipe suggestions.