Author Topic: Quick Spanish Beef/Savoury Mince/Savoury Rice  (Read 39287 times)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Quick Spanish Beef/Savoury Mince/Savoury Rice
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:13:38 am »
I really don't know what to call this one.  It's always been known as Quick Spanish Beef in my family, but I'm not exactly sure what is particularly Spanish about it.  My mum has made this for as long as I can remember as a quick mid-week meal or for a potluck dinner.  It is super easy, and most of the ingredients are always on hand.

Name of Recipe: Quick Spanish Beef
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:
30 grams butter
1 onion
1 carrot
80-100 grams rice
1 teaspoon curry powder
500 grams mince
400g can condensed tomato soup
250 grams water

Preparation:
1. Place the onion and carrot in the TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the butter, rice and curry powder. Cook for 3 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1.
2. Add the mince and cook for 5 minutes at Varoma temp on speed 1.
3. Add the soup and water and cook for 20 minutes at 100ºC on speed 1 + reverse, MC out, basket on lid to prevent splatters.
Check that the rice is cooked through. If not, continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until rice is cooked. You may need to add a little more hot water if needed.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
Great in summer with a crispy green salad, but even better in winter with crusty, toasted, buttery bread.  Also fabulous in toasties/jaffles or loaded on top of a jacket potato with cheese and sour cream.
Freezes well.
Additional veggies can be added if desired.  I've made it previously with garlic, peas and corn.  Thinly sliced cabbage goes well also.

members' comments

KerrynN - This is fantastic! We have just made it with kangaroo mince, peas, corn and beans and everybody agrees it is delicious! Will definitely be making this again.

johnro - Thanks for posting this very quick and delicious recipe opi2 - I added 2 cloves garlic, some frozen corn and  peas as well as a couple of large handfuls of shredded sugar loaf cabbage. Culd not help it when the spoon of sour cream landed on the plate - thanks again!

maddy - A nice and quick dish to whip up! I had to sub a jar of pasta sauce, as there was no soup or passata.
I used:
2 garlic cloves
2 chopped carrots
1 onion
1 red capsicum
550g mince
1 500g jar of Raguletto Basil & red wine pasta sauce
1 tsp curry
200g basmati rice
150g boiling water

Kids woofed it down!
Thanks Andrea 

HelenN - Yum this one is great - made this tonight for dinner with baked potatoes, put some beetroot, grated cheese and sour cream on top - even my fussy eater managed to polish his off!  Thank you! 

CP - A neighbour gave us a pickled cabbage so we had this over the top of a couple of leaves last night. Added the garlic, peas and corn and it was delish. Supervised DH so next time he can make this as it is very easy. Very similar to the Chow Mein in a lot of respects. Will defintely make again.

astarra - YUM!!!! I am very happy with this recipe, 2/3 of my girls are going thru a fussy stage... I made this according to the recipe (using nuttelex in place of butter for a DF option) and all 3 had second helpings!!!!!  DH also had high praise ... "I don't think I'd like to know what's in here, but it is darn good." (as he helped himself to a 3rd portion!!)
So a big thank you for this recipe.

Bubbles - My dad loved this. I made it with beef as that's what I had in the freezer but will try lamb mince next time.

merle81 - This was the first dinner I made with my TMX. I only had half an hour to whip up something quick, so I made this and had it with foccacia. The next night we had it on baked potatoes with some cheese and sour cream. Delicious! Will definitely make again. A good one to have in the freezer.

Churchill - it was fantastic and has been filed in my recipe collection. So easy and sooooo delicious!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:14:14 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spanish Beef/Savoury Mince/Savoury Rice
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:24:57 am »
This reminds me of something we would have made when Rice-a-Riso came onto the market back in the 60's (don't even know if those packets are still available) and I'm sure the kids would tuck into this one O2K. Every packet had a recipe on it and they had exotic names like Spanish such and such - food was pretty boring back then, pizzas were really something special, so people really went for something different using Rice-a-Riso as a base.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:29:02 am »
Yes, you're right JD.  Very similar to Rice-a-Riso (I did have that a few years ago and I think you may still be able to get it).  And you're right my DS loves it - I usually put a little less curry powder and more veggies (sometimes pureed if he's having a non-veggie moment) if I'm making it for him.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:49 am »
Yum - I love dishes like that!

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:15:51 am »
this is a dish I learnt to make in Home Economics at high school in the '80's. Thanks for posting brings back so many memories!

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:45:54 am »
I wish I was having this for dinner!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:50 am »
I know what you mean jd. we loved curry prawns and rice from the packet
Could not eat them now, well maybe once more lol

What could I use instead of the condensed tomato soup?

I was thinking fresh tomato

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:14:34 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:20 am »

Fundj, Chelsea has done a recipe for condensed tomato soup.  I haven't tried it, but am keen to (I have the tomatoes in the freezer ready to go).  I just happened to have a tin of soup in my pantry to be used.  Next time I'll be trying this recipe:  http://fulllittletummies.blogspot.com/2010/12/filling-tummies-with-condensed-tomato.html

And for me too, this recipe brings back memories of my childhood (which I think is why it is such a favourite for me - apart from it's total simplicity and is very budget friendly).  This, and tuna mornay are the ultimate meals that remind me of growing up on the farm.  I just wish the rest of my family would eat tuna mornay...   :'(

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 06:08:43 am »
This is fantastic! We have just made it with kangaroo mince, peas, corn and beans and everybody agrees it is delicious!

Only one question though as regards the recipe - when was the curry to be added? I added it with the soup and water.

Will definitely be making this again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:11:07 am by KerrynN »
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:15:49 am »
I'd have added it with the butter and rice Kerryn to 'fry off' the curry powder but guess it doesn't really matter.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:36 am »
Yep, sorry about that - JD is right, add with the rice to allow the flavour to come out.  I'll amend the recipe now.

Glad you enjoyed it KerrynN.  ;D ;D

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 07:31:46 am »

I was thinking fresh tomato

I was thinking the same thing as I read te recipe.  A can of tomatoes?  I've never cooked with condensed soup, so don't really know it's effect.  Is it just a way to get a quick and easy sauce?  In which case tomatoes would cut it.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:24 pm »
I think the condensed soup helps to thicken the sauce as well.  I think a can of tomatoes or fresh tomatoes would require some additional thickening agent.  Perhaps just add some cornflour as well??

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »
Thanks, Opi.  I'll try that then.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:18 am »
Thanks for posting this very quick and delicious recipe opi2 - I added 2 cloves garlic, some frozen corn and  peas as well as a couple of large handfuls of shredded sugar loaf cabbage.   :)  :) could not help it when the spoon of sour cream landed on the plate - thanks again!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:20:01 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.