Author Topic: Chicken Tagine with Green Olives - In The Mix App - Recipe Review  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
I was going to start this post by saying Never Again! This was because the huge mess this recipe caused in my kitchen and how many times I did not read the recipe properly and how long it took to create however the results were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! and this recipe was packed with flavour!! I did make quite a few adjustments though as I didn't have exact ingredients etc.

I think the recipe ended up taking about 2 hours all up(partly my fault) so I have made lots of notes for myself and written it out so I can make it more efficiently next time, and with less problems!!

BTW, this app is free for the ipad (at least when I got it) with the limited recipes.

I used what I had which meant swapping green capsicums for red, cumin powder (or moroccan powder as I ran out) for cumin seeds, coriander powder for seeds, etc. I also used 2 red chillies, with seeds, instead of 25grams birdseye chillies as I knew I could not cope with that amount of heat!

I would advise making the harissa paste in advance (ie day before or in morning)  to save time when making the actual tagine.

I also did not do the couscous bit but made the instant couscous at the end (we tried a new brand with better results and taste)

I did not read the recipe correctly where it said to include the chicken stock as part of the cooking with the veges, so ended up doing it as another step, increasing the time by 20 minutes and also mistakenly putting in some of the ingredients from the next step. I think this ended up being a postive though with the end result.

During this long cooking process, you are supposed to take the MC off (which I did) however normally you would have the couscous on top in the Varoma but as I was making the couscous at the end, I didn't do this. Instead I walked away to do something else only to discover huge splatters everywhere!!!!!!  :-\ I did not realise at the time it was because I did not put the Varoma on top but thought it was because I had the speed 1/2 speed too high so it happened again!!  :-)) during the next 20 minutes cooking before I eventually put the simmering basket on top to prevent this.

Anyway, despite all these problems, the results were spectacular!!  ;D The chicken had fallen apart and was soooooooo tender and tasty! Divine! It was a little spicy but not as bad as I thought and hubby loved it. (I left out the olives as I didn't think they were necessary but had a bit of yoghurt on the side for the heat).

Definitely recommend!!

After this experience with the app though, I have realised how user friendly Tenina's app is as each step is listed on a separate page (with the necessary ingredients). I found I had to constantly flick up and down to find amounts and where I was up to which was rather annoying.

Anyway, will make again with all my lessons learnt this first time!!

Here is a photo:

Offline GiloKez

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Tagine with Green Olives - In The Mix App - Recipe Review
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:04:47 pm »
I made this yesterday and I must say it was not something id ever attempt in my thermy again. It took hours and for me the taste in the end was just not worth it. DH hated it I think the cumin and coriander was a bit much for us here. What a waste of a dish.
I did everything exactly to the recipe to so maybe I should have lightened up on the spices.... Who knows..:) oh well in nearly 4 years I think it's my 3rd bad meal in the thermo x

Offline JeremyUK

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Tagine with Green Olives - In The Mix App - Recipe Review
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:01:23 am »
Made this last night and loved it apart from I felt that the olives dominated the dish.  Next time I will half the amount.