Author Topic: Not quite sure on where to start...  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Kristie

• View Profile
Not quite sure on where to start...
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:11:45 pm »
Found this beautiful sounding recipe and would love to try it out. Hope I'm posting in the right place.

it's called Kath's Caramel Cake

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Kaths-Caramel-Cake-L6843.html

and where I could probably muddle my way through converting it, would love some hints and tips from those much more experienced than me with the TMX and converting recipes.

Thanks everyone, am very new to this and just love what it can do already.
Kristie

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Not quite sure on where to start...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:37:00 pm »
Main thing that I would do is to start by taking say 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar and making icing sugar out of it - remove and leave asside.  Then beat the egg whites with the butterfly until stiff and the add the brown caster sugar slowly to this like making a meringue mix to help it hold air.  Leave this aside while making the rest of the cake base. 

The rest should be pretty much as written.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:48:14 am »
Sounds like a really nice recipe, look forward to your final conversion and review.

Icing - I've found that most recipes that traditionally require the "add slowly" don't actually need it with TMX eg Bechamel sauce - throw everything and go.  So I'd put the butter, milk and sugar in the bowl and melt/cook until it boils.  Then once cool (probably need to take it out of the bowl to cool quicker) add the icing sugar and use the butterfly on max spd 4 until very fluffy.

Have a look at other cake recipes on the forum for timing ideas.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »
Kristie, I would whip eggs and sugar first couple of mins 37º on speed 3 and 1/2 for 2 or 3 mins, then add liquids, ie melted butter, milk etc, mix on speed 3 for 15 seconds, then lastly add dry ingredients like flour on speed 2-3 for 10 seconds, and bake, this is how I make all my sponge cakes and they are lush! Let us know how it goes!
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:01:38 pm »
And for the icing, I would try this..............make icing sugar first, put aside, then cook butter, sugar and milk on temp varoma 3 mins speed 4-5, and then when its cooled a bit place butterfly on add icing sugar and whisk for 5 mins speed 2-3. Good luck! ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 04:06:30 am »
Bron I don't really like most cakes in the TMX so I'll try this ,thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »
Oh Cookie! I make a lovely easy every day lemon sponge cake, that my kids beg me weekly to make (I normally do) and I have to admit it is lovely and light, made with a yoghurt and butter, its very good, would you like me to post it? Sometimes I make a cake(crown shaped, with hole in the middle) and sometimes I make them in individual cup cakes to take to school, its a very easy one!
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:48:01 pm »
i would love that one, thanks bron :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:35:19 am »
Thanks for the recipe Bron, will try it. Brazen has asked a couple of questions re the recipe, under the actual recipe posting. Will do the making when I know the answers. Obviously sizes etc are different here. It sounds rather tasty.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/