Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 795176 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:35 am »
Uni, that is crazy, $700 per week, she obviously cant add up, unless she is living if truffles!! You couldnt even eat that amount of food. Mine is $250-$300 & theres always food here.

Astarra, great work, wont you need milk further in the week.

Chookie, your in, great ;D no nt cheating, we have a lot of meat here in the freezer. Its just great to use up what we have.

Well my first shop today, $29.80, that is really good for me. It also included some junk food, tim tams & chips for the long weekend here. I woud normally have spent over $80 on not much all.

My next shop is a big fruit & veg one, we have basically nothing left, using my emergency frozen stuff as well as fresh tonight. My order comes to $52.17 to feed 4 of us, sounds a lot but as I sad the cupboards are bare, & next week should  be down to under $30. So
I am at about $83, will need a few things friday, around $10-$15. So I should come in under $100. ;D

H :)

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 03:59:28 am »
Doing well Halex, I guess sometimes we don't really think about what we spend till we decide to sit down and ad it all up.
I have found that buying my milk and bread in bulk keeps me away from the shop so stops me buying in impulse. And this really helps keep the grocery bill down to a minimum.
With a little effort and discipline we can save $1000s a year by not buying items that we really don't need. And also using what we already have so much less wastage as well.
I'm glad you started this topic Halex as its a great idea :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 04:15:20 am »
Unfortunately we dont like UHT milk.

Hally, have you tried it in your baking - I'm sure you wouldn't notice a difference.

I make sure I have some frozen vegies and canned fruit in the pantry so that when I run out of or get low in choice for these items, I can still fill the plate with vegies and have fruit if I fancy it.  I always fancy fruit when I don't have any in the basket  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 04:45:18 am »
I have a suggestion, but feel free to ignore it as the "$100 per week food challenge " is a catchy title.
As there are different numbers of people in each household, why not use a guide of $5 per person per day? That works out at $35 per week per person.
ie Single person : $35/week;
   Couples: $70/week;
   Family of 3: $105/week;
   Family of 4: $140/week;
   Family of 5: $175/week;
   Family of 6: $210/week
   Family of 7: $245/week etc

Just a thought ;D
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 04:59:27 am »
ES,  cut it out.  I couldn't possibly manage in $70 a week. Just 2 of us.  Probably should say I don't want to manage on $70 a week. ;D ;D ;D  But then again,  think of all the money I could save for a holiday.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 05:07:30 am »
Has anyone done the $21 challenge. ( from Fiona Lippy)
$21 groceries for a week.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 06:10:03 am »
This is a great idea but I'm too chicken to join in :). Especially since I just spent $140 at the supermarket for just the 3 of us! I'm not good at menu planning, usually plan 2 main meals a week and just wing it for the rest. Having said that, I should come in under $100 next week if I resist trying new recipes & just use up the meals in the freezer.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:08 am »
Blimey teddy, I don't know what we're buying but I don't think we could ever do a full grocery shop for less than $100!! :o We go through a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, I eat a lot of yoghurt, I also use nuts and seeds which can be quite expensive, and we have 2 big dogs to feed as well... :P

I'll enjoy following this thread and getting some tips from the rest of you ;)

I'll be in your next one Hally :-*

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 07:03:55 am »
Spent $63.00 at the supermarket, should see us through the week, may need to top up on milk at the end of the week.  Have looked through the fridge, freezer and pantry and have worked out the meals for the rest of the week.
Tues - pork spare ribs with stir fried veg
Wed - pasta with speck and mushrooms
Thur - beef in the slow cooker
Fri - lamb chops and veg
Sat - mushroom risotto
Sun - pizza

So good to start cleaning out the freezers

mcmich

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 07:18:10 am »
I spent $87.00 yesterday at the grocery store but that did include cleaning products and some toiletries.
I'm going to try and stick to $100.00 a week including the above.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24:22 am »
Had a proper look at my shopping bill & realised that $36 was for non-food items, so bill only came to $105 - pretty close! Except I need to add my Aussie farmers bill as well which usually comes to around $20. If I was home more & had time to plan better, I'm sure I could do this (she says writing this at the local pool while kids have swimming lessons). Maybe next time - will watch with interest, very inspiring!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:37 am »
As I am out of most of my baking needs I don't think I could shop for under $100 this week. I need to stock up the cupboards first LOL
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 09:02:04 am »
 l was given some salmon & pike  fillets today
 so tea tonight will be  salmon patties  and salad
wed will be fish and chips & salad
not shore about rest of week
l spent $1.89 for 1 kg carrots today and they were not organic  { thats just the price they are here ]
and $5.69 for 1 kg of tomatoes  to go with salad

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:25 am »
DG, that defeats the object ???

Amy you would be surprised that it is possible & we are all going to do it. I think of course long term it wouldnt be as we all have food in freezers & pantry etc. it is a good way of using up what we have. :)

Deedub, join in, your early there. Yes my aussie farmers deliver is a big one for fruit & veg, just over $52!!

Keiramax & Michele, you guys have done really well.

H :)

Nazar I dont think your prices are much different to what I pay with aussie farmers :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:30:08 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 09:28:49 am »
I'll join in from this weekend onwards, which is when I do my main shopping.  I will probably blow it though in June - end of financial year will strain my free time for cooking so I think there will be quite a few take-aways thrown in, particularly towards the end of the month.

I haven't frozen milk, but it's a good idea - does it still taste OK when you defrost it?  Not much in my freezer, unfortunately, but loads of soup coming up. 

I think it will be hard for some of us to keep to the $100.00 because those who live in more remote areas are penalised with higher prices, but I think the object of the challenge is to try your best under each person's individual circumstances.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.