Author Topic: Help with storing recipes on computer/online  (Read 14230 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: Help with storing recipes on computer/online
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »
Hi bluesed,
Yes, we are still trying to work out how to incorporate the monitor (with keyboard and mouse and the cords that go with them) into the new kitchen without them getting in the way, or getting food or liquid spilt on them ........
At the moment I have several files/boxes/piles of recipes that I have collected from all over the place, and I can never seem to find the one that I want when I want it - not to mention all the paper I use when I print them out, so we are hoping that we can make the computer in the kitchen idea work ........ any suggestions/ideas welcomed!
Karen
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 12:53:15 am »
Karen, what about a wireless keyboard and mouse with a silicone cover? Or an ipad. I find my iPad on the window sil works really well. If I had a monitor I would want it on an adjustable arm.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:45:42 am »
Really good idea Meagan - will look into the silicone covers.  I have an iPad, but find the screen a bit too small to read recipes easily (getting older, recently got glasses, but dont like using them in the kitchen 'cause they fog up  :-)))
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 02:05:23 am »
(getting older, recently got glasses, but dont like using them in the kitchen 'cause they fog up  :-)))
  I'm with you on that one KJH, you open the oven and next minute, you can't see a thing - dangerous really.  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:23 am »
.................even though the fogging has been happening for years, I still forget to open the oven door and stay back. :P :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:45:00 am »
Mine fog up when I lift up the MC and try to peek at what is cooking in the TMX - I cant see a thing!  Ditto when I lift the lid on the varoma  :P

Maybe I will have to get the computer to somehow project my recipes onto the large flat screen TV that DH is hoping (with fingers crossed) to put into the renovated loungeroom  ;) ;)   then I might be able to read them without glasses!   No TV watching for DH while I am cooking though  ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 01:38:23 pm »
You could maybe use a touch screen but i guess one would have to be carefull with sticky fingers or buy one of those that are really strong that they use in public places. Then you dont need mouse or keyboard.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »
LOL well I am a big technology person (been in web development since the early 90's when it really began etc, but I like printed paper recipes. I like to sift through them (yep odd as I spend too much time on the computer), there is just something about paper I can't give up, lol
Like to have plastic folder covered/laminated recipes I can take into the kitchen and put anywhere. Move them around, sit them on the stove (my tmx is in the gap between the sink and the gas stove/cooktop which isn't that big, pre tmx all my preparation was done on the island but now I do more there, so I need to put the recipe on the stove.

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 07:14:20 am »
Funny Zan, how sometimes we just like some of our systems to be plain and simple  ;)

My husband keeps cursing our handle-operated pasta machine, but like you I can't give up that feeling that takes me back in my childhood years in Italy, when I was barely tall enough to turn the handle and help Grandma laminate the dough 

Brings nostalgic memories of forgotten times in my mind  :'(
Gabry from Adelaide

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 07:19:10 am »
Oh I meant to say... this thread got me inspired and now I am loving using Mac Gourmet Deluxe  :D :D :D
Thanks Karen  :-*
Gabry from Adelaide

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »
LOL well I am a big technology person (been in web development since the early 90's when it really began etc, but I like printed paper recipes. I like to sift through them (yep odd as I spend too much time on the computer), there is just something about paper I can't give up, lol
Like to have plastic folder covered/laminated recipes I can take into the kitchen and put anywhere. Move them around, sit them on the stove (my tmx is in the gap between the sink and the gas stove/cooktop which isn't that big, pre tmx all my preparation was done on the island but now I do more there, so I need to put the recipe on the stove.

I stick several, usually grouped as to type of recipe, into Ziplock bags, punch a hole in the corner of the bag and hang a bunch on a shower curtain ring.  I print an "Index" of the recipes in each bag and hang it in my pantry.  I can flip through the bags to find which recipe I want.  Put it facing out in the back of the bag (no printing on the bag on that side) and either lay it on the counter or hang it where it is at eye level. 
I do this for the recipes that I know I am going to use over and over again - my regular Christmas cookie recipes, my bread recipes and etc.
This keeps them handy, I always know where they are and the plastic bags keep them neat and clean.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 11:17:12 pm »
I used to go through lots of paper and printer ink before I started using my laptop as my "cook book".  It sits at eye level on the little bench that sits above the main bench and I have the keyboard protected by a silicone sheet that fits over the keys perfectly, so no messy keys.  I sync it to the main computer so should either of the computers fail there is an up do date copy on the other computer.
Any new recipes I'm going to make are typed up on my laptop from the cookbook or copied and pasted from on-line, I never use my cook books in the kitchen.  I have a main folder called simply Recipes and within that folder are sub folders under all the categories you like as in Soup, Chicken, Beef, TM etc and when you click on any of them you then see in alphabetical order all the recipes for that category.  When you click on a particular recipe it also has a photo of the dish.  It works really well for me and should anyone ask for a recipe I can either email it or print it out for them.  I've saved heaps of money not buying paper or printer ink, something I was buying quite regular before doing this.

Julie.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 03:08:59 am »
I'm starting to think I need to get myself and IPad and an application!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 04:25:11 pm »
I'm starting to think I need to get myself and IPad and an application!
Go for it, I love my ipad but wish my kids didn't  :-\ lol
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 10:45:42 am »
I am so excited!  I have been playing around some more with MacGourmet, and have worked out how to email recipes from my "recipe library" - it is just tooooo easy ........ but even better than that, I have worked out how to import recipes directly from the internet into the recipe library - including recipes from this forum!!  And that is so easy too - although it does involve a few "clicks" - it sure beats typing them in from scratch.  So all in all - I am wrapped with MacGourmet!
Karen in Adelaide