Author Topic: Ezekial or Bible Bread  (Read 55902 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Ezekial or Bible Bread
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »
I've seen versions of this bread around on the internet, but this is the first one I've tried.  This is Cyncdi O'Meara's version, and is from her 21 days diet, and her Changing Habits Changing Lives book.  I've adapted it for the TMX.  Also, I use more yeast than her.  She says 1 tsp, and I use 2 - probably 'cos I'm not using a measuring spoon, but an actual teaspoon :-)

I've put the amount of water that she says in her recipe, but I consistently need a bit less.

I'm posting this because my family loves it so much.  It's delicious.

Bible Bread

2 cups flour
1 cup mix
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp yeast (1 if using real measuring spoon)
300 ml filtered water (that's 1 and 1 third cups)

Knead for 4-6 minutes.  Leave to rise slowly if used
wheat flour.  Bake at 220oC for circa 25 mins

Mix

Easy to mix together and keep in a container for when making this bread:

2 cups raw sugar
1 cup quinoa or amaranth flour
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup linseed
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup ground almonds
2 cups oats
1 cup maize flour / polenta
1 cup besan (chickpea) flour
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:13:59 pm by CarolineW »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Ezekial or Bible Bread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:03:34 am »
Caroline, how long do you think that mix would keep before it starts going rancid?
It just seems like an awful lot!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:26 pm »
Hmmm, not sure.  Cyndi doesn't say in her book.  We're getting through a loaf a day of it at the moment, although I'm assuming that we'll be ready to vary it a bit with other breads in a few days time.  But it IS an addictive flavour.

Hopefully someone else will have more idea than me, Amanda.  But presumably Cyndi wouldn't suggest doing that unless it was practical?  She gives multiple bread recipes, so she must assume that we're varying which bread we eat.

I realised that I missed the water out of the recipe  :o  ::)  So I'm going to see if I can edit it to add it in now.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:10:12 am »
Caroline, how long do you think that mix would keep before it starts going rancid?
It just seems like an awful lot!

It should freeze OK - or try to change mix amounts to heaped dessertspoons of each ingredient, should be about 1 cup - but then there's the rest in the bags of flour, seeds etc ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:10 am »
yes, a lot of GF cooks keep all their flours in the freezer!!! (don't know how they have room, my freezer is always chockers lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:02 am »
So is mine Brazen - I have to do an inventory occasionally otherwise I haven't a clue what is in there.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:02:06 pm »
So is mine Brazen - I have to do an inventory occasionally otherwise I haven't a clue what is in there.

I have an inventory - but then some bits slip in without labels and without going on the list - lucky dip  ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:14:51 pm »
So would this work if I ground all those seeds into meal do you reckon?

What would you substitute for the oats to make it gluten free? Just leave them out? and increase some of the other ingredients?

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:30 am »
I guess to make it gluten free you'd leave the oats out, and replace them with a gluten free flour.  Milling the seeds should be fine, it would just change the texture a bit I think, that's all.

For those who just want to make a single loaf, and not the Bread Mix for multiple loaves, here's the recipe:

2.5 cups flour
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp maize flour
1 tbsp ground almonds
1 tbsp soy flour
1 tbsp linseeds
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp besan flour
2 tbsp rolled oats
1 and third cups filtered water
1 tbsp oil
1.5 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried yeast or 2.5cm square compressed yeast, crumbled.  (but I use less water, and more yeast.  I use 2 kitchen tsp of yeast, and about 250ml of water)

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:08 pm »
Many thanks :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:53:19 pm »
Yes thanks for doing the maths
Thermomixer in Australia

vivacity

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »
Thanks for posting the recipe, Caroline! I made a loaf of this yesterday after finding some amaranth in a tiny, dark corner shop in Budapest. I substituted soya flour for ground almonds (didn't have any lying around) and used half white flour, half spelt for the loaf. I only made up half the quantity of mix.

You're right about the amount of water, it does seem a lot. My dough was still pretty liquid after 6 minutes of kneading in the TMX, but I just poured it into a silicon mould and let it rise until noticeably bigger.

The taste and texture of the finished bread is wonderful. It was so good that I made another loaf for my MIL. Bread in this area of Hungary is mostly white, so Bible Bread makes a nice change. Once I get home, I'll make another quantity of mix for bulk bread baking. I reckon this will freeze very well.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 04:41:41 pm »
just love where she found some amaranth in a dark corner in Budapest...conjures up a very rustic and romantic movie scene in the corners of my mind whilst I inhabit an Aussie kitchen with all the all mod cons and views to a plasma (watching cooking shows of course) and access to a remote control...no I am not a male..
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 10:09:00 am »
Maybe it's just supposed to be wet, then?  I do have another recipe (which I'll be posting once I've done it a couple more times in the TMX to be sure my conversion is accurate) which has a very wet dough.  But the authors make the point that it's supposed to be wet, and that's where it's high quality 'crumb' comes from.  They also say to coat the outside with flour so that you can shape it without it just sticking to your hands, and giving it (I quote) 'a gluten cloak'.

Maybe I'll stop adding less water/more flour, and see how that bread compares. 

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
Maybe I'll stop adding less water/more flour, and see how that bread compares. 

We make this bread also.  It is described by Cyndi as being a complete protein, so it's good for my kidlets who aren't big on eggs.  I converted it myself for the tmx, as I hadn't noticed it on here.  I think it is supposed to be a wet mix.  Although the wet dough is a pain to work with, the end result is just lovely.  We also make a loaf or rolls most days using the mix so the batch lasts less than 2 weeks (it makes 12 cups of mix and you use a cup for each loaf).  It keeps well in the freezer.
Chelsea :)