Author Topic: Excess coriander  (Read 19005 times)

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
Re: Excess coriander
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 03:56:21 pm »
HI there,

have just been reading this thread and I love growing my own herbs like basil coriander etc. But I have never had much success from coriander.

I have tried planting from seeds and seedlings but they either die or don't sprout much.  I feed them with seasol every 2 weeks and all the other herbs thrive, but alas, not the coriander. Its mine and DH's favourite herb and I add it to almost every meal.

Would love some tips from you gals as its sounds like yours are doing so well. Maybe its Perth's water???

Bronte
Thermobron
Perth, WA

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:51 pm »
Hi Bronte, I'm in Perth so can't be the water not letting you have success lol. I think mine thrive on neglect really to be honest. The only thing I do is move it to a cooler place at this time of the year and throw it a bit of dynamic lifter when I remember. Seasol alone isn't enough so try that one fortnight and some dynamic lifter the other - even once a month and save yourself some money!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 11:56:10 pm »
I have never had the success that I had this time with my coriander plant.  It normally goes straight to seed before I get a chance to pick it. I never fertilised this lot at all, didn't even think about doing so as it just grew (after being protected from snails) so I put it down to the fact that it was in a spot where I had buried all my vegie peelings which had been pulverised in the TMX. I keep a bucket in the sink for saving water and rising plates etc and this is also tipped out into the herb garden on a regular basis.  It is planted around the eastern side of the house so doesn't get an awful lot of sun.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 02:50:23 am »
Thanks for that,

so should I try from seed or plant. Or will the plant go to seed to quickly???

Bronte
Thermobron
Perth, WA

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 03:24:11 am »
Either will go to seed quickly in the heat Bronte...especially this time of the year on. You could use either. I also put some shade cloth over mine in the summer to help keep the direct sun off it. I think regularly picking it has also helped stopping it going to seed. So if you don't have guinea pigs - get some lol. No really just pick it and dry it.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 03:30:03 am »
Thanks faffa_70,

I think I know where to put it and no I dont have any Guinea pigs...although I would love some...maybe when my son is older???
Thermobron
Perth, WA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 12:47:48 pm »
When I buy herbs, I buy them in a little pot (costs around $3) so it isn't exactly a seedling - it has had a bit of a start in life. I did read once that there is a coriander that doesn't go to seed as quickly but there is only ever one type in my nursery. It's all trial and error Thermobron - just try anything, seeds, seedlings, plant, whatever and then next time try something different until you eventually hit on a winner.  The packets of fresh herbs you buy in the supermarket never have enough in them as far as I am concerned and for what you get, they are very expensive -  growing your own is the way to go.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 01:06:11 am »
Coriander is very hard to grow up here in Cairns but I seem to have some success so far by buying fresh coriander with long roots. Usually I use the roots but lately I have been cutting them off leaving a bit of the tops and sticking them in the garden. So far it seems to be working is the bush turkeys dont scratch them like they did my lemon grass. did you also know you can grow pineapple by cutting off the tops and just sticking them in a pot or garden.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 01:15:47 am »
I had heard that Gretchen, do you do it?  Especially in the north of Australia where things seem to propagate so easily.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 01:44:48 am »
Here is one I prepared earlier!

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:17 am »
Wonderful, can you cut the top off it again & plant that. Is this how the commercial crops are grown?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 02:07:13 am »
Yup. Can do. Easy as. Funny  really as i Sydney Ii used to buy small pineapples with their stems from the florist to use in flower arrangements. go figure :-))

Gert

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 04:13:26 am »
You're just a show-off Gretchen  :P :P :P - and I'm very envious  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I can't seem to grow coriander either - goes straight to seed, but my brother used to grow heaps without any going to seed and he didn't appear to do anything different  >:( >:( >:(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermobron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 02:19:44 pm »
Think I will put all types in a pot and see what happens..... :)

My mum grows pineapples in the deep south of WA...she has amazing green thumbs, but sadly no luck with corriander.

Thanks for all the advice
Thermobron
Perth, WA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 03:00:02 pm »
I did a bit of research on coriander and growing it seems to be a problem for 9 out of 10 people. Cooler months seem better for slowing the going-to-seed problem apparently.  Some say they don't bother because it only costs 50 cents a bunch at the shops - well hello, not in South Australia it doesn't, it's $3 for what I would call a 1/4 of a bunch so it is worthwhile persisting to at least get one good crop that you can either dry or freeze. I count myself lucky that I was able to do that this time round.